Kinetic rope snapping

davidlandy

click on the above - I caught this today on my camera.

The chap in the hybrid had a couple of goes at getting the stuck 90 out when on the third attempt the rope let go and went straight through the rear window. There was no shackle attached luckily, otherwise the poor guy in the 90 would had got more than a shower of glass.

Closer inspection of the rope showed a knot in it at the point of the snap

Could had been real nasty.

Dave

Lucky that was just the rope then, that could have been nasty! I hope it never gets put to the test but its 1 reason i've got a double layer of supaglass on the rear screen; see video in the link below. I've hit a window repeatedly very hard with a club hammer without getting into the vehicle.

Supaglass

Monkeys.... :angry::rolleyes:<_<

if a KERR needs a knot in it, then it should be heading for the bin...

I'm a fan of KERR ropes, as used properly they're very good, but used like that they are a lethal weapon.

A knot in any rope/webbing will lower the effective strength to being between 50-80% of the 'normal' strength of the rope.

Knots in recovery gear is a big NO NO

Regards

Leeds

here's my tale.....marshalling at my local pnp last w/e i towed a cj with a broken rear prop from the middle of tthe site [not stuck]

to the exit....no probs.....engaged high to take him to nearby railstation carpark for rac recovery as i pulled away at tickover the strap

tightened with a small jerk then his hook came off .........sailed throo' my 4mm lam[bs veh spec] :o:o:o rear door glass n landed on

frt pass seat :blink::blink::o

threads in the captive nuts must have been strained no visible risk when we hooked upb4 this happened.

gives me the cold shivers a week later

what is on your vid is plain dangerous and stupid .

it's not a case of if but more when someone is injured/killed how will our hobby/sport be viewed by authorities ..and how would you feel telling

your offroad bud's family/wife/children he's dead

/rant mode off/

....just my 2p. worth

lets be careful

steveb [abit more grey hair :D ]

I've never used a Kinetic rope because I don't know how to use them, I've heard how dangerous they can be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, a Kinetic rope stores the energy used to stretch it, then snatches back at the angle it's pulled in, is that right? IE into the bank in the case above.

Yup, thats right. :) Its basically a stonkin great big lacky band, but with a little less twang.

But the forced stored up in a KER can be huge. The recovery point that it's attached to needs to be attached to the vehicle properly, rated bolts etc etc, and if necessary, bridled between 2 recovery points to spead the load.

I'm with Les on this, a nice slow, but controlled winch recovery would have been a much better idea. The chappy in the blue 90 would probably still have a back window if they had.

Poorly maintained recovery equipment is something that anyone with experience will condemn, but then it's also up to those of us with the experience to pass that knowledge on in a non-condescending way.

Lucky for Mr 90-man that there was no metalwork attached to the rope.

Dan

KERR's are a great idea but I would almost never use one as you really need to *know* that your vehicle, and the other, will be able to take the loads involved. Marshalling etc. you are recovering strangers a lot and the stuff you see makes you think twice about using anything stronger than sticky tape - towballs held on with roofing bolts, winch bumpers made of old fridges and JATE rings attached to chassis thinner than paper. Even the ones that look solid you can't trust.

Scariest thing I have seen was a stuck 90 being recovered (well, trying) with the following setup:

Towball bolted to winch bumper, a length of ratty blue nylon rope, a sodding big shackle, a KERR, onto a tow ball on the back of a 90, then a strop from the front of that to a V8 RRC all pulling their guts out and it was not moving. They weren't happy when we stepped up and told them to stop, but Ash & Mike came down and recovered them with Ash's winch and Mike acting as a ground anchor - took a bit of tugging but it came out nicely and everyone still had all their windows / panels / lives. Driver of 90 didn't even stop to say thanks :angry:

I've never used a Kinetic rope because I don't know how to use them, I've heard how dangerous they can be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, a Kinetic rope stores the energy used to stretch it, then snatches back at the angle it's pulled in, is that right? IE into the bank in the case above.

I suggest that you never use them, your vehicle might have good recovery points but what about the guy pulling you out?

From the video there looked like a good tree in front of the tow vehicle to use a tree strop and then a nice easy recovery with the winch and no-one gets hurt. The guy with the tow car had very limited traction and it was a toss-up between damaging his 90 or putting a hole in the rear window of the stuck 90..............................