EV conversions

Anderzander

Actually doing a bit of reading on this following my initial comment it seems you can get more efficient setups doing electrical -> hydraulic rather than direct electric but it's not straight forward.

It's all down to sizing of the motors etc., and usually electric -> hydraulic can win over direct electric if there are multiple motors / axis involved. The (simplified) reasoning being that each movement needs to be sized for it's peak load thus making it bigger than it might need to be in most normal operation and thus less efficient normally. However if you use hydraulics the stuff averages out over the axes so you can be more efficient in your coupling of motor to pump.

This is usually when there's lots of gearing and multiple motors involved so I don't think it holds true in our simple example of a winch setup.

13 hours ago, deep said:

Which is why I have carried a Tirfor for years - and had occasion to use it!

We ran hydro in the racers over several events in very nasty stuff - a well maintained engine shouldn't stop unless you're upside-down or completely underwater, and in that eventuality there's the bad old method of Hi-Lift or most likely another vehicle to pull you over/out.

The rest of the time, adding weight & complexity "just in case" is how people end up with 90's that weigh as much as a Unimog and get more stuck in the first place...

• Like 2

I love this thread derailment. 

I've a 101 that has had the winch removed. This was in the side on the chassis rail, and powered by a take off from the transfer box. Unique to the 101, this was a shaft from the side of the transfer box.

I've located a winch, but can't find the transfer box kit. So I'm thinking of other ways of powering the winch.

I've 24v electrics and could probably find a standard PTO kit. 

What would be a smart option? Simple (very), repairable, affordable?

30 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I've 24v electrics and could probably find a standard PTO kit

It will depend on what the gearbox is like on the winch, my suspicion would be you'd need to gear it down a lot to get a 24V motor working on it.

An 8hp Bowmotor 2 plus could be enough, but the gearing issue persists.

1 hour ago, Gazzar said:

I love this thread derailment. 

I've a 101 that has had the winch removed. This was in the side on the chassis rail, and powered by a take off from the transfer box. Unique to the 101, this was a shaft from the side of the transfer box.

I've located a winch, but can't find the transfer box kit. So I'm thinking of other ways of powering the winch.

I've 24v electrics and could probably find a standard PTO kit. 

What would be a smart option? Simple (very), repairable, affordable?

What you need is a SIdewinder. Weird winch. Actually suprisingly effective. Rare as a rare thing. Especially over here

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/vic-hickey-sidewinder-winch-refurb.938593/

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

But the discussion started out as an electric back-up to the PTO/engine driven pump, which I do think can be very useful.

I can't help but think driving the winch electrically and using your existing alternator / battery as a "backup" might work out the easiest way round to cover that scenario :ph34r:

But then winch challenge logic is not always normal logic :lol:

5 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Not so far.....

He will have one - he'll have just forgotten where it is, or the fact that he has one.

After all everyone on the Cummins forum are ranting and raving about 1:1 ratio and he's had 0.9 ratio transfer boxes festering in his yard for decades.

• 1 month later...

Had my first experience of an EV yesterday.  One of the tall Teslas.  They are massively overrated.  Apart from the godawful touch screen instead of real, tactile controls, the door latches use small electric switches to open the door from the inside, which is as costly as it is dangerous and they are hard to find if you don’t know the cars, the seats are far too hard for long journeys and the noise at motorway speeds is no different to an ICE vehicle because of the tyre noise, even on their special tyres.  Other EVs are probably a better option.  Late Teslas boast very good range, but that’d be heavily reduced here because of the continuous use of AC.  Their range may still be greater than almost all competitors, but that is never the only consideration.  I was never a Tesla fan, but this was still disappointing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Had my first experience of an EV yesterday.  One of the tall Teslas.  They are massively overrated.  Apart from the godawful touch screen instead of real, tactile controls, the door latches use small electric switches to open the door from the inside, which is as costly as it is dangerous and they are hard to find if you don’t know the cars, the seats are far too hard for long journeys and the noise at motorway speeds is no different to an ICE vehicle because of the tyre noise, even on their special tyres.  Other EVs are probably a better option.  Late Teslas boast very good range, but that’d be heavily reduced here because of the continuous use of AC.  Their range may still be greater than almost all competitors, but that is never the only consideration.  I was never a Tesla fan, but this was still disappointing.

I've driven a few now. Liked none of them. Pretty much for the same reasons...

Love our new work XC90 Hybrids though.

• Like 2

The unequivocal, fervent and blind adulation some people have for Tesla is really just blind brand-love.  It’s the same with the overpriced, overrated Apple products.  At least the bulk of us on this forum are well aware of the shortcomings of our favoured brand, despite our loyalty, and many of us just have a love for a certain model or era from the company, not a fetish about everything they make.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Snagger said:

The unequivocal, fervent and blind adulation some people have for Tesla is really just blind brand-love.  It’s the same with the overpriced, overrated Apple products.  At least the bulk of us on this forum are well aware of the shortcomings of our favoured brand, despite our loyalty, and many of us just have a love for a certain model or era from the company, not a fetish about everything they make.

Totally agree with this. Apple and Tesla are both on the list of companies I would never pay a penny of my own money to.

Not driven an electric car yet but a mate has a Porsche Taycan on order and it will be interesting to compare it to our Panamera given they are both the same brand

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I don't have a fetish for everything they make, but for me my various iPhones over the years and my ipad just work. All the time, zero issues, zero fuss. Yet family with all sorts of brands of android stuff are always having problems with them, even the tech savvy folks. I see zero point in their laptop and desktop options unless you're doing lots of video editing as they do seem to work better for that. 

I do agree with the Tesla thing though! Several I know with them and as far as I can see the only benefit to a tesla is the charge network. Build quality seems terrible for a start! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

I see zero point in their laptop and desktop options unless you're doing lots of video editing as they do seem to work better for that. 

Excellent for a web developer, as in my case.

• Like 1

I am not an Apple "nut" but I do have an iPhone and a Macbook Air. The phone just works, as Ross says and as for the MacBook it was utterly amazing to make the jump from a Windows Sony Vaio in 2011.

I used to travel for work, a lot and needed to snatch moments to work on stuff. With the MacBook I could open it and be typing within a few seconds. I could close the lid, shove it in my bag and move on, without worrying that it hadn't hibernated properly. It was just brilliant. That's before i mention the backlight on the keyboard and the track pad that really did function without a mouse. It was in a totally different league to the Vaio / XP environment.

The Apple model of hardware and software design, I thought, is supposed to make for far better support and seamless upgrading. I haven't paid for a new Operating system or upgrade, except when I moved to a newer MacBook about four years ago. I don't have recent Windows experience (although I do still run some old software on the Vaio) but I do still love the Mac environment and can't imagine going back.

I would point out that most of the utterly uselessness of my iPhone is the carp battery life in the cold, medium cold , very warm and hot; the lack of IP68 integrity and mostly the fact that it rebels against all the carpy software that we are forced to use as a government organisation. It takes great pictures, when the battery is working. I can see a place for iPhones but not within an outside environment or as part of the equipment issued to a compnay that won't fork out for better software. Android works with carpy software and unstable unions betoween said carpy software. It's cheap, so if and when it breaks, who cares.

As my out of work life is just like my work life, same goes there

• Like 1