Cutting Foam For Tool Storage

need4speed

So I’m trying to get my tools organised. I recently purchased a nice Pelicase Tool Box. It has several drawers and has foam in each.

I contacted a company called Paulamar and sent them pics of how I’d like the tools organised etc. They wanted £277 to cnc cut 2 drawers!!! Don’t think so..

I then tried just cutting round the tools with a scalpel etc but it looked like ****.

Anyone know of a company that would be cheaper than above? Or any other ideas?

I assume it doesn't have the 'pick and pluck' foam that most peli cases have? Those are supplied partially cut in a ~10mm grid, so you can just draw round the items and tear out the foam as required.

It doesn't seem like it would be hard wearing enough for a toolbox, so not surprised if it isn't.

The company I used to deal with for that type of thing used multiple layers of foam bonded together, with a thin fabric covered layer on the top. I can imagine that being easier to make a decent job of by hand , because only the top layer has to be really neat.

Vacuum forming a top sheet maybe, or just 3d print the whole thing in sections, depending on tool size (stop sniggering at the back!)

I'd be certain of remembering one more tool, just after I'd finished, so knowing that  I'd just never start :lol:

The companies that do it use a CNC router with a razor-sharp bit that spins effing fast, hence why they can get it so neat.

I'm not entirely sure there's a DIY option other than buying the cheapest 6040-style CNC router you can find and going at it - likely to be similar cost to the quote you had but you do get a free router out of it :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276564708497

For example

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The companies that do it use a CNC router with a razor-sharp bit that spins effing fast, hence why they can get it so neat.

I'm not entirely sure there's a DIY option other than buying the cheapest 6040-style CNC router you can find and going at it - likely to be similar cost to the quote you had but you do get a free router out of it :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276564708497

For example

If only I knew where to even begin with programming that to cut the tool shapes. 

8 hours ago, Snagger said:

Would a hot wire like used in cutting expanded polystyrene just make a burnt mess?  Could be worth a try.

I thought this, but I'm not sure the foams are stable enough at high temperature and won't just turn into a crusty bubbly mess. 

I've spent some time today doing some foam cutting and it looks like the aforementioned 'utter gash'. The secret seems to be tape to mark out the shape and make it easier to follow the line, a sharp scalpel and immediate, extreme competence. 

I cannot stress enough how important that last factor is, because it's what I'm missing. 

It took me a bit longer than I'd like to admit to work out you can make the cutouts padded by cutting all the way through and then cutting the bit you remove to the depth required, then put them back. 

• Like 2

Flatbed document scanner and a desktop laser cutter? obviously choice of foam is key, but could be done in layers of 4-6mm and glued to make thicker sheets.

Flatbed scanner or camera to take a photo against black background as a B&W image then scale and cutout of foam