Winch Refresher Day

I mentioned this on a thread elsewhere.

I'm going to be running a 'winching day' at a site called Binegar Quarry, near Shepton Mallet, Somerset. I'm not charging for my time or expenses, but will be running the day under 4x4Days banner and their TPL insurance. 4x4Days will ill also cover the site cost , so will expect to be reimbursed. All in all I reckon on 50 quid a head if I can get 14 people. Technical stuff will be done by me and Angus Norrish. I'm hoping to have some shiny stuff for folk to try out.

It won't be a course as such, but I can supply and attendance certificate if required

Looking at the back end of March

Anyone interested?

Interested, eventually I'll have the winch fitted to the 101, so if I can toddle along without a winch equipped vehicle?

• Like 1

I can't get the numbers together to do a specific 'day', so instead, we are going to run 'side by side' with 4x4 days at their monthly events. Payment will be to 4x4 Days for the site and insurance fees. That way if only three people turn up, it can still work.

The March even will be the first. I will put up a list of dates for forward planning

• Like 1

Dave, I hadn't replied yet but I will run this by our committee as we may be able to get a few more to come along and I'm sure the club would cover expenses.

How many more would you need to make it a proper day?

Edit to add: we can probably car-pool too to save a few people fuel money, and can drag @miketomcat and probably @PhillyWoo along for the ride...

• Like 2

Right, I reckon we can easily muster 4-6 of our committee / marshal team including subbing Miketomcat as he's always out marshalling for us.

Only wrinkle is timing - we've got an event on the 24th of March and Newbury sortout on the 7th April, so those are out for most of us.

On 2/17/2024 at 4:51 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Right, I reckon we can easily muster 4-6 of our committee / marshal team including subbing Miketomcat as he's always out marshalling for us.

Only wrinkle is timing - we've got an event on the 24th of March and Newbury sortout on the 7th April, so those are out for most of us.

Timing isn't too critical. Although a rumour in the wind that the site is closing to motorsport/vehicular events is a little concerning. But options are available for other sites

4 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

Although a rumour in the wind that the site is closing to motorsport/vehicular events is a little concerning

Grrr, argh. :( 

Just as they'd sorted out the mess of smashed vehicles in the middle.

Dirt Nationals there last year was excellent.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

Grrr, argh. :( 

Just as they'd sorted out the mess of smashed vehicles in the middle.

Dirt Nationals there last year was excellent.

Dirt Nationals are published to be there in June of this year. I expect it's more an issue with exceeding the 28 day rule, but I'm not involved, although I'm meeting with a couple of land owners to look at other sites for various users. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...