ANR1534

GW8IZR

Hi, long time since I was here, been a funny few years hasn’t it?

Well the 90 passed its annual test this week, 235 miles since this time last year….

I have 5 of the aforementioned ANR1534 wheels , I always wanted a set of zu alloys on my 90 which I eventually bought and fitted Goodrich AT and they looked great….. but after a while I’m falling out of love with them (they seem a bit less utilitarian to me now) so I’m looking at my steel wheels again.

has anyone had them banded , if that’s the correct term, anyway made them suitable for tubeless tyres? 

I have seen them advertised for rather a lot of money in the past but that may not be the case today so just weighing up options really?

TIA

You can buy wide standard looking wheels now, and also I would reccamend selling your 'expensive' wheels and buying some dirt cheap tubuless ones from a later defender and banding these given the banding costs will be the same....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, muddy said:

You can buy wide standard looking wheels now, and also I would reccamend selling your 'expensive' wheels and buying some dirt cheap tubuless ones from a later defender and banding these given the banding costs will be the same....

Thanks for the reply, that does make sense although if you can buy wide standard looking wheels then I guess my “expensive“ wheels are no longer “expensive“ 🙂

I suppose I could just put tubed tires on the rims and I’ve done with it, but I looked recently for a tyre Similar to an  Avon range master and I nearly fell through the floor at the price.

30 minutes ago, western said:

landroversforever has a set of 5 XD/Wolf steels banded a while ago, not sure where he got them done, but I'm sure he would share the info. 

Hi , thanks that would be useful info 

then of course, it’s just occurred To me that they will then be non-standard rims.

In days gone by I ran around with tubeless tyres on these rims by just sticking tubes in them and the only issue I ever had was five flats in a weekend due to BFG build tags! Once I cleaned the inside of the tyres properly and fitted HD inner tubes I did countless thousands of miles with no problems, today I’m older and maybe not as brave. 

Edited by GW8IZR

29 minutes ago, Mudmonkey said:

Not sure how much banding is but the replica "ANR" wheels are £170 per wheel and are probably a bit more insurance friendly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174283058609

I have a set fitted to the 100"

52186221408_f81e3f3d14_b.jpg

Yes they look nice those..

I reckon mine would have been better if Craddock's had followed my instruction and put the white lettering on the inside.. but that was about five years ago and I could have knocked them off and re fitted them many times by now 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.365b4a72acabfff69143922a716f537a.jpeg

I looked at those - but thought they were more money …. 

I did mine to 7 1/2” though so I may have still gone for the banding route.

Your points on Insurance are well made … also I think banding is £50-£90 per wheel, more if you want to turn tubes to tubeless - and then you’ve got paint. 

So likely little difference in cost.

3 hours ago, Anderzander said:

The banding of mine started here … 

Interesting thread, echoing my findings when I looked carefully at the chassis - I saw a new galvanised chassis as an opportunity 🙂

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GW8IZR said:

Interesting thread, echoing my findings when I looked carefully at the chassis - I saw a new galvanised chassis as an opportunity 🙂

Me too.  I think that is how it starts for many of us - building a car for the rest of our lives.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Me too.  I think that is how it starts for many of us - building a car for the rest of our lives.

I did mine as a lifetime vehicle, I’ve owned it since 94, it’s been a 2 1/4 , a 2.5 a 3.5 and a 3.9  petrol but the Tdi was meant to take me through retirement - maybe that isn’t going to work out longer term and I may have to consider going back to petrol. If I get a few more years of oil burning I’ll be content.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2022 at 2:16 PM, Mudmonkey said:

Not sure how much banding is but the replica "ANR" wheels are £170 per wheel and are probably a bit more insurance friendly

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174283058609

I have a set fitted to the 100"

52186221408_f81e3f3d14_b.jpg

Nice rims, although somewhat pricey considering essentially the same rim with less offset is about £60/rim or maybe even less for a modular/8-spoke. So, some serious greedy profiteering going on with the people that make them.

Also worth noting they are 8" wide. Which is too wide for a 7.50 x 16 or even a 235/85R16 tyre. Meaning you have to run 'fat' tyres. Which may well stick out of the standard wheel arches, which is then illegal in the UK. Meaning you'd need wide flares too.

A 255/85R16 will just fit as the upper rim width limit. But they will have a bit of a 'stretch' appearance about them.

48 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Nice rims, although somewhat pricey considering essentially the same rim with less offset is about £60/rim or maybe even less for a modular/8-spoke. So, some serious greedy profiteering going on with the people that make them.

I don't think that's a fair comparison.... there are loads of cheap and nasty steels out there and I'm sure most of them for example aren't TUV approved for a start. 

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Also worth noting they are 8" wide. Which is too wide for a 7.50 x 16 or even a 235/85R16 tyre. Meaning you have to run 'fat' tyres. Which may well stick out of the standard wheel arches, which is then illegal in the UK. Meaning you'd need wide flares too.

A 255/85R16 will just fit as the upper rim width limit. But they will have a bit of a 'stretch' appearance about them.

Unfortunately that's business, if you want a set of genuine ones you'll pay even more. I'm sure if they prove to be popular and time passes more companies will make them and the prices will possibly drop. I'm sure the quality will drop with that and you'll spend a small fortune on wheel weights instead. 

I'm running 285/75/16s on mine, not to everyone's taste but I've ran them on a couple of vehicles now and get on with them. It's fairly easy nowadays to chuck all the details in an online calculator and figure out the amount of tyre "poke" you'll be getting, these sit flush with the edge of the standard arch. Anything wider would be questionable.

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I don't think that's a fair comparison.... there are loads of cheap and nasty steels out there and I'm sure most of them for example aren't TUV approved for a start. 

In the U.K. they don’t need to be TUV approved. And there is nothing to say the cheaper steel rims wouldn’t meet the standard anyway. But there is a cost of getting the approval. 

On 7/1/2022 at 11:35 AM, GW8IZR said:

Hi, long time since I was here, been a funny few years hasn’t it?

Well the 90 passed its annual test this week, 235 miles since this time last year….

I have 5 of the aforementioned ANR1534 wheels , I always wanted a set of zu alloys on my 90 which I eventually bought and fitted Goodrich AT and they looked great….. but after a while I’m falling out of love with them (they seem a bit less utilitarian to me now) so I’m looking at my steel wheels again.

has anyone had them banded , if that’s the correct term, anyway made them suitable for tubeless tyres? 

I have seen them advertised for rather a lot of money in the past but that may not be the case today so just weighing up options really?

TIA

You can get them banded and get beads welded on at the same time to make them tubeless:

image.png.772e4838c962bbdafdd679495dcf2664.png

If you add 2" to a standard 5.5 inch wheel, the offset will be about what you have now. I wouldn't touch the ANR1534, they are worth their weight in gold.

I used TD5 steel wheels, these have the well welded to the rim, which is better for tubeless, if the well is riveted to the rim, it can leak.

Better still is to start with TDCI (puma) rims, they have a bead pressed in from factory, band them and you have it tubeless straight away.

Or of course buy the wider ones.

It is all in my thread.

Daan

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

In the U.K. they don’t need to be TUV approved. And there is nothing to say the cheaper steel rims wouldn’t meet the standard anyway. But there is a cost of getting the approval. 

Whilst they don't need to, it was just an example. To me it shows they've put the effort in for approvals and that the quality is there. I don't think the TUV approval is an easy process. 

IF they were selling them for £3-400 a wheel then I could understand your feelings, but  IMO they're not much more expensive than the bargain basement steels available out there.

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

Whilst they don't need to, it was just an example. To me it shows they've put the effort in for approvals and that the quality is there. I don't think the TUV approval is an easy process. 

IF they were selling them for £3-400 a wheel then I could understand your feelings, but  IMO they're not much more expensive than the bargain basement steels available out there.

Not 100% convinced on the TUV stuff. Only really matters if you want to sell into certain markets. And while it is a lengthy process, it's only a steel rim. Has no moving parts. I suspect almost 'any' steel rim would be able to attain the rating if they paid the money for the process.

As for other after market rims being similar money?? No way. The rims being talked about are £180 EACH!!! That's a whooping £720 for 4 rims and no tyres. :( 

I bought some perfectly acceptable new rims recently, £48 each inc VAT. Don't know how long they will last, but they look and feel perfectly fine. Which is a huge difference from £180 for a single rim.

But even an OEM regular steel wheel is still way way cheaper, e.g.

1133458297_Screenshot2022-07-13at11_59_44am.png.9f0682eee939aff43fd62e5ebd943358.png

And if you don't mind aftermarket then they are only £72/rim

2119625019_Screenshot2022-07-13at12_00_54pm.png.611d51e5938bcd4110ca632578846aa6.png

I know there is more steel in a 16 x 8 vs a 16 x 5.5 but I'm unsure where the extra £108 is going apart from profit?

Nice rims, my Uncle has some with some Km3's in 255/85R16 fitted. But a very expensive option when all said and done.