Replacing Panhard rod bushes

Les Henson

Oh bugger - there goes another one of my vices :angry:

med_gallery_2_315_539197.jpg

The first bush went in easy peasy and the second one 3/4 of the way and then a loud bang as the outside part of the vice flew off and belted me on the ankle. It was a Record N05 as well, so no cheapo rubbish, looks like I'll be out shopping for a new one on Monday :( . Anyone got any recommendations on indestructible vices?

Les.

:D Ahh there is a god - sooo glad to see somebody else breaking a vice on a seemingly little task - now on my third vice, each one getting progressively larger and hopefully harder to break!!!!! Famous last words i know!!

Les.

A few weeks ago I was in my fastener suppliers. There was a guy in working overalls getting some 3/4 screwed rod. Me beiny nosey I asked what it was for.

"Fitting spring eye bushes"

So they still use the same method as I do.

I must admit the vise is easier.

mike

When TroddenMasses swung on his old vice and it came into bits, we went to Machine Mart and bought the biggest vice they sell for £40. Bargain, although he's bent the handle now and the swivelly bit is sh!te - weld or bolt it static.

040311720.jpg

Be aware it's steel, not cast iron so you can store a lot of energy in it as it bends...

Oh bugger - there goes another one of my vices :angry:

med_gallery_2_315_539197.jpg

The first bush went in easy peasy and the second one 3/4 of the way and then a loud bang as the outside part of the vice flew off and belted me on the ankle. It was a Record N05 as well, so no cheapo rubbish, looks like I'll be out shopping for a new one on Monday :( . Anyone got any recommendations on indestructible vices?

Les.

I fear that even well known English makes such as Draper and Record are all now made in China...........................

Maybe the same outfit that put the 'lead' into Mattel? :angry:

I bought a record 36 of Eblag for £80. RRP is around £800!!!! :o

Apparently they are the only vices used on oil rigs as considered indestructible. Don't buy a steel one as, although strong, they really have very little holding power compared to a cast vice.

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?MAN=R...in&PID=8107

Now thats a good piece of kit, but any idea of price?

Damned clever these Germans, like the forged steel, especially for the magnetic jaw clamps

Record 36 is a good solid vice but the Heuer has some very novel accesories.

The largest ones go around 190 pounds on ebay.de (search: "brockhaus heuer")

I think they have a lifetime guarantee and although not cheap, in my opinion the best vice you can get

Henk