Rear Salisbury filler plug

L19MUD

Filled the rear diff up on my 110 rebuild this morning and started winding in the filler plug by hand (not even a ratchet) expecting it to nip up. What actually happened was it fell right through the hole which means I now need to pull the cover off yet again.

How should they tighten up? Is that thread supposed to be tapered? Wonder if the thread on the cover is just past its best?

The thread is cut into the pressed through material of the cover and the 110 Salsibury covers are thinner than Series units so the upset section stretches ...allowing the taper thread bung to go through

Welding a BSP fitting on is often the fix . There are replacement covers in thicker material at a price ... 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel mine will do this if i over do it. It shows no signs of stopping or getting tight. I wrap a good load of ptfe tape round it, tighten to flush with the cover and leave a corner pointing upwards so i can see if it rotates (it never does). 

I was standing there talking to someone not paying attention whilst I turned it in by hand it popped through with me holding the 1/2 inch adapter still in my hand. I tried to thread it back but it fell out of the adapter. Another 5 min job that is now an hour to put right!

Looks like a new cover s £60 and probably won't be much better, or a swanky ARB one that looks decent but is £150. I was thinking i could weld a big washer to the front of the plug to stop it falling through and would also allow it to nip up? A bit of PTFE would not hurt either

22 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I was standing there talking to someone not paying attention whilst I turned it in by hand it popped through with me holding the 1/2 inch adapter still in my hand. I tried to thread it back but it fell out of the adapter. Another 5 min job that is now an hour to put right!

Looks like a new cover s £60 and probably won't be much better, or a swanky ARB one that looks decent but is £150. I was thinking i could weld a big washer to the front of the plug to stop it falling through and would also allow it to nip up? A bit of PTFE would not hurt either

That sounds like a great idea to me. But there may be a good reason we're both about to learn as to why it isn't...

18 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I've got a brand new cover you can have - not in a blue bag

I experienced this problem of winding all the way in so I took the plug out and welded a steel washer onto it, fitted it with a leather washer, and screwed it back in tight, but not 4ft. scaffolding pipe tight!  No leaks since.

Mike

Edited by Troll Hunter
typo
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

To close this out @Nonimouse very kindly sent me a new cover FOC for which I donated £20 to the forum @Hybrid_From_Hell

I fitted the new cover with a new cork gasket and some extra sealant for luck. I then welded a washer to the filler plug and cut a rubber washer from a tractor inner tube. Hopefully that is it now sorted

Thanks all

• Like 3