Acid Dipping in Scotland

As title. Looking to have a crusty old Ford 302 block dipped and cleaned of all corrosion in preparation of a build.

Does anyone know of a company in Scotland that they could recommend? Maybe even a galvanizing company would do it as they tank parts before dipping in zinc?

As usual a google search churns out loads of companies in South England but none up here….

Cheers Mav! 
I’ve been lurking from time to time but the 110 is in the hands of my old man just now so I let him get on with that - he needs a hobby!!! :)

Im starting to build a 302 to go in the Capri. It will replace the 4.6 Rover to stop Henry Ford and Carrol Shelby from rolling in their graves at the fact that there’s a Buick motor in it……

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Someone has suggested to build a wooden box just big enough, line with plastic sheet and submerge in white vinegar for couple days.

Does this sound viable? Is the vinegar really strong enough to remove all that carp?

Vinegar or citric acid will do a great job, as you say it does take time. If you can warm the solution it makes a real difference, both can be bought cheap, which does make it worth a look in my book. 

The other one I heard of was molasses, no idea where you would get that in decent quantity though! 

• Like 1

I’ve used vinegar to clean the inside of classic bike petrol tanks .. it does work, to a point. It’s cheap (ish) and not dangerous, and does an ok job. Not sure if this is a plus or minus, but it does end up smelling like a chip shop.

I stopped using though and switched to stronger acids in the end though because I wanted it ‘bare metal clean’, and the vinegar wasn’t doing that in all places.

Is acid the thing to use though ? Is it for rust removal or just degreasing ?

If it’s degreasing and cleaning could you fill a barrel with thinners and soak it in that?  If it is acid you want perhaps look at powder coating places, the ones near me dip things before they spray them.

Yes it’s for rust removal more than anything. It’s nasty.

Sand blasting would be great for the outer block surfaces but obviously will do nothing for the water jacket/internal areas. However electrolysis could be an idea.

Funny you mention the galv place in Glasgow, I pinged them an email last night.

They mostly use hydrochloric or sulphuric acid but then they dip in molten zinc straight away, and the zinc will have a very good adhesion. Just like soldering in the old days with killed spirit. But I see a problem in your case, as you're not galvanising the block, it will flash rust immediately with the acid, and it's a bit of a nightmare to neutralise especially the passages in the water jacket. 

As long as i got the acid neutralised quickly enough it wouldn’t rust again too quickly. I’d get the external surfaces primed for painting and coat interior in WD40. Then use Graphogen during assembly.

Unfortunately I’m not aware of any builders near me.

41 minutes ago, need4speed said:

Hmmm. Good point that.

Tho if I were doing it myself could I not maybe have a separate bath for naturalising I could submerge it in immediately?

You can neutralise the acid with an alkali, caustic soda comes into my mind and it's a pretty strong one. But I suspect the passages will rust anyway if left untreated.

I have used phosphoric acid, it's good for rust removal and leaves a coat of iron phosphate which prevents further rusting. But it's not agressive as much as HCL, so it takes longer to work.

• Like 1

Depends on the severity of rust I think, and also the concentration of the acid. If not in a hurry all the better, you can always leave it more. When done don't rinse with water, blow with air and let it dry.

But you're going to need quite a bit of acid to dunk the engine block!

Or maybe something like a tank of evaporust? Especially if MI5 pop round to inquire why you're buying industrial quantities of acid. Edd China did a whole RR chassis in some. I think its reasonably innocuous stuff.