Who makes good LED bulbs these days?

FridgeFreezer

For headlights or for the tail and side lights, indicators and so on?  Phillips make headlight “bulbs” to fit existing lamps in many types, including H4, that are EU legal.  Given how much you take your 109 overseas, just being over the cut off age for UK compliance might not be enough for your peace of mind.  I think most other brands are still illegal in Europe.

As for bulbs for the other lamps, I don’t think any are road legal.  The Wipac lamp kit is, though, and only costs around £100.

18 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Pre-1986 vehicles with LED bulbs in incandescent lamps are legal.

Is that not just the headlights?  Handy if it applies to the smaller lamps too, though finding LEDs that aren’t far dimmer than bulbs isn’t easy.

I hope so.  As long as the LEDs give enough light in a wide pattern, there is no logical reason to be banned.  I did look at some Halfords-solde tail/brake led “bulbs” about a decade ago, before finding out they were illegal anyway.  I tried one on the car and compared it to the standard bulb on the other side and promptly threw them in the bin.  That is when I saw the very, very small print saying they were “not for road use” . 🤬

Surely it makes more sense to fit complete units rather than bulbs. Especially as it removes the legal issues and gives good light spread.

I had the boltonbits version of these on 45:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363357334516?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=7-1wamxnsqy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=rj9sNdGlTqa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

They are standard size and fitment.

Mike

Another vote for classiccarleds. I've been running their bulbs as sidelights in the Esprit and the H4 replacements in the Range Rover. So far they're lasting a lot better then some other brands I tried a couple of years ago. And they have a very wide range of products, so something for everyone.

• Like 1

I bought some cheap ebay white stop and tail bulbs (for my side light/ daylight running), they were garbage and lasted 2 months or so.

I replaced them with expensive Halfrauds bulbs that were identical to the cheap ebay and lasted similarly.

I replaced them with bulbs from classiccarleds at the same price as Halfrauds which were in another league, much heavier and more robust. One expired but I think that was due to the holder. Its replacement along with a new holder has been fine. They get my vote.

Mo

• Like 2