Please help identify Rover V8 noise

dave88sw

I've posted here because it covers various models. The engine is a 3.9 from a 92 RRC but it's in my 1986 110.

Bit of background, I gave the engine a freshen up before fitting including a new cam and lifters, new timing chain and gears and the heads were fully refurbed. It's done about 1200 miles, this noise has always been there once warm, it's not there on a cold start.  I've checked the rocker shafts and they're good.

The noise cant be heard when driving, it goes when revving but comes in as the revs fall as you can hear in the video, almost undetectable at idle.

All parts came from Turners but I believe the lifters were in an allmakes box. 

It's got fresh 20/50 oil in it.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful, it's really stopping me enjoying the car.

Thanks, Dave 

I posted on my phone but the video plays fine on my laptop, is anyone else having an issue with the video?

All the plugs are the same colour and none oily (it had a dead lambda so was running a bit rich, I've been checking plug colour for a while).

I'm leaning towards a sticky lifter but I dont understand why it doesnt tick at idle, it's only really as the revs drop.  

It's hard to narrow down where the noise is coming from but it sounds very much like it's in the valley.

Whatever it is, it is flapping about on overrun.

Recordings made on phones with poor microphones, listened to on phones with poor speakers make it very heard to hear how much 'gravity' is in a noise... need to be there really.

As above, long 🪛 or stethoscope to fine where it is coming from.

I should have said, I initially had 10/40 oil in it but switched to 20/50 to see if it would help. If anything it made it worse.

I'll try and get a stethoscope on it but if it's a noisy tappet I doubt I'll get the end of the stethoscope close enough to be able to tell where it's coming from.

Its otherwise running great with plenty of power. I just cant stand that noise.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, dave88sw said:

Just wanted to update this and say, I've fixed the awful noise. Unfortunately, my fix wont help many people with the same noise from their Rover V8 but on the plus side, it is now much smoother, faster, more economical and just a much nicer vehicle. 

I'd recommend to anyone :lol:

20220810_151508.jpg

Have I missed the build thread? This thread seems to have missed a couple of tiny steps! 🙂

3 hours ago, dave88sw said:

Just wanted to update this and say, I've fixed the awful noise. Unfortunately, my fix wont help many people with the same noise from their Rover V8 but on the plus side, it is now much smoother, faster, more economical and just a much nicer vehicle. 

I'd recommend to anyone :lol:

20220810_151508.jpg

....that'll fix it :). As above , more details required on the conversion and build now please . It looks very at home in there .

Steve

I only got it on the road yesterday, it was running/driving last Wednesday but I had to wait to get it in for a custom exhaust.  I've already done about a hundred miles, grinning ear to ear.

I'll try and find some time over the weekend to do a build thread, it might take some time, this is the third engine conversion in this vehicle 😅.  It started off as about 2/3 of a Defender with a 2.5NA in it, i stuck a 300 in it because it was the sensible thing to do but i was never happy with it, then put a 3.9 Rover V8 in but that wasn't in good health (hence this thread) and a rebuilt block would have cost more than this conversion.  It's cost me about £3000 but I think it's money well spent.

• Like 2

I was/am going to do this, but the project stalled eight years ago, and I have not touched it since.

Have you gone manual or auto ? Conversion plate or coupled the Lexus AW box to the LT230 ? Aftermarket engine management or standard Lexus ?

Unlike the Rover engine, no more knackered camshafts after 50 miles, and it will never, ever, go wrong. If it does, it will be your fault ! 

I'll do a proper write up when I get chance as there seems to be interest in the conversion but to answer a few questions.

The engine is out of a 1996 Toyota/lexus Soarer, it's a "gen 2" 1UZFE. About 250/260bhp. The Soarer version has a mid/rear sump bowl (ls400 has a front sump, wants to occupy the same space as the front axle). It is mated via an adapter from synchro gearboxes to a 300tdi R380 box, I've kept the original ECU and (with a lot of alteration) the original loom so it is running all its original sensors including lambda sensors, although you can megasquirt these easily enough.  Engine mounts are custom, welded to the chassis. Some thought had to go into a lot of the connections to the car but really, it wasnt a difficult job.

Theres a great guide to the wiring on the lexus forums, although I found some of it wasnt quite accurate, it pointed me in the right direction.

You will need to alter the RH exhaust manifold but it's fairly simple. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Out of interest, did you do an autopsy on the 3.9 or had you just lost interest at that point?

I had totally lost interest I'm afraid. I spent forever trying to stop it binging on fuel, cutting out at junctions and making that awful racket but eventually admitted defeat. I wasnt enjoying driving the car.

It's on the garage floor if anyone wants to pull it to bits :P.  My extensive googling kept coming back to little ends.

No, alternator is in standard location, my engine is sat further back (r380 box is mounted in LT77 position) so theres loads of room. The belt is about 15mm from the steering box but will never touch. 

The belt follows the standard route except I've deleted the hydraulic fan pump and ac compressor. The belt is a 6pk1558

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, only just seen this.  Unfortunately i sold it a while back.  My dads got a 3.5 Rover V8 that was on carbs (carbs and alternator/starter missing, i think otherwise complete) out of his Defender that he'd sell if that's any good?