Tyres.....Is it worth trying

Les Brock

Having smashed open all my piggy banks and bought a new set of tyres begining with S and ending in X

and bearing in mind I have Mach 5's is it worth trying to balancing them....or as I'm thinking..not a hope in hell :lol:

Was there any outcome to Michelle's(sp?) answer in how long there likely to last...I only drive the truck to and from events and do'nt use it other than that am I likely to get 3/4 years out of them ?

Last year I covered the grand amount of 800 miles..

just interested...when I have to justify it to SWMBO..... :ph34r::unsure:

But most importantly I hope I'm going to notice a bit of difference to my Dirt Devils.....which will be now up for sale

yes it is worth it, if only for the fun of watching them try!! ;);)

They will last no problem with that amount of mileage on them. They fair better wear wise and handling on road if pumped up a bit.

Yes you will notice the difference, no problem with that :)

Cheers

Steve

If you want to get to/from events at anything like more than 50mph then get them balanced. As fridge says they do enough damage to the truck anyway, unbalanced they will just wreck it even faster.

Mine have more than a few pounds of lead on them (they come in 1/4pound sizes you know) but even if one was to get knocked of its still better than no balance at all.

And I'd beg to differ about over inflating them on the highway. I run mine at what I judge to be corret pressures and have now exceeded 15,000 miles on them. Fornts are looking well tired but backs are still good. Overinflated will just cut the centre out in no time and make them skittish.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

I found these here in the States, ceramic balancing beads. They seem the best option - others were powder, metal beads, and liquid. They are pretty cheap and the idea makes sense. 36" Super Swampers are even less likely than Simex ETs (with which I never had a problem but they were only 32s) to balance, but I will give it a shot.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

I found these here in the States, ceramic balancing beads. They seem the best option - others were powder, metal beads, and liquid. They are pretty cheap and the idea makes sense. 36" Super Swampers are even less likely than Simex ETs (with which I never had a problem but they were only 32s) to balance, but I will give it a shot.

Would be good if they worked. Keep us posted but like you say for what they cost it could be worth try anyway and its an easy diy.

Hmm, wear wise Simex aren't great. I've done a fair few miles on mine (6000-8000) and I'm doing some sums right now. I'm toying with the idea of selling the 10.5x16s while they've still got some meat on and getting 11.5x15s. In the end they are a soft tyre so you'll have a fairly high wear rate.

I'm not sure about balencing. I had them done initially (I got EEEE like Nige) but since then all the weights have fallen off and I really haven't noticed any differance in handling. They are interesting at speed (85-90) but I'll happily sit at 70 all day with mine (I did 250 miles in it the other day).

Les, the differance off road is awesome, you'll never look back

P.S. Did you go ahead with that thing you talked to me about the other day?

And I'd beg to differ about over inflating them on the highway.

Overinflated will just cut the centre out in no time and make them skittish.

Who said anything about over inflating them??? They will wear more and won't handle as well if they are run on-road at 20psi or less.

Cheers

Steve

Get a V8 ?

Trev is right tho....at erm <cough> "speed" <cough> there was the odd wobble from mine (unbalanced) but at that speed a firm grip of the wheel was already in action..............

Nige :ph34r:

never balanced mine, not worth it, no problem with speed either

No to the balancing then, Mach 5's are a pain to balance even with BFG Muds on, let alone Simex,

The speed Don't worry me, I'm getting to be an old git and plod along on the motorway at 60 Max in the Truck...not in the Disco/Van though ;)

Hopefully they will get used for the first time this weekend and I can justify the cost to my self, still trying...is it just me that thinks over £800 for a set of tyres is bluddy rediculus :o

Or as well as getting to be a grumpy old man. am turning to a tight git as well :blink:

Was there any outcome to Michelle's(sp?) answer in how long there likely to last...

Why does everyone refer to me as to a French mademoiselle?

:lol:

FWIW I had my 32" ETII balanced.

They did very well on the white 8 spokes I couldn't believe.

Strangely I had more issues balancing Yokos on Wolf rims...

:huh:

What size did you get in the end,Les?

Had mine done, the machine said "eeeee"

Whats that mean I said ?...over 999 grams came the answer !

Don't bother, bashes to rim, weights ripped off, and nicks in tyres mean balancing will last about 45 secs off road.....

Nige

You should be able to ring round to haggle for a price to fit and balance like I did. It'll work out cheaper to blaance them when tyres are fitted since wheels don't need to be removed and refitted. (except I took at 5 wheels/tyres inthe back of a volvo so no removal required).

The place I had mine done (wolfs + GT MT) one tyre/wheel was out so instead of glueing tons of lead, the lad took tyre off and turned it on the wheel. I had stick on weights fitted to the inside rather than the edge - I can't see many situation where an obstacle can get inside to rip the weight off. Haven't checked but reckon all are still there.

In short, if you are getting them fitted by a garage, then you might as well get them balanced - it won't hurt - other than more pain to the wallet.

:unsure:

If you are worried weights insidethe rim coming off, use self-tapping screws!! :D but weigh them first to take into account their weight!

Michele (spelt right this time)

I went for 35x10.5x16's, The reason for this well I allready had 16 inch Mach's with a 75mm offset, putting 11.5's would have stuck out way to far <_<

A lot of people seem to be going for 15's..RobHybrid, Will possibly..Why ? just interested

Place that does our van fleet are doing them, when the boss ain't there ;)

Who said anything about over inflating them??? They will wear more and won't handle as well if they are run on-road at 20psi or less.

Cheers

Steve

Sorry I just missread 'pumped up a bit' and was concerned other might read it as overinflated.

20psi, your truck must be heavier than mine :D

I'd just suggest people check the Simex load rating (3000lbs at 45psi and that's per corner) and don't rush round sticking 25psi in each corner thinking the tyres will last longer.

FWIW I'm running 18psi front and 15 psi rear now (rear is probably still a bit high but wear is far more even than it was and while 13 might be better it just sounded too low) for highway use. Off road you can run low pressures of course :ph34r:

Michele (spelt right this time)

I went for 35x10.5x16's, (...) putting 11.5's would have stuck out way to far <_<

Shortly chatted with Trevor the other day about my 32" fouling the wheelboxes already...

:huh:

...I wonder M5s don't save you from that anyway?

[hush...slightly hijacking now]

A lot of people seem to be going for 15's..RobHybrid, Will possibly..Why ? just interested

Well, there's a couple of reasons: firstly they look like they're a slightly larger diameter although I've yet to get out the tape measure and secondly I know someone who's just swapped over to them and the says you get a lot more sidewall flex off road.

Les,

Shame you didn't try the Silverstone tyres... they are better in my opinion... as I have used both now.

I was able to get up stuff that Adrian couldn't in his 35 simex... plus the best bit - they are cheaper.

hey ho.. I'll try to avoid the sharp bits when telling you where to drive.. :D on sunday.

Well, there's a couple of reasons: firstly they look like they're a slightly larger diameter although I've yet to get out the tape measure and secondly I know someone who's just swapped over to them and the says you get a lot more sidewall flex off road.

As in they look bigger, or you think they're bigger based on what you've seen? It's all about the bling, remember :)

Another benefit is that the rim's half an inch further from the floor, so less likely to hit stuff and protects the brake disc better. A wide range of "Suzuki" tyres become available, although on the road the extra sidewall won't help your handling.

As in they look bigger, or you think they're bigger based on what you've seen? It's all about the bling, remember :)

Another benefit is that the rim's half an inch further from the floor, so less likely to hit stuff and protects the brake disc better. A wide range of "Suzuki" tyres become available, although on the road the extra sidewall won't help your handling.

TC, I believe they are slightly bigger. As you say, rims are a lot easier too. I won't have to muck about reversing rims :D:D:D