Buying a hybrid

badgerbaiter

I think this is a classic example of what this thread is about...............................

SVA is not mentioned, so I will assume its in the negative ........... :rolleyes:

http://www.devon4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3833

Mods: feel free to delete this post if you feel the link to another forum is inappropriate .............

:)

Ian

Copied from D4x4

If you have chopped the chassis, you will need to speak to DVLA, as you may need to get it SVA'd.

A Land Ranger vehicle (http://www.thelandranger.co.uk) was seized and crushed (plus £6000 fine!). The modification to the chassis (shortened behind rear suspension) was classed as requiring a SVA test. As it had not been tested, it was classed as unroadworthy and uninsured.

:o

Not sure how true it is :(

Copied from D4x4

If you have chopped the chassis, you will need to speak to DVLA, as you may need to get it SVA'd.

A Land Ranger vehicle (http://www.thelandranger.co.uk) was seized and crushed (plus £6000 fine!). The modification to the chassis (shortened behind rear suspension) was classed as requiring a SVA test. As it had not been tested, it was classed as unroadworthy and uninsured.

Best to of happened to it being crushed. Bloody horrible things.

Sorry OT

Copied from D4x4

Yes Les, it is apparently true................ i think there is a little more to it than meets the eye ;) ..................... it was also reported (just a small piece) in this months LRO...................... very rare for me to get that mag, but I was bored on the train..........

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Yes Les, it is apparently true................ i think there is a little more to it than meets the eye ;) ..................... it was also reported (just a small piece) in this months LRO...................... very rare for me to get that mag, but I was bored on the train..........

Ian

Any more information about this story? Such a measure would sound right to some drunk driving a car without insurance, no driving license and MOT. Not for a perfectly good car that has a few unimportant mods.

If your insurer is aware of the mods, how can it be classified as uninsured. Mot secures roadworthy so in my eyes that story is not complete.

Daan

Ian

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/index.cfm?articleid=17559

Paul

The vehicle's safety defects included: a fuel leak, fouling of the tyres on the bodywork and suspension arms, a kinked exhaust that was resting on the rear axle, the battery secured by elasticated cord, an incorrect seatbelt mounting and gaps between the windscreen and dashboard allowing any fumes into the drivers cab.

would of thought they'd of fixed these before handing the mota back to the owner.

Just shows how much is not reported in the magizines then, as i originally saw that in the LRO as well, but really does open your eyes.

JUst to get this right and make sure i am not falling foul of anything, at what point or after having what done does a land rover need to have an SVA.

Si

I think they may well have come down hard on that particular vehicle as it was made by a company- who really should know better... :angry:

The long and short is that if you are up to modifying your vehicle then you are up to finding out whether or not the modification will require an SVA or not.

Pleading ignorance in court if you crash the modified vehicle, that you did not SVA properly, and kill somebody will not be a fantastic defence to a potential charge of causing death by dangerous driving...

As I understand it driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition would amount to dangerous driving- and if the vehicle has not been tested and confirmed as being safe, and in compliance with construction and use regs, then what is there to stop anyone assuming that as it was not tested then it is not safe? I am sure a smart @rsed Solicitor could help you in that department but why put your self in that position in the first place?

The mods that require an SVA require time and effort to achieve- far more time and effort than it then takes to get the thing SVA'd when you are done.

Just my 2p... :D

Shrek

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had what I consider to be a rock solid confirmation of the requirements for SVA. I have just spoken to Mark Vickers ,who is the chief SVA technical officer for VOSA. He has confirmed that as soon as you cut into the chassis of your donor it is 'no longer' the original vehicle. It then becomes an entirely new vehicle that WILL require SVA'ing as an amature built vehicle. You need build photographs to prove that you built the vehicle yourself, details of the donor etc.

As it becomes a new vehicle you will get a new identity, new log book and if you can prove the age of the parts (ie the donor) then you will get an age related plate, other wise you'll get a Q.

Therefore, all LandRangers, Dakars, Hybrids, Bob Tail Rangies and any other vehicles where you have to remove part of the original chassis as part of the build, WILL have to have an SVA.

Obviously if you are doing a repair and replacing something like for like then thats fine, it keeps its identity.

Sorry for the bad news but I thought I would pass it on.

Andy

A can of worms indeed.

Best bet is to use a new Designa coil sprung chassis - the DVLA still get confused but seem to class these as a new 88" chassis even though they have coil mounts built in. When I had a conversation with them a year or two back they finally decided that as Designa sold them as a replacement 88" chassis they were ok.

As far as I'm aware mine was built and recorded prior to the 1999 cut over so would be ok anyhow but its not easy to get the same answer from anyone twice.

I've just had what I consider to be a rock solid confirmation of the requirements for SVA. I have just spoken to Mark Vickers ,who is the chief SVA technical officer for VOSA. He has confirmed that as soon as you cut into the chassis of your donor it is 'no longer' the original vehicle. It then becomes an entirely new vehicle that WILL require SVA'ing as an amature built vehicle. You need build photographs to prove that you built the vehicle yourself, details of the donor etc.

As it becomes a new vehicle you will get a new identity, new log book and if you can prove the age of the parts (ie the donor) then you will get an age related plate, other wise you'll get a Q.

Therefore, all LandRangers, Dakars, Hybrids, Bob Tail Rangies and any other vehicles where you have to remove part of the original chassis as part of the build, WILL have to have an SVA.

Obviously if you are doing a repair and replacing something like for like then thats fine, it keeps its identity.

Sorry for the bad news but I thought I would pass it on.

Andy

Seems pretty clear cut (excuse the pun) though not so obvious that it is followed in practice.

So replacing the rear cross member on a ninety with a HD winch cross member like Devon 4x4 make (or many make themselves) means you need to SVA your 90 and get Q plates......?? ;) ;)

As I understand it (after speaking at length to a VOSA senior inspector) .........no...........because its a replacement part.........and would be looked upon as a chassis repair..................

However, if you change the length (or the width) of the chassis.................like chopping off the rear as most traybacks do................or chopping out the middle................ then, in the eyes of the law you need an SVA................

Ian

Since there is no problem changing bodywork on a chassis-type vehicle then this means that whilst welding in a winch cross-member at the rear is fine if you cut 2" of the tub and weld the same cross member on to reduce the rear overhang and suddenly its Q-plates and SVA. Reading the official wording it says ANY changes to the chassis trigger SVA. Changing from a nice soft deformable crossmember to a 6mm winch tray constitutes a chassis modification in my book just as much as shorting the rear overhang a couple of inches. There is no difference as I see it. Cut and shut. Now that's a chassis modification.

Yes to all the comments about mods, but as i discovered with my own hybrid, the DVLA in Swansea adviced myself that the decision on whether a vehicle requires an SVA is down to the local Agency Inspector at the local regional DVLA office.

He and they(DVLA) decide if the vehicle requires SVA, when it is presented to them for examination and form completion.

This is why my hybrid did not have SVA, the inspector deemed it not necessary, and ammended the V5 description to suit the vehicle presented before him.

The DVLA changed it from:

Original V5

Make: Land Rover

Model: Range Rover

Body : Estate

NEW V5

Make: Land Rover

Model:

Body: Pickup

As I understand it (after speaking at length to a VOSA senior inspector) .........no...........because its a replacement part.........and would be looked upon as a chassis repair..................

However, if you change the length (or the width) of the chassis.................like chopping off the rear as most traybacks do................or chopping out the middle................ then, in the eyes of the law you need an SVA................

Ian

From what I had been told it had to be a replacement part to the same specification as the original Ie

Bearmach replacement chassis section is fine as its more or less to the same specification and type approval

Rear winch cradle however is not ;)

Talking about mine, I was told any modification to the ladder chassis requires an SVA by the inspector from the DVLA, the Man I spoke to at VOSA and the guy that did the SVA inspection himself......but as we know its not always the case......where that pic of the can of worms :lol:

I concour with my learned friend - having written a couple of articles on hybrids and SVA, Lesmond is correct.

So this makes sooooo many vehicles illegal - from Bucky's Morrocco Bus to virtually every motor featured in the mags.

The huge grey area that is made up of a mix of manufacturers liability, builders liability, owners liability, insurers liability, lies to the DVLA, lies to the insurance company, coppers with too little knowledge, VOSA inspectors with too little knowledge etc etc makes it all rather fun.

So when John Doe is involved in an RTA in his V8 engined, caged, lockered, portalled, lifted tray back with shortened backside and rear winch mount that is still registered as a 2.5NA Van or a RRC with a VM - should he be surprised by the smell of the fan working overtime.

Get a Q plate - not only does it allow you to get away with loads of mods but it's actually the new black