My Landy scared the carp out of me last night...

1 hour ago, Junglie said:

Interesting - ever since I've had it it's been like driving in a 1950's movie... I seem to find myself moving the wheel about an eighth of a turn constantly, either to stay in a straight line or to take up slack before anything happens...

Is it not supposed to be like that?

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Nope, not really.... Sounds like steering box to me. 

It should track well and not need constant inputs other than in relation to the high speed driving you're doing :P 

That sort of movement for me was a bit of slack in the drop arm to steering box spline. 

• Thanks 1

My V8 suffered from the dreaded wobble (adrenaline really is brown and smelly), replaced both steering uj's, drop arm ball joint, track rot ends, well nearly everything. Was still wobbling, only got rid of it by replacing the lower shaft (RTC4783), could find nothing obviously wrong with the old one, but if one swapped it back in, the wobble came back.

Edited by JeffR
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tommobot said:

More stupid questions... 

I recently noticed, and felt a bit of play in the steering, which appeared to be the bottom UJ. New UJ ordered, and wheel wobble seemsed to reduce slightly perhaps.. maybe.

Anyway, I did about 200miles with the new  UJ, and some mild off roading aswell, looked at joint again and there seems to be minor play in the splines and the UJ itself. If I do the bolts up guarantunly tight it disappears, are the splines on the central shaft known for wearing down? PS. Photo not of my shaft' 😆

image.png

It might be your new joint to blame if it was a 'budget" part -the shaft splines don't tend to wear in my experience. Make sure you've got no movement in the splines though as that will accelerate wear with horrible results.. 

6 hours ago, Mossberg said:

Don't forget wheel balancing. You may have lost a weight or a wheel has become defective. Try swapping front wheels for back and take for a drive. Costs nowt but time in changing wheels.

That crossed my mind - it's another thing to check...

16 hours ago, JeffR said:

My V8 suffered from the dreaded wobble (adrenaline really is brown and smelly), replaced both steering uj's, drop arm ball joint, track rot ends, well nearly everything. Was still wobbling, only got rid of it by replacing the lower shaft (RTC4783), could find nothing obviously wrong with the old one, but if one swapped it back in, the wobble came back.

This is the sort of thing I'm hoping to avoid. Already replacing engine, gearbox, transfer box, seats, switchgear, radiator (fans at least), heater controls, door cards, window mechanisms and guides, door frames (partial), roof, tailgate, wheels (done)... Like I said, Trigger's broom. 

But it's going to be great when it's finished. Now it's just mostly great...

• 2 weeks later...

This is embarrassing, but I'm sharing it because while the easiest way to learn is by your mistakes, the cheapest way is by hearing about someone else's...

So.

Today I needed to collect about a ton of turf and topsoil All little roads, so no big speeds and anythingthing nasty shouldn't manifest itself and I can sort it when I have the engine and box out and everything is exposed...

Going around a roundabout it feels really dodgy. Difficult to describe, but almost like it wants to roll. And I'm only doing about 20 because it's tight. So I pull over into a convenient layby and have a look around. Nothing obvious, except...wait a sec. Those wheel nuts look... The passenger side wheelnuts have about 10mm free play. All of them. Obviously I can't tighten them properly because the truck is resting on the studs so I jack it up...and the whole thing falls off, complete with the spacer behind. 

A bit of swearing and I separate the two, check the threads aren't borked (they aren't, put it all back together and lo and behold - there's no death weave.

Get it home, jack it properly, marvel at the fact that it's already loose again, use Threadlock and a massive torque bar, do the spacer up stupid tight and refit the wheel. Repeat on the other three - backs are both fine, offside front is not as loose but is loose.

The mora; of this story.

1 - When you're reading about spacers and several people mention threadlock...don't ignore it.

2 - ALWAYS have a jack and a suitable wheel brace with you, just in case.

3 - Don't forget the locking wheelnut key!

I am very, very lucky - that could've been genuinely nasty. Like this: 

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2013.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steve b said:

Wheelspacers... Not much else to say really apart from no harm done thank goodness

Steve  

I know. But the Boost alloys wouldn't go on without them and the tubed tyres on the steel wheels were all perished and stuopidly expensive to replace and...

9 hours ago, Junglie said:

But the Boost alloys wouldn't go on without them

How much spacer do you need to make them fit?

We did some very thin ones (<10mm) out of steel plate which worked very well, just slip over the existing studs so no 2nd set of wheel studs/nuts etc.

I've never liked the big alloy spacers.

Glad you're OK and hopefully found the problem too!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

How much spacer do you need to make them fit?

We did some very thin ones (<10mm) out of steel plate which worked very well, just slip over the existing studs so no 2nd set of wheel studs/nuts etc.

I've never liked the big alloy spacers.

Glad you're OK and hopefully found the problem too!

They're 20mm and apart from anything else they make the (currently unassisted) steering a good Bullworker substitute.

I'm guessing that the folk in Solihull don't fit spacers on Landys with Boost alloys, so there must be something I can do to make them fit properly?

Just now, Junglie said:

They're 20mm and apart from anything else they make the (currently unassisted) steering a good Bullworker substitute.

I'm guessing that the folk in Solihull don't fit spacers on Landys with Boost alloys, so there must be something I can do to make them fit properly?

They changed the design of the hubs on later ones. Closer bearing spacing means the hub (and therefore the drive flange bolts) don't stick out so far. 

I'd pop a wheel on without the spacer and see how far it sits off the face. I've got a pile of (I think) 3mm steel spacer shims I'd be happy to pass some on. 

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

They changed the design of the hubs on later ones. Closer bearing spacing means the hub (and therefore the drive flange bolts) don't stick out so far. 

I'd pop a wheel on without the spacer and see how far it sits off the face. I've got a pile of (I think) 3mm steel spacer shims I'd be happy to pass some on. 

Thanks - I'll do that over the weekend as it has definitely given me cause to worry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

There's some folks who would say that a tidy set of steels look a lot better anyway :ph34r:

And I wouldn't necessarily disagree with them - there's something just right about them. But the Boosts don't look bad.

I presume you fitted threadlock when you refitted the spacer so would you mind telling me which type (strength)?

Also are you sure your spacers are 20mm as I thought they needed to be 30mm to get suitable nuts to fit them.

It's lucky you found it when you did as loosing a wheel doesn't bear thinking about!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mossberg said:

I presume you fitted threadlock when you refitted the spacer so would you mind telling me which type (strength)?

Also are you sure your spacers are 20mm as I thought they needed to be 30mm to get suitable nuts to fit them.

It's lucky you found it when you did as loosing a wheel doesn't bear thinking about!

You presume...incorrectly. I made the same mistake - I had the threadlock with me (Loctite Blue) but appear not to have used it. 

And you're right, they're 30mm spacers.

4 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Are you sure they're boost alloys? I thought boost were the only ones that fit all versions of of the hub and flange without spacers.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Definitely Boost - they're here:

IMG_1498.jpg.561938a2804a5627f3fdb2927e8

You're going to have to help me out on this - if it's a pop culture reference it's gone over my head, and if it's specifically Landy I don't know enough. I mean, I don't know enough anyway, but...oh you know what I mean.

Edited by western
ref to a past member hidden & removed.