OT: War, the rising cost of fuel, energy and everything else.

smallfry

On 3/6/2022 at 10:29 AM, Stellaghost said:

retirement is no good if I can't afford to put the heating on

The way things are going lately, NONE of us are going to be able to afford to put the heating on !

Luckily we have the Woodburner, and a good wood supply !  

• Like 1

I have a log burner, but no cheap logs available, buying them in is £££

I have an oil fired boiler, and have seen the pence per litre go from 20ppl to 110ppl today. I normally use 1000l a year, so my average heating/hot water bill has gone from ~£300 to ~£1000.

I have 2 bars left on my 10 bar gauge, I have turned the normal running thermostat down to 18C when I am about (evenings) and only 16C to take the edge in the mornings. There is no way I am paying the overinflated prices right at the moment.

Fortunately the house is well insulated and I am relatively young, and own slippers and warm jumpers. For people in less well insulated homes, who are older, and perhaps even single glazed, it must be terrifying. I know some locally had heating bills of £2K in oil, that would be closer to £6K at current prices. 

Utter madness, and as usual the poor will be the worst hit.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Bowie69 said:

I have an oil fired boiler, and have seen the pence per litre go from 20ppl to 110ppl today. I normally use 1000l a year, so my average heating/hot water bill has gone from ~£300 to ~£1000.

I have 2 bars left on my 10 bar gauge, I have turned the normal running thermostat down to 18C when I am about (evenings) and only 16C to take the edge in the mornings. There is no way I am paying the overinflated prices right at the moment.

Fortunately the house is well insulated and I am relatively young, and own slippers and warm jumpers. For people in less well insulated homes, who are older, and perhaps even single glazed, it must be terrifying. I know some locally had heating bills of £2K in oil, that would be closer to £6K at current prices. 

110ppl :o 

Mom runs a syndicate in the village (~80,000L order) and takes nothing other than the same discount as anyone. Worth asking around if there's a few of you who use oil in your area.

14 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Have chainsaw, will travel lol

Mountains of logs up here, last storm flattened whole forests

I'm lucky I guess I have never paid for logs yet, just costs me time and fuel regards Stephen

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I must admit that if we didnt have access to free logs (and pallets) it wouldnt really be viable financially.

We also have the oil boiler for radiators and hot water, but only use it for hot water sometimes. I put 1500 L in the tank in 2017 and its still going. Its a bit annoying because I need to move the tank, but by what you say I wouldnt fill it up ATM because of the cost, but we can live without it being that SWMBO is proper "country" and does not whinge about such things. As you say, it must be awful for those who have young children, or are elderly or ill.

I hope the price will come down soon, but I am not holding my breath. 

We both have "indoors only" padded boiler suits that we wear if its cold and the Woodburner is not on. Its generally lit for the benefit of the cat, rather than me ! We also heat large pans of water on it, and SWMBO often cooks on it too ! All normal for us !

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

White space is back! 

When did you pay 110? Mom's last order was I think 59ppl, end of Jan/early Feb. Syndicates are well worth it! 

I haven't, that's what it's now.

• Sad 1

We had oil based heating in our last house but so many things used to pee me off about it. I got fed up with unreliable deliveries, the chore of ringing around suppliers haggling over the price every time we needed a refill, boiler servicing costs, the inefficiency of long runs of pipework, the list goes on. The village had no mains gas and the prices negotiated by the oil club never really seemed to be that competitive. 

When we bought this old, somewhat isolated farmhouse, the only heating here was open fireplaces, a solid fuel AGA that had been in place since the 50s (no rads connected) and electric night store heaters. The combination worked but we eventually decided to have an electric conversation on the AGA as the dust from the solid fuel (coal) was playing up my son's asthma. 

We had a woodburner and chimney liner installed in the largest open fireplace too. We are now actively looking for a woodburning stove and cooker combination so we will have heating and cooking if, or rather when, we have a power cut. 

There is no mains gas out here, I don't want a bulk LPG tank nor to I want to install miles of plumbing feeding radiators around the place.

Wood we have.

Bowie

I can probably sort you for logs for next winter. I manage about 3.5k hectares of trees - One of my subbies stores a load of timber for me and a couple of friends. We collect form his yard. Maybe 25 tonnes a year or so. We log it up in the yard. Two lads on the saw and a posch log splitter on the BM600. If you fance helping haul logs back to the yard, we can work out a swap for split sawn logs, or you can haul back to your place and cut and split your own.

Oh and see if you are close enough to Sedgemoor to join SLOGS - it a local buying group with over 2k members

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

129ppl now.

Scary thing, as alluded to by @Happyoldgit above, is that this could well be the start of a (or continuation of the existing) massive rise in prices as everything is linked to hydrocarbon prices, transport, food production, plastics etc.

But while we worry about price rises, there are innocent people in immediate danger for their life.

While it sucks as much as it does, there are people in far worse situations right now.

P.s. not sure how we got from gearboxes to oil prices to war in one thread, but I guess who cares.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Scary thing, as alluded to by @Happyoldgit above, is that this could well be the start of a (or continuation of the existing) massive rise in prices as everything is linked to hydrocarbon prices, transport, food production, plastics etc.

Another major impact as from 1 April is the change in red diesel legislation. Only Agriculture/Horticulture is exempt so every digger/dumper etc has to run on white and so does every fridge unit on chiller lorries. 

Will be a big knock on impact 

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

129ppl now.

But while we worry about price rises, there are innocent people in immediate danger for their life.

While it sucks as much as it does, there are people in far worse situations right now.

P.s. not sure how we got from gearboxes to oil prices to war in one thread, but I guess who cares.

When I'm back on my laptop later I might have a look to see if there's a reasonable point where the thread can be split. As the current situation impacts all of us I think it is worthy of its own dedicated space.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1