wibbly wobbly speedo

• 2 months later...

Sorry for asking as I'm sure its already been answered but i've managed to confuse the hell out of myself with the abs light.

I have a 200tdi 110 with a level sender in the reservoir rather than the pdwa sender. So first question is do i need to remove the pdwa sender etc if its not doing anything?

Second, what wires do I need to put to the level sender? I have a wire from a relay in the cab - brake check which is powered, and I also have the wire to the warning lamps.

I have connected the brake warning light to the hand brake sensor (have the wrong hand brake at present but when earthed this works fine and comes on).

I would like to use the abs light to come on for the level sender, but at present when I crank the engine over the brake check relay wire is obviously not connected to light this up - is it safe to do this? i.e. its a positive feed, can I put this in? And similarly the level sender is going into the abs light as described by western but I feel that I might have got all confuzed - and to top it off I cant find westerns response or my thread asking the question on this. Can anyone provide me a pin to pin override for the abs warning light so that it comes on for the brake check relay and also for the low level sender in the reservoir?

Thanks in advance,

Also just to follow this up, I have just bought a new oil pressure warning sender (genuine) and I can't get it to work. Putting the wire on the engine lights up the board warning light, but the light doesn't come on pre crank. Any ideas on how I can test/resolve this issue?

My thought is that the earth to the engine for the sender is bad but I thought that it was taken from the thread of the sender it should get it from the engine without issue.

Engine earth is the starter motor and the temp sender works fine.

The only point would be that the engine has been painted but the thread is still 'raw'. Does the earth come from the outside of the engine - i.e. where the sender meets the engine - if so this could be my issue, but would like confirmation before I go attacking the engine paint with a stanley knife.

oil pressure sender earths through the engine, it should light with ignition on & extinguish once oil pressure is produced above the switch setting.

is your engine earthed to the chassis ? if not that might be why the oil press light isn't working.

might be worth taking the paint off at the switch location.

as to the brake fluid low level warning, I ran one new wire from the switch terminal to a easy earth point, the 2nd wire goes to my low fluid level light via the PDWA 4 way bullet connector, it lights up on cranking as a light test then goes out. my PDWA is still fitted & connected electrically.

my diagram below hth :i-m_so_happy:

post-20-0-22435500-1334690931_thumb.jpg

Sorry for being a pain,but I havent got the connector to go to the pdwa sensor - wasnt on the orginal loom of the project and now i have a custom job - incidentally not on my 90 either - what do i connect to what to fake the pdwa sensor being there to match your diagram. BTW thanks for the diagram western. much appreciated.

looking at my wiring diagram in workshop manual the brake check relay has 2 black earth wires, a white/red from ignition switch, a black/white to PDWA &/or low luid level

shows the black/white wire to low level switch then to warning light on dash.

• 4 months later...

Eventually got round to doing mine - gone fairly smoothly so far to my surprise. :o

Decided to the the instruments first, make sure that all works and then wire up the warning lights. mileage on the speedo comes up fine although transducer still to put in and test, fuel gauge looks right and temp seems o.k.

Not your normal question on this conversion, but how do you change the time on the clock? It's going fine and I assume it's the 2 little buttons on the surround but pressing mine has no effect. Maybe that's why the whole cluster was cheap. :glare:

Clock is YFB 100390

Malcolm

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Unfortunately the buttons have no effect on mine :( although the clock itself works OK.

I may try seeing if I can get inside it to see if it's something obvious - the buttons must surely just make contact behind to make the hands move.

Either that or I disconnect the power until the time on the clock matches the actual time.

Malcolm

Well it's working now!

I took it apart, which was fairly easy - Bezel off, glass out released the 2 latches on either side and the gubbins all drop out. The 2 buttons press down on 2 rubber pads which make contact with 2 small plates to move the hands forward/back. I took the hands off (they just pull off) and the face then comes off and you can see what you're doing. I cleaned up both the contacts and the bits they contact and hey presto I can change the time.

The mistake I made was trying to put it all together and then put it back into the case. After a couple of minutes, I realised that if you drop the mechanism in and latch it, followed by the buttons, face and finally the hands it's a piece of cake. Glass and bezel on and back in - job done.

Speedo works fine after I put the transducer in but the temp gauge doesn't :( It comes off the stop when the ignition is switched on and that's all so a bit more investigating to do.

Am I right in thinking that the fuel gauge is the same but just a different face? If so I'll swap the 2 and see if the temp gauge is u/s otherwise it's got to be wiring.

Getting there

Malcolm

Well the gauge works fine so must be something to do with the wiring. I checked and checked and checked again that I've got the wiring mod done correctly but still no joy with the temp gauge.

Next, going to try a wire direct from the sender to the gauge.

Shame as the rest of it went so well.

Malcolm

Just tried a wire direct from the sender to the gauge and get what looks like a correct reading.

According to the write up, this shouldn't work!

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just wire it in this way?