Expensive Tools

Anderzander

10 hours ago, Badger110 said:

a screwdriver is a screwdriver...after the hardened tip it's all just bells n whistles

I've found there's a massive difference between good and crappy screwdrivers. Just how well they fit in the screw and grip it etc.

• Like 4

I think we all recognise the differences of good quality tools - I guess the question is how far that goes? 

You can tell good tools have better materials and design - so they function better, are more robust, and are nicer to use..... 

... now I haven’t used these, and at the risk of going all hippy on you, I think there is a point then where so much care, time, and cost has gone in to getting all of that right that you end up with something beautiful- at least beautiful to use. 

I would think most of us have had some sight of beautiful engineering in some sphere ?  Perhaps these are that ?

I think there's a difference between really good quality and "hand-made with a wood & leather handle".

I'll second the huge difference a good quality screwdriver makes - Wiha & Wera are both noticeably better fitting & better gripping than random cheapies. Same with decent sockets & spanners.

• Like 2

I prefer all my tools with a solid handle. I always find ratchets or screwdrivers with the soft rubber get covered in grease that doesn't clean up well with a rag at the end of the day. I use snap on for most things that touch a fastener but use quite a bit of Halfords advanced bits elsewhere; ratchets etc

10 hours ago, elbekko said:

I've found there's a massive difference between good and crappy screwdrivers. Just how well they fit in the screw and grip it etc.

That was my point, Wera tips are pretty indestructible and fit European Screw heads very well with good grip and no wear outside of normal use.

• Like 2