Hydro winch install musings

The propshaft between a G wagen gear box and the remote T box (in a 460) has a sliding joint (makes it easier to fit) it's capable of taking a comfortable 600ft/lb. I think I have one in the yard somewhere, so I'll take a look at the weekend.

I don't think you can rely on a rubber belt to drive a winch directly; an Electric winch is ok, as you are using the battery's as an energy buffer so you don't just rely on the V-belt at the very moment you are winching. But whenever I am submerged in water, my PAS does not function, giving me a squealing noise when I try to turn. So relying on the V-belt to transfer a torque to turn a hydraulic winch seems a non starter to me. But it depends on the torque levels required obviously, and how deep do you need it to go and still work.

Daan

32 minutes ago, Daan said:

I don't think you can rely on a rubber belt to drive a winch directly

Nor do I, that's why it's not even been considered in this thread even if people do keep mentioning it :rolleyes:

The old Milemarker installs fairly well found the limits of stock polyvee belts and it was way below what I'd consider practical.

2 hours ago, Daan said:

I don't think you can rely on a rubber belt to drive a winch directly; an Electric winch is ok, as you are using the battery's as an energy buffer so you don't just rely on the V-belt at the very moment you are winching. But whenever I am submerged in water, my PAS does not function, giving me a squealing noise when I try to turn. So relying on the V-belt to transfer a torque to turn a hydraulic winch seems a non starter to me. But it depends on the torque levels required obviously, and how deep do you need it to go and still work.

Daan

I think it's being mentioned in relation to driving a hydraulic pump rather than the winch directly.

Mike

• Like 1

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

I think it's being mentioned in relation to driving a hydraulic pump rather than the winch directly.

Mike

Driving a hydraulic pump to drive the winch I also regard as driving the winch directly. Only with an electric winch you don't drive it directly.

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

What about a toothed belt?

I'm ruling out almost anything that mounts the pump to the engine block for reasons of space / bracketry / general faff, the mini-prop solution is 4 bolts into the crank pulley and done, then everything else lives on the chassis which is an easier & fixed location.

• Like 3

Mount a Compact tractor PTO shaft to the crank pulley, then you could use a hydraulic pump off a hedge cutter. Big Flow, good pressure, cheap second hand. Easy to repair...

You could also make it easy to remove and replace with a PTO air pump

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Mount a Compact tractor PTO shaft to the crank pulley, then you could use a hydraulic pump off a hedge cutter. Big Flow, good pressure, cheap second hand. Easy to repair...

Just leave the hedge cutter installed for those really tight lanes.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Where are you finding cheap hydraulic hedge cutters?

Evolution of my 110 project in the last 5 years:

- one alternator and one battery and a 8274 : not happy

- one alternator, a split charger and 2 batteries and a 8274: not happy

- two alternators and two batteries and a 8274: not happy

- two alternators, an odyssey main battery and a huge second battery and a Goodwinch: still not happy

- two alternators, an odyssey main battery and a huge second battery, a hydraulic pto pump and a milemarker and very happy now :)

- now dreaming of a rear hydraulic winch too ...

• Like 3