O/T Wildlife in the workshop

steve b

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

Can you get a better picture of the bees? I'm trying to identify them

I can certainly try, I know one of them looks like a big bumblebee assuming this is the queen, the others are smaller and look black and orangeish regards Stephen

• Like 1

Last picture, nest totally enclosed now so going to let them get on with it

They do however seem to be burrowing into the stump just above the nest either for fibres or an extension 

Very interesting having watched them I think they are tree bumblebees regards Stephen 

20220524_120603.thumb.jpg.b9278b22c79259d405819554ce033fa5.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Last picture, nest totally enclosed now so going to let them get on with it

They do however seem to be burrowing into the stump just above the nest either for fibres or an extension 

Very interesting having watched them I think they are tree bumblebees regards Stephen 

20220524_120603.thumb.jpg.b9278b22c79259d405819554ce033fa5.jpg

It does look like a Bumblebee nest - they actually have little chainsaws

• Haha 2

Currently the white 110 that is in the tree (still....) has a robins nest in the heater opening on the dash, a wrens nest in the top right corner, blue tits in the engine bay, a missile thrush (not a typo...) above the chassis next to fuel tank, blackbirds in tree (thats why it is still in the tree!).

The garage has angry swallows, friendly wrens, overly friendly robins all nesting with chicks.  Wasps nest (Vespula germanica) removed from garage with extreme prejudice. 

I miss the Hornet that used to hibernate in the kitchen when I lived in Devon, was a really cool critter

• Like 2

On 5/23/2022 at 3:21 PM, Nonimouse said:

Can you get a better picture of the bees? I'm trying to identify them

Be careful with single individuals, some of the solitary bees very closely resemble the colonial bumble bees in terms of paternation....  I found that out the hard way...

7 hours ago, JeffR said:

The garage has angry swallows, friendly wrens, overly friendly robins all nesting with chicks.

Not to be too OT but I've read that Robins are not friendly at all and their propensity to get up close is actually a furious display to see us off their territory.

I just like the idea we're all thinking how adorable and friendly they are while really there is nothing but a hate-filled rage with the burning intensity of a thousand (tiny) suns inside their little heads.

It's the small things....

• Haha 1

Adjusting the steering box on the '43 Jeep today I decided to give the old gal's nipples a bit of attention. As I walked over to get a fresh grease cartridge off the shelf a wee mouse scurried across the floor and disappeared under the shelf racking. Probably the great, great, great grandkid of the one that chewed through my mower wiring...   

Plenty of birds (with plenty of chicks, judging by the rate they empty the feeders, though I don't know where their nests are), but as far as more invasive wildlife goes no wasp nests yet this year. I'm just at war with the rats - who are well ahead on points. They've worked out not to touch bait, seems they've now leaned to avoid traps, even when lured with suet (only thing that would get them near, and they still managed to eat it and escape more often than I caught them), and they're back in the loft. Not sure where they're getting in, I repaired the felt where they chewed through last time and blocked it up. Got a camera trap in there trying to find out...

The garage smells of rats, but I think it's more then using the gully behind it as a run, no sign of them in there.

We have regular rat issues, I use high velocity lead poison. The we have no rats for a while. Then they come back. Repeat scenario

I've only got two chickens now, so when they are gone, there will be no reason for them to come back

On 5/26/2022 at 7:51 PM, ThreePointFive said:

Not to be too OT but I've read that Robins are not friendly at all and their propensity to get up close is actually a furious display to see us off their territory.

I just like the idea we're all thinking how adorable and friendly they are while really there is nothing but a hate-filled rage with the burning intensity of a thousand (tiny) suns inside their little heads.

It's the small things....

Its really not that at all. Robins are only aggressive to their own kind and mostly during the breeding season or when food is really scarce. They get close to us when gardening because they see us as pigs, turning over the soil for them to take advantage of the easy pickings. They also recognise you if you feed them. We had a Robin here for five years that I could hand feed with grated cheese. He, or she (hard to tell the difference) would come into the lobby chirping to remind us it was feeding time. We named him Mr Cheese. Sadly gone now. He was also a beautiful singer, so loud too, I couldnt believe such a small bird could produce such volume. 

• Like 3

I have one that follows me around while I  mow the lawn,  picking up insects/ worms a few feet behind me. 

Very dear.

Heard a black cap singing near me recently,  beautiful song,  and even louder than my tame Robin. 

• western changed the title to O/T Wildlife in the workshop
19 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

We have regular rat issues, I use high velocity lead poison. The we have no rats for a while. Then they come back. Repeat scenario

I've only got two chickens now, so when they are gone, there will be no reason for them to come back

Poisons are awful, buggers tend to crawl somewhere very inconvenient die , then stink the place out.  25 caliber better at dispensing high (actually low)velocity lead poisoning.

I have problems shooting rats these days as currently have 13 pet rats...all rescues.Not to mention 2 hamsters, 3 cats, the worlds angriest rabbit and two obligatory guinea pigs.

Also 4 jackdaw chicks that came down the chimney whose parents decided we could do a better job of raising them than they could. Had the same jackdaws in the chimney for about a decade.Male has a small white flash on left wing  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I have one that follows me around while I  mow the lawn,  picking up insects/ worms a few feet behind me. 

Very dear.

Heard a black cap singing near me recently,  beautiful song,  and even louder than my tame Robin. 

During lockdown counted 63 species of bird in and around my garden, ranging from Goldcrests (chicks are super cute) to Common buzzards. Have 5 species that will take food from my hands

Back garden Robins, Blue Tits, Great Tits, Wrens and Chaffinch.  Kind of got attached to em.

Will have plenty time to get some other species tame later this year after cervical spine fusion puts me on sick for a few months....

20 hours ago, smallfry said:

Its really not that at all. Robins are only aggressive to their own kind and mostly during the breeding season or when food is really scarce. They get close to us when gardening because they see us as pigs, turning over the soil for them to take advantage of the easy pickings. They also recognise you if you feed them. We had a Robin here for five years that I could hand feed with grated cheese. He, or she (hard to tell the difference) would come into the lobby chirping to remind us it was feeding time. We named him Mr Cheese. Sadly gone now. He was also a beautiful singer, so loud too, I couldnt believe such a small bird could produce such volume. 

Sounds like I need to fire my ornithological psychologist. Can't even remember where I read/heard/saw it so not surprised I'm wrong.