Silencers

Anderzander

My Td5 has a straight through centre pipe, and with a factory rear section and it’s little silencer was really quite quiet.

I’ve replaced the factory rear section after it rotted out and now with the aftermarket replacement in it is much noisier…

So I’m thinking of cutting my centre pipe and clamping a stainless silencer in there - but I’m concerned that these separate silencers may not do much silencing ?

Can anyone recommend any smallish 2.5” stainless silencers or brands - that do take a decent amount of noise out please ? 

3 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Is it exterior exhaust noise or just drone in the cabin?

It’s become more ‘rawty’ if that’s a word - so louder in the cabin - but it will also be much louder outside too.  I might be missing something there though …? 

4 minutes ago, Mo Murphy said:

TBH Stephen it'd probably be cheaper and easier to buy a new centre section for the exhaust and sell your straight through section to recoup the cost.

Mo

I wondered about that - but having found out how rubbish a pattern part silencer could be - it made me think a replacement centre section would be the same. I also like the fact that it’s stainless and won’t rot …

Generally, the centre section is a resonation dampner rather than a true silencer. The actual sound deadening is down by the turbo (lots) and the back box. Your best bet is to get a decent back box, but good luck with that

It’s for the Defender rather than the D2.

I could replace it - and thought on it, partly what’s putting me off is effectively throwing away the new aftermarket one I’ve just fitted - and also I’m not sure how confident that a genuine or OEM one would be to the original quality. 

I’d been looking at this kind of thing :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Extra-Quiet-6-Stainless-Steel-Silencer-Muffler-Box-With-Extra-Baffles-/112677916229?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

No it won't. Bosal aftermarket is NOT the same as Original LR, even though the original has Bosal on it, its a much cheaper spec. If you look at an original, you will see it is mandrel bent, and probably stainless steel, even though it will still rust eventually (10 to 15 years ?)

Aftermarket version will likely be former bent, and you will be lucky if it lasts five years

• Like 2

On 12/3/2021 at 5:05 PM, smallfry said:

No it won't. Bosal aftermarket is NOT the same as Original LR, even though the original has Bosal on it, its a much cheaper spec. If you look at an original, you will see it is mandrel bent, and probably stainless steel, even though it will still rust eventually (10 to 15 years ?)

Aftermarket version will likely be former bent, and you will be lucky if it lasts five yars

...and Bearmach and Britpart  'JENEWEWINE' are made by Double S, from tin foil, with the bends formed by trained newts

What I used as the only silencer in the system:

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/jetex-handy-round-stainless-250mm-long-2-5-inch-u456300r

It is the last thing in the exhaust; the turbo is the main silencer, than about 2.5 m of pipe to damp the biggest exhaust waves, through the silencer to the outside world. Sound is good without being ridiculous.

large.IMG_5721.JPG.f6963b460fca24e018a7097fdf7ea083.JPG

Daan

• Like 1

I have always found exhaust systems sound noisier after a new box is fitted. The accumulated rust and carbon deposits add a fair amount to the sound deadening capabilities of the old box.

Like Ross has suggested - look out for 2nd hand new take off stuff. Original LR exhaust parts last a long time (compared to a replacement). I picked up a rear 2/3 (centre silencer inc pipes and rear box) of a Td5/Puma system for both my 90 and later on the 110 from auto jumbles. Both had the LR name embossed in them along with part numbers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

...and Bearmach and Britpart  'JENEWEWINE' are made by Double S, from tin foil, with the bends formed by trained newts

What a ridiculous statement ! Newts dont have any thumbs, and being a protected species, I doubt if Double S would get away with employing them ! Unless they are paying cash and doing it "off the books"

I have got a Double S pipe here somewhere, and if you hold it up to the light, you can almost see through it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I understand, from anecdotal accounts, that, whilst the newts do have training, it is mainly in arithmetic and basic first aid and not in exhaust bending.

HTH

Mo

• Like 2

14 hours ago, smallfry said:

What a ridiculous statement ! Newts dont have any thumbs, and being a protected species, I doubt if Double S would get away with employing them ! Unless they are paying cash and doing it "off the books"

I have got a Double S pipe here somewhere, and if you hold it up to the light, you can almost see through it.

Newts have opposable fingers and Palmate and Smooth newst are only protected under  Section 9(5) of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981

I was of course referring to the Alpine Newt - an immigrant species, that is used in it's home country as a small blacksmith.

Double S stainless is the very rare semi transluscent stainless steel...