EV conversions

Anderzander

10 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Unfortunately the solution to battery range needs to be a move back to living where you work. Whilst unstainable at the moment due to house prices it will have to change and this needs to start at the top to enable it to filter down. So if the government and well off really want to tackle climate change it needs to start with them, which we all know it won't so we are doomed to not get anywhere.

Mike

It's not just house prices though - it's decades of planning decisions allowing out of town developments to mushroom; allowing town centres to stagnate; and basically making us dependent on individual, personal transport to live our lives. Couple this with dreadful/non-existent public transport in huge swathes of the country and you have an extremely (if not impossible) problem to fix. 

I'm afraid I'm probably as optimistic as you are that we'll find a solution because "the money" isn't convinced yet. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Pocket change. That's nothing.

Especially when you consider the build cost and time, for Hinkley C. 

Four Biomass power stations have been built and integrated into the Grid, since Hinkley C was started; and well over 50 AD units All in the Southwest

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 12:24 PM, miketomcat said:

Unfortunately the solution to battery range needs to be a move back to living where you work. Whilst unstainable at the moment due to house prices it will have to change and this needs to start at the top to enable it to filter down. So if the government and well off really want to tackle climate change it needs to start with them, which we all know it won't so we are doomed to not get anywhere.

Mike

Going to need a much bigger driveway…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had only my second drive in an electric car yesterday, my brother in law's Kia EV6.  It felt like a smooth and sorted big V12 and not as annoyingly electronic as I expected.  It was very awkward manoeuvring between parked cars as the engine basically switches on and off and feels very disconnected and visibility out the back is terrible, so you rely on strange cameras.  Otherwise, though, I can understand why he likes it.

Strangely, as I hopped back in my six cylinder Freelander 2, it immediately felt so much better.  It took me a while to realise why that was - it's the feedback.  Hearing and feeling the motor and transmission was surprisingly pleasant by comparison.  They say you get used to anything (they're wrong - two years in and I still haven't got used to the FL2s terribly over-assisted steering!) but I'm sure you would get used to the different type of feedback in an electric car in time.  It struck me that converting a Series might be better in that respect than a purpose designed modern electric car.  Less sound-proofing, transmission noise, plenty of steering feedback etc. could make it a bit more tactile to drive?

• Like 4

So much of the debate is influenced by the ancillaries to the motor; Tesla with their insistence on autocrash, others with the bizarre and stylish body styles, strange weighting of controls, etc, that it's clouding the comparison with dinosaur powered vehicles.

I agree with @deep the motor and energy store, fitted to a simple vehicle, makes sense. 

We still need better energy density and faster ways of refreshing it. But we'll get there.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

So much of the debate is influenced by the ancillaries to the motor; Tesla with their insistence on autocrash, others with the bizarre and stylish body styles, strange weighting of controls, etc, that it's clouding the comparison with dinosaur powered vehicles.

That could be said for ICE too?

True, but ICE is the default, so my point was, I think, that the extras cloud the comparison with electric.

I would be interested in a Tesla vehicle, but without the auto pilot and the non tactile controls. And the cost!!!

And, bar early adopters and the technorati, I suspect most drivers would be the same. 

• Like 1

I would love to drive a Munro and an ibex side by side. Neither have all the toys and it's the same base vehicle. It would make for the best ev, ice comparison. Especially as the payload and towing weights are the same. It would be interesting to see how badly the range is hit with 3500kg on the back. Ironically they're releasing the Munro in the this week in Edinburgh.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I would love to drive a Munro and an ibex side by side. Neither have all the toys and it's the same base vehicle. It would make for the best ev, ice comparison. Especially as the payload and towing weights are the same. It would be interesting to see how badly the range is hit with 3500kg on the back. Ironically they're releasing the Munro in the this week in Edinburgh.

Mike

Have you seen the updates to the new version of the Ibex F8? now the FX and designed to have all the same attributes, but with a lot done for EV versions.

35 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

It would be interesting to see how badly the range is hit with 3500kg on the back

It'll depend a lot on what type of 3500kg. A low flatbed with some steel beams on it is going to hit the range a lot less than a big box trailer. Same as for an ICE car, but more pronounced.

An Ibex EV will be interesting either way, because it's not really the most aerodynamic vehicle to start with.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, deep said:

It struck me that converting a Series might be better in that respect than a purpose designed modern electric car.  Less sound-proofing, transmission noise, plenty of steering feedback etc. could make it a bit more tactile to drive?

Series do lend themselves better in having manual steering and, on earlier models, non-servo brakes, so you don’t need electrical pumps that sap battery power.  Their owners are also generally quite used to an ineffective heater, so you can save more battery there with just heated seats and screens, rather than having big resistive element heater units.  There is also the large space in the chassis voids to locate batteries, easier than many cars, and the load bay if you are willing to give that up.  So, many advantages in old vehicles and especially Series LRs compared to converting more modern vehicles.

• Like 1

One big reason to now doubt their practicality, in one word: Switzerland.  If they, as one of the more ardent environmentally sensitive countries, can propose bans on charging EVs, then it will be easy for other governments to follow suit.

19 hours ago, Gazzar said:

I agree with @deep the motor and energy store, fitted to a simple vehicle, makes sense. 

We still need better energy density and faster ways of refreshing it. But we'll get there.

A hybrid conversion kit would be the way to go. It removes the massive carbon hole created by the build of any modern vehicle. Removes a big chunk of the cost and hits the economy, reduced emmisions requirement nicely, without having to live with the charging issues

I agree, but there's a very powerful lobby group that sways government policy in favour of new vehicles. Worldwide.

Also has a huge influence on spacial planning, local government planning rules and such like.

Money talks.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

I agree, but there's a very powerful lobby group that sways government policy in favour of new vehicles. Worldwide.

Also has a huge influence on spacial planning, local government planning rules and such like.

Money talks.

Hell yes

2 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Money talks.

That lobby group has considerable power.  They seem to sway that government policy no matter which end of the political spectrum is in power too!  What we actually end up with is far too many vehicles which then get taken off the road for trivial problems, allowing more wasteful production.  

I believe hybrids and electric vehicles will be even worse for a quick turnover.  I saw a hybrid Corolla taken away the other day because it hadn't been driven for five months and replacing the batteries wasn't an economic fix!  It wouldn't run on petrol because the electric side was dead...