O/T - Any Weightlifters / Bodybuilders On Here?

need4speed

9 hours ago, Daan said:

I assume you need an engine out of your landy and you have no hoist?

.... that takes me back!... 2nd year of university we got hold of a mates MG midget and rebuilt the engine, borrowed lockup, in nose first. three of us standing around looking at the unbolted lump sitting on the mounts pondering how to lift it. We decided to 'try' the weight of it,.. and to our surprise it was relatively easy, comically we hadn't thought it through (well maybe the other two had!) and there wasn't room for three to manoeuvre out so they gave it to me! They were kind enough to run out the other side and help me put it down though.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Daan said:

I used to row, and that involved quite a bit of weightlifting to build up muscles.

I assume you need an engine out of your landy and you have no hoist?

Daan

My son is mad keen on it.  He’s rowing at BUCS and Henley this summer.

As for me training, there is a three letter word more offensive to me than any four letter profanity: “gym”.  I don’t see ellipticals, cycling machines, ergs, treadmills and such - I see racks, stocks, iron maidens, branding irons and other inventive torture implements. 😱

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

My son is mad keen on it. 

As for me training, there is a three letter word more offensive to me than any four letter profanity: “gym”.  I don’t see ellipticals, cycling machines, ergs, treadmills and such - I see racks, stocks, iron maidens, branding irons and other inventive torture implements. 😱

I thought you meant lifting engines out !

Gym, yes. Dont forget wearing your vest back to front while watching yourself in a mirror slowly lifting a dumb bell ........

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Snagger said:

My son is mad keen on it.  He’s rowing at BUCS and Henley this summer.

Cool, I never quite made it to Henley, but we did try the Henley qualifiers- lost out by about 2 secs. We did win the Boston Marathon in a coxed four though.

Daan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Blanco said:

.... that takes me back!... 2nd year of university we got hold of a mates MG midget and rebuilt the engine, borrowed lockup, in nose first. three of us standing around looking at the unbolted lump sitting on the mounts pondering how to lift it. We decided to 'try' the weight of it,.. and to our surprise it was relatively easy, comically we hadn't thought it through (well maybe the other two had!) and there wasn't room for three to manoeuvre out so they gave it to me! They were kind enough to run out the other side and help me put it down though.

Mate and I once lifted the engine out of his old clubman yonks back. Two bits of tied up seatbelt and a bit of timber. 

In my early days, removed a 1098 from a Morris Minor, by disassembling most of it in situ, then unbolting the block and putting an arm down one of the cylinders, took hold and lifted it out onto a bench :) 

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2021 at 5:43 PM, need4speed said:

Guess its a case of ‘I used to’ or ‘I know someone’ :)

I do a bit of weight lifting for my rugby, though that’s been on pause for a while! I don’t do full Olympic style weight lifting, restricting myself to those exercises suited to playing as a front row.