Wires that won’t solder.

I’m sorting out my trailer wiring and have found the wiring won’t take any solder.

I’ve cut far enough back that I’m away from any oxidation, but stripped back it has a black colour on the wire on its whole length. A skotch pad cleans it to shiny(ish) copper .. but it still won’t solder. It just runs off.

I’ve had this before on old British motorbike wiring - on those I’ve found just lots of heat gets there - presumably burning something off, or I’ve just replaced it all.

Any suggestions please?  

Plan B is going to use crimped connectors - not ideal as I need to reinstate a little resister that was in there. 

• Anderzander changed the title to Wires that won’t solder.
41 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I’ve cut far enough back that I’m away from any oxidation, but stripped back it has a black colour on the wire on its whole length

You're not away from oxidation then?

I have a little pot of flux paste as Steve says, which sometimes works, although TBH just crimping a connector on instead would usually be my choice in that situation - then cover it with glue-lined heat shrink.

Thanks all - great input as always. The wiring seems in good order in all other ways… I’ll start with some flux, if that doesn’t work I’ll try some crimps.

I made a mistake though - it’s not a resistor, it’s a diode. I should have paid more attention to which way it was fitted. 

Bear in mind that some wires are very very difficult to solder. We recently tried out a reel of CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) and that's unsolderable by any normal means, intended for crimping only.

What you have might be the same given trailer wiring is normally intended to be in screw terminals or crimped.

• Thanks 1

So - I’ve crimped the wire into half a crimp terminal and soldered the diode in.

the solder isn’t bright - and the wires outside of the crimp are a little open .. probably because my eyes aren’t what they were .. but I think it’ll do.

IMG_9674.thumb.jpeg.cfaddc10b65e474a6a89c61cf636c188.jpeg

IMG_9675.thumb.jpeg.f3b24e828966cbd51dd5334c60fb5532.jpeg

IMG_9676.thumb.jpeg.4367851143a56776ac99bd9f28d4c5aa.jpeg

IMG_9678.thumb.jpeg.460fd192f0c81571906f152e84e434e0.jpeg

• Like 1

There's an argument to feed all trailer lights especially indicators through diodes, to stop criminal ace wholes from backfeeding through the plug, which might or might not affect alarm arrangements. Or maybe have a switched plug.

• Thanks 1

I did wonder that myself - at first I thought it was in case the purple permanently live wire shorted and fed back ..  but that red/yellow wire is the fog light and its warning light, which is spliced back into the dash and the ECU. 

There are relays designed for CAN vehicles that are triggered by vehicle lights but switch an independent power source.  It occurred to me one might use something like that and cut off its power except when towing to prevent access to electrics.

This is how Land Rover's harness manufacturer (Leoni Wiring Systems) insert a resistor in the illumination live on a 300Tdi Defender clock harness (AMR1647)

AMR1647-Resistor.jpg

They use open-barrel splice crimps and clear heatshrink.

splice-terminals-1779.jpg