Sort of O/T - Boots

sheeppimp

The Stihl chainsaw boots i've been using for the past seven years as my winter offroad boots finally died, big splits and no longer even remotely waterproof so I'm looking for some new footwear.

The chainsaw boot was fantastic - waterproof, warm and comfortable but they are fairly large and heavy.

What do the panel reccomend? similar sort of price range, waterproof and warm (I hate having cold feet)

Ta in advance

Scarpa walking boots

buy the best you can afford

they are ideal and tough

I would want to wear my Scarpa Manta M4's for offroad, they are far to stiff as they are designed for crampon use, however i do use goretex lined walking boots- they are excellent :)

I would want to wear my Scarpa Manta M4's for offroad, they are far to stiff as they are designed for crampon use, however i do use goretex lined walking boots- they are excellent :)

as Tony said though WALKING boots, arent M4s a snow and ice boot? Besides in my experience Ice climbing boots are OK for driving in as long as they aren't plastic ones you just used to the steel shank sole, as you say though not an ideal choice!

as Tony said though WALKING boots, arent M4s a snow and ice boot? Besides in my experience Ice climbing boots are OK for driving in as long as they aren't plastic ones you just used to the steel shank sole, as you say though not an ideal choice!

M4's are C2 crampon compatible and as such have a semi stiffened sole. For me, not ideal for driving in. Scarpa's are a really good boot, but generally a modern synthetic/ leather mix with a waterproof membrane will outperform a leather boot in their longevity and ability to withstand water ingress for a prolonged amount of time. They also tend to be lighter.

Personally I'd recommend these although you can get them in full nubuck leather too here.These are my regular hill wear and live in my landy for call outs. They cope with everything except full on winter conditions (not regular occurances these days)

Alot of people also swear by Raichle or Salomon. I've never tried Raichle and personally Salomon boots are too narrow around the ball of the foot for me.

I've got a couple of pairs of Salomom trainers and they are supremely comfortable, in fact I'd say my old Exit's are the most comfortable trainers I have ever owned. I also have a pair od Salomom boots, I cant' recall the name, they area mid/light weight pair like the Revo's but they pre date them, these are a bit tight around the ball of my foot. I was told that Salomon make products in Italy and the States and they are slightly different fit, I don't know how much truth there is in this. Anyway these boots I find are good for offroading when I'm driving (I also find them good for scrambling and a bit of Via Ferretta last year too but I digress), however if I'm bitching I prefer a heavier boot like my Asolo's which are more akin to Scarpa SL's (which are a step down from the M4's).

M4's are C2 crampon compatible and as such have a semi stiffened sole. For me, not ideal for driving in. Scarpa's are a really good boot, but generally a modern synthetic/ leather mix with a waterproof membrane will outperform a leather boot in their longevity and ability to withstand water ingress for a prolonged amount of time. They also tend to be lighter.

Personally I'd recommend these although you can get them in full nubuck leather too here.These are my regular hill wear and live in my landy for call outs. They cope with everything except full on winter conditions (not regular occurances these days)

Alot of people also swear by Raichle or Salomon. I've never tried Raichle and personally Salomon boots are too narrow around the ball of the foot for me.

Indeed they are C2, and far to stiff for driving, for general use i have some Raichle boots - they are excellent, very comfortable and supoportive :)

if your size 13 these are great.... hunter screel i original pai £145 for mine, but have just bought 3 pairs for £90 from this ebay bloke.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HUNTER-SCREEL-HIGH-L...VQQcmdZViewItem

I use these , They are great boots , Light, supportive and waterproof for about 10 mins when submerged to shin level , and they stay on when your wading through the sticky stuff.

http://www.wellie-boots.com/ukmofcart/leat...creel-high.html

Unfortunatly they no longer make them , So I might try the guy on ebay as mine are a size 13. ;)

Oddly enough I was up at Severnside Safety yesterday.

The Stietz Stavanger is 85quid. It comes in 12 widths as well as all sizes. If you have odd feet they will send you a mould and make a set for you for the same price.

Those of that remember my old high leg Stietz with the zip off capability may be please to know that they are 87quid available on order only.

The Stavanger is now used by HM forces, MacLaren, Western Power and one or two others.

Best boots I have ever had and they are safety stylee so your tooties are safe

Irish setters, got a nice vibramski sole, lifetime warranty, goretex and 3M insulated - used em for 'keeping and they are as comfy as slippers for all day wear, can still stand in water for hours at a time and keep my socks dry and thats after 7 ish years of abuse - good for duck shooting in minus 20 winters too, me likey :)

My old Scarpa boot were too stiff for dashing about use, fine with crampons for Alpine stuff though.

I still swear by Brashers for grip in mucky conditions, I reckon you get wet feet whatever you wear offroading (even waders would fill up with sweat rather than river water). Brasher boots are generally fantastically light as well. I have just bought a new pair, I think its the 4th pair I have had in probably 15 years of wearing them...

Will :)

'ere you go Bish Setters website

theres a few places you can get them in the UK, if you do get a pair then get a tub of mink oil to go with them - it lasts ages (Im still on my first can) and it doesnt clog the goretex pores up like polish or dubben will, chuck em on first time and sit your feet in a basin of lukewarm water while you watch telly and they will fit like old slippers afterwards :)

theres loads of good boots out there - Ive just had good use out of these and they are still going strong

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming.

Are the Steitz Stavanger only available thru severnside safety? - not exactly local and due to wide feet I prefer to try on before buying

My only complaint with the chainsaw boots is sheer weight otherwise i'd have them again - good grip, warm, pretty much waterproof and tough. But you don't half know you're wearing them.

My only complaint with the chainsaw boots is sheer weight otherwise i'd have them again - good grip, warm, pretty much waterproof and tough. But you don't half know you're wearing them.

Ive just brought a pair of Jolly Chainsaw Boots, and a mate loves his Jolly Fire Boots. There Goretex lined, carbon fiber mid sole, so the light weight & flexible. I can wear them all day & dont know ive got them on.

Thanks everyone, keep the suggestions coming.

Are the Steitz Stavanger only available thru severnside safety? - not exactly local and due to wide feet I prefer to try on before buying

Yes

However, two things to note:

I have the widest feet on Gods Earth (like a Duck but without the webbing)- I ask for a 'Wide Fitting' and it's bl**dy perfect.

If you do mail order with SS they are happy to take stuff back and re-send - great service.

Are you at Sodders?