Towing a 90 to events!

rite, needs some peoples suggestions on this! im going to be needing to get my 90 to challenge events very soon, most are a fair distance from home! so i have a few options, do i risk driving it there and back? and use my aa card if the worst comes to the worst!? or do i trailer it there? need some suggestions as to what trailers are best to use and what are capable vehicles of towing 2 ton plus trailer?

Thanks

Ian, loads of different factors to consider

How reliable is your 90 ?? do you feel you need the AA card ??

How competitive are you intending to be, ??

How much experience have you got ??

If you are going out to try to win, with little experience, things will break,

Unless its local, i always trail the 90, 2 reasons, half the fuel,, (V8 Hybrid at best 10mpg !!) and a hell of a lot more comfy !!

only needed the trailer twice,

Best trailer by far !! is a Brain James, with a Disco to tow it

no my 90 is relaible, never needed to aa card, my issue was breakages! the last challenge i did at buildwas, i knackered the steering bar and my mate came and picked it up as it was local! he will now be my co-driver so the paj is avaliable, but not sure how legal we was!

post-4868-1193511065_thumb.jpg

Provided his & your driving licences were issued prior to Jan 1997 you'll both be fine & the if Pajero is rated for towing 2.0tonnes or more there shouldn't be a problem.

thats the problem, post 97 licences! we have been towing the trailer around with smaller cars on for ages and have never had a problem or attracted attention. pajero towing weight is 2500! mmmm, what to do for the best!?

Wasn't sure exactly when the cut off date was but if you tow with out the correct driving license endorsment (extra test to tow a trailer now) you will be in trouble if caught. The biggest risk is an accident when you may fine the insurance won't pay out and you could face court, remember it doesn't have to be your fault you face the same problem if some other idiot rams into you :( .

If you are happy enough with a trailer and can tow (I never have been able to reverse a trailer!) it may be best to do the test then all legal.

post 97 license is simply 750 KG, or total trailer and load weight less than unladen weight of towing vehicle, and total train weight less than 3500. I don't know weights for the pag, but i'm pretty sure the maths won't be in your favour.

I've got the same problem, looking at a trailer test before i can tow the RR anywhere.

licenses aside, i think alot depends on the answers to Tims questions

If your going for a fun day out, rather than to be ranked, then drive it, it will make you think twice (maybe) and limit the damage you are prepared to do, plus there great satisfaction from driving to a comp, doing it and driving home. it makes you feel good seeing all the euro boxes around with their limited potential. (agree they have their place though)

Driving it there and back also saves on a test, trailer and tow vehicle!

So far I have always driven my 90 to events, and enjoyed it. It feels great when you see most other guys arrive with trailers and try all weekend to keep up with you. Afterwards, just reinflate the tyres and back to home.

However, I have been thinking about a trailer, to limit tyre wear, allow more gear to be taken along, have a place to sleep and store everything in and off course the ability to get home in the case of breakages.

I have a Range Rover that will have no problem towing a heavy trailer and plan to get my license soon. Choice of trailer would be a CT177 from Ifor Williams, seen them in action a couple of times and they perform great!

I have done the trailer test and its not particulary difficult, the hardest part is the ridiculous reversing maneuver they ask you to do in restricted space. As long as you are half decent at reversing a trailer you'll be fine.

I didn't find out about the test until i had been towing a transporter with a landy on the back for a couple fo years, and to add to the problems i found out that i am technically supposed to have a minibus license to drive the 110 as they changed that part of the license too in 1997!

Colin

..... and to add to the problems i found out that i am technically supposed to have a minibus license to drive the 110 as they changed that part of the license too in 1997!

Colin

I thought the restriction on driving with more than 8 seats (or was it 10?) is only for driving in europe, or is it the weight of the vehicle you're refering to Colin?

John

I thought the restriction on driving with more than 8 seats (or was it 10?) is only for driving in europe, or is it the weight of the vehicle you're refering to Colin?

John

Not sure to be honest i cant remember where it was i found out, could well have been the DVLA when i called up about my trailer license or it could have been pub talk. What i understood was that after the 1997 change date you required a mini bus license to drive vehicles with 12 seats in, i may be wrong and would be more than happy if i was found wrong. I got rid of the lovely 110 V8 (mmmmmmmmm) but never say never when it comes to landys and i may be persuaded for another when i have finished my 90!!!

But then i have always fancied a 130, i drove one once and got to say i have developed a desire for one some day!

Colin

Not sure to be honest i cant remember where it was i found out, could well have been the DVLA when i called up about my trailer license or it could have been pub talk. What i understood was that after the 1997 change date you required a mini bus license to drive vehicles with 12 seats in, i may be wrong and would be more than happy if i was found wrong. I got rid of the lovely 110 V8 (mmmmmmmmm) but never say never when it comes to landys and i may be persuaded for another when i have finished my 90!!!

But then i have always fancied a 130, i drove one once and got to say i have developed a desire for one some day!

Colin

Have a look here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Drive...nsing/index.htm

Cat D1 is for 9+ passenger seats Therefore anyone who has passed their test after Jan 1 1997 CANNOT legally drive a 110 CSW fitted with 12 seats unless they take the additional test. I am not sure if they could drive a 10 seater 10 CSW.

Note it is number of seats which is important NOT the number of passengers being carried

IF you do not have the correct licence class then your insurance will be invalid

Regards

Leeds

With regards to the trailer test does anyone know where the information on the testers are.

With regards to the AA card be very carefull i have been to a few play days where people have done that AA turn up and state as the motor has been off roading they couldnt do anything as not a general break down

Should be the DSA test centres that are suitable for LGVs. Most likely on the DSA's or what ever they are called now, website. Will be doing mine through work soon. Also, you now need to use a box / horsebox trailer so you can't see through the rear window.

i agree with other posts that say unless you're really serious about competing and are likely to have breakages then drive it there and back. i get a lot more satisfaction out of that way but only go every month or so, id say the more frequent you go the more likely you want a trailer. isn't half the fun is seeing if you can thoroughly use your vehicle ON and OFF road!! :rolleyes: