My Landy scared the carp out of me last night...

I'm not entirely sure it's a relevant post at all. Something for @western or @Retroanaconda  to weigh in on. 

It's the surname of a chap who lost multiple children to a downright dangerous vehicle and I believe did time for it. 

Both personally and with my moderator hat on, think it's an unfair comparison.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I'm not entirely sure it's a relevant post at all. Something for @western or @Retroanaconda  to weigh in on. 

It's the surname of a chap who lost multiple children to a downright dangerous vehicle and I believe did time for it. 

Both personally and with my moderator hat on, think it's an unfair comparison.

I have hidden the orignal ref & removed the quoted text from Junglies reply. we do not needto dig up thepast, that particular incident was well coveredby the press at the time. we do not need to drag it back up here.

3 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Are you sure they're actually sat down on the wheel face correctly? Which type of drive flange bolts have you got?

Coat the face of the hub with a thin coat of copper slip and bolt the wheel up, then remove and check the wheel is fully covered and you can see the full outline of the wheel on the hub

the wheel looks damaged where I've marked in yellow, looks to not be sat fully down & the drive member bolts have struck the inside faces.

there are 2 styles which look similar 

Boost 90/110  & Deep dish which I believe is a Discovery fitment.

IMG_2013.thumb.jpg.20eebf1f56fd34eb627474aa33cd5f53.jpg

43 minutes ago, western said:

the wheel looks damaged where I've marked in yellow, looks to not be sat fully down & the drive member bolts have struck the inside faces.

I'm going to have all 4 wheels off over the weekend and do some in depth examination. Wondering if you may be right and the hub flange bolts are interfering with it sitting properly because it seems to be a little loose again already on the driver's side (and I've driven 5 miles tops)

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Are you sure they're actually sat down on the wheel face correctly? Which type of drive flange bolts have you got?

They are the standard hex head bolts. I am quite sure they are sitting flat on the face but I will look on the back face for witnesses marks. I certainly feel happy they are sitting flat as I wouldn't be happy if I thought they were being held off, even slightly. 

I have a set of wheel spacers that I have not fitted yet- they won't sit flush without filing a tiny amount off (and I mean a tiny amount as wouldn't entertain taking any real meat off them) and that isn't like that on my boosts.

39 minutes ago, steve b said:

Buy a set of cheap modulars the right width for the tyres and swap them. 

Peace of mind and safe use restored, allowing more time to move the project on?

Steve

When you say "modulars" what do you mean, please?

2 hours ago, western said:

Bear in mind that it all came terribly loose so stuff was flapping around with quite a lot of load on it, even if just for a few moments... I think that could be where the damage arose.

35 minutes ago, Mossberg said:

They are the standard hex head bolts. I am quite sure they are sitting flat on the face but I will look on the back face for witnesses marks. I certainly feel happy they are sitting flat as I wouldn't be happy if I thought they were being held off, even slightly. 

I have a set of wheel spacers that I have not fitted yet- they won't sit flush without filing a tiny amount off (and I mean a tiny amount as wouldn't entertain taking any real meat off them) and that isn't like that on my boosts.

There’s a mixture of ‘standard’ for the drive flange bolts. Some later stuff used flanged heads with a smaller hex. These have better clearance to the wheel

I seem to have missed this. I’m quite vocal about how much I hate spacers, diddnt like the idea when I fitted them and then this happened

0151E65A-E895-4DCE-896D-A92E4047793E.thumb.jpeg.45f2a810b36495d9b707b71f04ebf9af.jpegAE9F89A5-E280-4011-8FC1-505C0C42BF00.thumb.jpeg.efb4b37a9dee0f0d414fa39d764fae34.jpeg08AF9732-A704-4394-BCB1-F1FBB1CB1A7F.thumb.jpeg.a6911616a41269f2a9ca72cfba3131b8.jpegB8613DA9-053F-48BC-A309-1AE4346BBB46.thumb.jpeg.96c9f3b4459bfa3007e94ae34dec5b95.jpeg7DCF3163-D2F4-4B26-A45D-6FF1F24FA783.thumb.jpeg.4199d2164de648fba14c0095ff2c937a.jpeg

the nuts holding them to the hub had come loose resulting in the wheel(and spacer flying off while going around a corner. Luckily for me, it was a quiet road and I had a run off of sorts and most important, luckily for others the wheel, a not light 33-12.50R16 BFG MT, ended up in a field. I ordered some steel wheels with a larger offset to suit my needs as soon as I parked the truck up.

Spacers have their place, I just don’t think that place is on a heavy landrover.

I know many people who have been ok with spacers for years but at the time this truck was well maintained and checked regularly.

Food for thought

I think @landroversforever still has the offending spacer at his place

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dangerous doug said:

I seem to have missed this. I’m quite vocal about how much I hate spacers, diddnt like the idea when I fitted them and then this happened

0151E65A-E895-4DCE-896D-A92E4047793E.thumb.jpeg.45f2a810b36495d9b707b71f04ebf9af.jpegAE9F89A5-E280-4011-8FC1-505C0C42BF00.thumb.jpeg.efb4b37a9dee0f0d414fa39d764fae34.jpeg08AF9732-A704-4394-BCB1-F1FBB1CB1A7F.thumb.jpeg.a6911616a41269f2a9ca72cfba3131b8.jpegB8613DA9-053F-48BC-A309-1AE4346BBB46.thumb.jpeg.96c9f3b4459bfa3007e94ae34dec5b95.jpeg7DCF3163-D2F4-4B26-A45D-6FF1F24FA783.thumb.jpeg.4199d2164de648fba14c0095ff2c937a.jpeg

the nuts holding them to the hub had come loose resulting in the wheel(and spacer flying off while going around a corner. Luckily for me, it was a quiet road and I had a run off of sorts and most important, luckily for others the wheel, a not light 33-12.50R16 BFG MT, ended up in a field. I ordered some steel wheels with a larger offset to suit my needs as soon as I parked the truck up.

Spacers have their place, I just don’t think that place is on a heavy landrover.

I know many people who have been ok with spacers for years but at the time this truck was well maintained and checked regularly.

Food for thought

I think @landroversforever still has the offending spacer at his place

Looks like we were both bloody lucky not to kill anyone...

3 hours ago, steve b said:

After market steel wheels , these on eblag now

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.74d8ed23c35a05be45889765c7d87c7f.jpg

£90...

Steve

Thanks Steve. My workshop is currently full of wheels that don't fit (90/RRC/Disco alloys), wheels that fit but have borked tyres (steels) and gearboxes that don't fit. But I think I may need to make space for these - you reckon they'll take the tubless tyres on the Boosts?

18 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I reckon some ET0 Wolfs will sort you out, Doug....

And some ET0 One Ton replicas will sort you out, Junglie.

You wouldn't happen to be selling a set, would you? Because if so...

(And yes I know there are loads on EBay, but I'd rather by from folk on here)

10 minutes ago, Junglie said:

You wouldn't happen to be selling a set, would you? Because if so...

(And yes I know there are loads on EBay, but I'd rather by from folk on here)

No afraid not, I have a set of Boosts I need to get rid of but I'd refuse to sell them to anyone with early axles at this point....(obviously you're not looking for those).

I just think the One Tons will suit the look/age of yours the best and I like spending other peoples' money.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, steve b said:

I'm pretty sure all Modular style rims are tubeless. How big are the tyres you have?

Steve 

They're 235/85 R16s

And yes, I believe you're right on the tubeless part, having done some digging as well...

3 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

No afraid not, I have a set of Boosts I need to get rid of but I'd refuse to sell them to anyone with early axles at this point....(obviously you're not looking for those).

I just think the One Tons will suit the look/age of yours the best and I like spending other peoples' money.

This is rapidly turning into the ,most expensive cheap Landy ever. But I also think you're right.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I reckon some ET0 Wolfs will sort you out, Doug....

And some ET0 One Ton replicas will sort you out, Junglie.

Is that a joke regarding my other thread?😂 

this happened about 4 years ago and I bought some 16x10 -32 modulars…..and 37” treps to go with them😂