VIN number doesn't match V5

stobbie

Hi, I won an ebay auction: Land Rover 110 SW 200TDI on Ebay

I buy a lot of 110's in the UK and I import them to the Netherlands, because the Dutch DVLA is very strict about numbers I always ask the folowing questions before I bid on an item: Does the VIN number stamped into the chassis (not the ID-tag!) and the engine number match the numbers on the V5, and are they READABLE?

I also asked these questions to the seller of this item, he has checked it and everything was ok he said. When I arrived at his address I noticed that there was a lot of waxoil where the chassisnumber should be. I said:"you said you checked the number?" Then he said he only checked the ID-tag, because that was the only thing that was important. I insisted that he scraped the waxoyl off and he got a little angry. A chassisnumber came up, "there it is" he said and hoped I didn't check it. When I wanted to compare it to the number on the ID-tag he got a little more angry. The numbers didn't match, the number on the chassis leg was many years newer than the number on the tag, I couldn't check the V5 because he had left it at his work he said.

He said, he thought the car had it's chassis replaced at some time, but that would not be a problem. I did not want to buy the car anymore and he got very angry and abusive so I left. Here in Holland the chassis is the main part of identification, you can't just swap a chassis (a new one is no problem ofcourse) if you can't prove where the replacement came from. And I have asked him before I bid on it. The Dutch DVLA would have never given me a registration so I would have had no other option than to break it. So I think I did the right thing didn't I?

I've emailed the story about seller "pasturesfarm" to Ebay and emailed his and the cars details to the dodford police..

On any other car that would be very dodgy, and I agree you did the right thing in that case.

However, putting a newer chassis on a Land Rover is a very common thing, either a newly made one (which Nige is correct, will not have a number) or one from a vehicle that has been dismantled for other reasons but has a good chassis. This will have a number, and I'm pretty sure the DVLA over here aren't too fussed as long as they are notified. My vehicle has a different chassis number as I found a good chassis cheap so it saved me buying a new one.

One solution would be to grind the chassis number off and claim it had a direct replacement with no number, then there's no question about claiming a different identity from the different numbers at any point.

On any other car that would be very dodgy, and I agree you did the right thing in that case.

However, putting a newer chassis on a Land Rover is a very common thing, either a newly made one (which Nige is correct, will not have a number) or one from a vehicle that has been dismantled for other reasons but has a good chassis. This will have a number, and I'm pretty sure the DVLA over here aren't too fussed as long as they are notified. My vehicle has a different chassis number as I found a good chassis cheap so it saved me buying a new one.

One solution would be to grind the chassis number off and claim it had a direct replacement with no number, then there's no question about claiming a different identity from the different numbers at any point.

No John - DVLA will not be impressed at all at you trying to change a chassis number. The rules are very clear - new chassis is no problem, 2nd hand chassis will land you with a Q plate and requirement to SVA the vehicle!

Jon

No John - DVLA will not be impressed at all at you trying to change a chassis number. The rules are very clear - new chassis is no problem, 2nd hand chassis will land you with a Q plate and requirement to SVA the vehicle!

I thought it was direct replacement and they were happy? Ho hum, grind the number off and notify them it's a new one.

I'm still waiting for the DVLA/VOSA/Police/Thunderbirds to knock my door and black bag me for having rivets in the wrong place as people keep telling me they will :rolleyes:

I think it depends upon how you feel in that situation, there was obviously something dodgy if the guy didnt even have the V5 and the fact that the number had been hidden with waxoil. On the other hand it might have been something innocent. I know a few times when i have gone to buy a car off ebay of privatly you get that feeling if something is not right and if you get that best to just walk away.

Guest diesel_jim
(FridgeFreezer @ Oct 2 2007, 08:30 AM)

I thought it was direct replacement and they were happy? Ho hum, grind the number off and notify them it's a new one.

Not a good idea Fridge. Strong possibility that the vehicle would be siezed as sus. stolen if you're ever stopped....

Matt

Funnily enough... when i built my 90, which had a 6 month old Tdi chassis from a written off demonstrator, but i never had a receipt or any paperwork with it. when i got it SVA'd, i was chatting to the inspector, and he said to me, after we were discussing me trying to get an age related plate instead of a Q..

"Well, next time, you won't bother contacting us, will you...."

with an emphasis on "as you're not trying to create a tax exempt vehicle, so don't bother us"

"Well, next time, you won't bother contacting us, will you...."

with an emphasis on "as you're not trying to create a tax exempt vehicle, so don't bother us"

That's been the experience of at least three people I know - if you're not trying to pull a fast one, they really have better things to do than crawl over your truck looking for serial numbers on your lightbulbs.

That's been the experience of at least three people I know - if you're not trying to pull a fast one, they really have better things to do than crawl over your truck looking for serial numbers on your lightbulbs.

Yes, that was my experience, but my truck ID was correct with the V5, and they did check the chassis number, engine number etc. It was 'just a body swap' as far as DVLA man was concerned!

Guest diesel_jim

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Stobbie

The people to notify are Trading Standards Local Office Northampton Area.

I doubt that the police will do anything.

He's already sold it to someone else - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=130158748629

A lot less money 2nd time round.

John

Thanks, I will contact them! A member from one of the Dutch LR forums had allready seen the new auction and informed me. I've sent an email with a warning to the buyer.

He must have gotten scared that he sold the car for this little money now, the engine, box and axles were OK, even a defender engine instead of a disco one, and an extra brandnew bulkhead. This car must have been stolen, only the bulkhead is worth this money...

The rules are very clear - new chassis is no problem, 2nd hand chassis will land you with a Q plate and requirement to SVA the vehicle!

Jon

I have not read the rules,and am no sort of expert,but as I understand it -

new chassis - no problem

previously registered chassis of same type - lose vehicle identity - Q plate

previously registered chassis of different type or modified significantly - svo and Q plate

new chassis of different type or modified significantly - svo and age related plate.

My 90 had a chassis replacement using newer secondhand chassis from a 90 and I was given a Q plate,but they (dvla) said nothing about svo - they were happy once it was re-registered with its new identity and correct numbers.

A consequence of the Q plate is the registration certificte states - age of manufacture unknown - so any age related legislation does not apply come mot time : no emmisions test,just visual check etc.

You did the right thing and I would say his anger was a admission of guilt.

I am about to take a old S11 over to Holland but the chap I'm getting it ready for said it must have a chassis number but the S11 don't have chassis numbers but that is what he wanted

will he be alright with a 1970 S11 and getting it registered over in Holland

but the S11 don't have chassis numbers but that is what he wanted

will he be alright with a 1970 S11 and getting it registered over in Holland

A 1966 SII 88, Dutch registered, which I bought in Holland had a chassis number stamped in the driver side spring hanger on the front. Better check, otherwise he might not want to make that deal...

With SVA etc and people wanting to make more and more mods to vehicles Q plate log books will become the next black market commodity after tax exempt books. A Q plate log book that says somthing like "4x4 light utility made from parts", could apply to almost anything you fancied building, and plod would be unlikely to give a second look to a stange modified vehicle on a Q plate.

I'm with Yellow here, Series IIs do have chassis numbers, where he said. The outside face of the front spring hanger of RH front spring, where the hanger plate overlaps the chassis rail.

HTH

PS, I also think Stobbie was correct, in everything he did.

If anyone makes it easy for these people they are condoning the theft and disposal of their own car. With the personal investment we make in these things, that simply isn't a sensible decision.

Cheers.

With SVA etc and people wanting to make more and more mods to vehicles Q plate log books will become the next black market commodity after tax exempt books. A Q plate log book that says somthing like "4x4 light utility made from parts", could apply to almost anything you fancied building, and plod would be unlikely to give a second look to a stange modified vehicle on a Q plate.

but dont Q plates have problems with insurance?