breaker bar

miketomcat

Ok so I may of abused my ½" facom breaker bar yesterday (read put a scaffold tube on it to shift a wheel nut). Stupidly I have a ¾" 3' bar but my adapter is at work. I've had it for probably 10 years and it's stood up well. I'm happy enough to buy another but thought I ask what others use.

Mike

I have an old Kamasa which has put up with serious abuse, but I suspect the new ones aren't as good. @elbekko has a point, mind you Facom aren't as well represented in the UK, so that might not be very local and handy. On the other hand if you are buying one just get Halfords Advanced with the guarantee and then the same applies?

54 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Why buy another? It's Facom. Walk into a store that sells Facom and get a new one for free.

I wasn't aware of that. I've just looked it up and there's a facom dealer in my town, unfortunately they're only open when I'm at work but I'll give them a try.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Facom won't replace it under warranty unfortunately, mainly due to no proof of purchase (I've had it 5 years plus). Back to looking for a replacement I guess.

Mike

That's strange, maybe they've updated their policy? Pretty sure @Escapewalked in with a broken 1/4" ratchet  bought at a flea market, and they replaced it with a newer model. I've personally walked in with that exact breaker bar broken in that exact way, and got a new one no questions asked.

I'd be happy to try exchanging it here.

• Like 1

As @elbekko says, we never had problems getting Facom replaced under warranty. Can't remember ever being asked for a receipt. The flea market ratchet wasn't me though, but our mate Wouter.

A couple of years ago I asked about servicing one of their fast ratchets (with the turning handle) as it was getting a bit stiff. They took a good look and replaced it with a new model for free. "We no longer service those". I'm all for fixing stuff instead of replacing, but didn't complain. 🙂

• Like 2

On 3/21/2023 at 10:18 PM, miketomcat said:

I contacted facom direct via their website as I'm not able to get to a stockist at the moment. I do have a Halfords trade card so I'll try that when I get a chance.

Mike

If you go to Newbury bring it with you and I will try to get a new one here in Belgium

33 minutes ago, henk said:

If you go to Newbury bring it with you and I will try to get a new one here in Belgium

Thank you for the offer, but another of you countrymen is going to have a go in Belgium for me. Mean time I'll buy a Halfords job (and keep the receipt). Let's face it you can't have to many breaker bars. :ph34r:

Mike

After visiting two Halfords and finally persuading someone to serve me (their customer service needs some improvement) I bought the larger ½" power bar linked above. In fact the only reason I'd didn't walk out and go to machine mart is I have a trade card so at £17.59 it takes some beating.

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, miketomcat said:

I have got some Kennedy tools that a good quality. I bought a Halfords bar in the end as I needed one asap. Filip is going to try to get the facom one replaced under warranty.

Mike

Kennedy is one of those really annoying ones…. Got or had quite a bit of their stuff at work and in my old department. Some stuff is fantastic other stuff is utter rubbish.