Anyone used these weld-together squares for fabrication?

Seen these around and thinking one could be quite useful - the American folks seem to all have big cast ones but I imagine postage would be a killer. However, the "flat-pak and weld it yourself" approach leaves me wondering if it risks ending up not actually square unless you're very careful :ph34r:

Anyone got one or used one?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143591511889

square.jpg.57a64c8acf7c1898e9b890d07d754b7e.jpg

I have a couple of these type:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144138838293?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D38f8b925a6fc43fc940f4eee71dd2e29%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D143591511889%26itm%3D144138838293%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Mine are folded thick steel and galvanised. I haven't used them and will need to check them for squareness when I do. I think they would be very handy when doing fabricating.

I know the cast ones you mean, probably sold by Fireball tools!

Steve

I did some work in a shop in Australia that had small and large versions like that and other shapes as well...... I got the impression one of the staff had made them

They were a bit wider which worked well for what I was doing, they also had some home made G clamps to work with them.... the foot of the G had a step big enough to clear into the sqaure for clamping 

They did have a self keying setup similar to that but a bit more chunky and each one had a tig weld, the keys were about the spot where you clamped 

They were good enough I added the idea to the list of one day projects lol

I have 4 of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VH8040/ref=pe_27063361_485629781_TE_item

Most of the (red coloured) magnetic squares are worthless.  These have proper strong magnets.

More similar to what you've posted, I have several of these:

image.png.2b985588c1d6560f1542dbcc325e9da3.png

Known as Flanged Squares.

https://www.toolsense.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=flanged+square#p=2&q=flanged+square

They are surprisingly hard to find at a decent price!

I hacven't got the squares, but I've got a 1x1m bench with two 1x0.5m wings. Love it, makes keeping stuff flat and square a breeze. Only problem is one wing is offset by about 0.75mm which isn't ideal, work's been mental so haven't had time to sort it with them. and to be fair, I've not tried moving the wings about. 

If you've got plenty of clamps to hold it square, it will be easy to keep square. Never going to be the same as a  ground engineers square, but more than good enough for fab work. 

Oh and I've got 4 of the EZ squares too.... They're nice and square, but either a touch over or under bent (can't remember which) but its naff all and hasn't affected anything.

7 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

I have a couple of these type:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144138838293?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3D38f8b925a6fc43fc940f4eee71dd2e29%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D143591511889%26itm%3D144138838293%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Mine are folded thick steel and galvanised. I haven't used them and will need to check them for squareness when I do. I think they would be very handy when doing fabricating.

I know the cast ones you mean, probably sold by Fireball tools!

Steve

22 minutes ago, B reg 90 said:

The fireball ones are the business. I have one small one. Well designed and well made. TBH overkill for the odd job (but we all like tools!!!). But if you regularly fab then you need them. 

I don't regularly fab, but on occasions someone gets the brilliant idea that "we" could make some item of furniture :rolleyes: it's a faff keeping stuff properly square and neat, so a Fireball one could almost justify itself... he says, talking himself into shiiiiny new tools... :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I don't regularly fab, but on occasions someone gets the brilliant idea that "we" could make some item of furniture :rolleyes: it's a faff keeping stuff properly square and neat, so a Fireball one could almost justify itself... he says, talking himself into shiiiiny new tools... :lol:

One advantage of the fireball ones ( I think it applies to all of theirs!) is they're good for using without a bench as they've got removable tabs for the joint to rest against to keep it flat as well as square.

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

One advantage of the fireball ones ( I think it applies to all of theirs!) is they're good for using without a bench as they've got removable tabs for the joint to rest against to keep it flat as well as square.

Yes, it's very well designed, like all his stuff, so I don't think you'll be disappointed.......just on the price and shipping! :blink:

Steve

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Time for some Man Maths (tm) :D

Clive aka pressbrake1 over on mig-welding.co.uk does some proper British designed, British cast and British machined welding squares. I think they're cheaper than the Fireball ones too and nice to support a small British bloke.

They'll be stupidly square as well given Clive does it all.

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

Clive aka pressbrake1 over on mig-welding.co.uk does some proper British designed, British cast and British machined welding squares. I think they're cheaper than the Fireball ones too and nice to support a small British bloke.

They'll be stupidly square as well given Clive does it all.

Has he got a website?

Fireball - if you buy from the euro web site orders under a £100 seem to sneak though with out VAT and import tax being added. Well that was my experience last year - placed 3 orders. Don't blame me if that doesn't work any more!

On 8/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, Stellaghost said:

I don't have any.......

So I might have to disagree with that ...........lol

Regards Stephen

Stephen,

I will rephrase - perfectly possible to do with out one. But a damn site easier and quicker with one. So depends on you concerns about efficiency WRT to your personal assessment of your time cost. There is also the attraction of tools. Apparently if you die with the most tools there is some kind of prize?? Also if you have spent the cash it stops the wife wasting it on a new car she doesn't need as the old one still moves.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Haha 1