Bish's Idea for a product

simonr

Yesterday Charles messaged me with an interesting idea for a product.

While I was writing a reply telling him how difficult it would be to do - an easy solution popped in to my head.

What Charles asked was - would it be possible to make an electric brake to stop/limit the run-on that you get on winches (particularly the 8274) when spooling in or out?

Spooling in, this is an obvious safety concern as it will pull in a further couple of feet after you have released the switch. Easily enough to mangle your fingers. (I can see the promo video already!)

I have designed a very simple (no computers ;) ) circuit which will bring the motor to a stop very quickly. I've not actually built or tested it - but the principle is sound.

The question - and hence the dragon reference is - do you think there is a market for such a device? Getting PCB's made and the boards assembled requires a reasonable investment. I reckon they would probably retail for between £15 & £20 - do the Dragons reckon I should stick to the day job?

Si

Sounds worth a go to me - I fondly remember my old 8274s tendency to give an involuntary manicure :lol:

I assume you've got something that [snipped out to protect a cunning idea from Scrap Iron Spies] ;)

Edited by BogMonster

Depends on the demand and profit margin. There is a limited market so profit would have to be high, and once everyone has one the market is saturated. If manufacturers cotton on they could incorporate it in their design, so you will have to build in the cost of patents into the price, assuming the device is patentable in the first place. Also as it is marketed as a safety device you will probably have to get approvals and insurance cover.

Because of that I'm out.

A beter idea maybe to offer it to a manufacturer under licence, or sell it outright, but you risk having the idea rejected and then copied.

If you want to make some extra beer money, offer the design as "This is wht I did" rather than "This is what you should do" and just happen to keep in stock the components needed to build it.

I think Britpart already incorporate this dead stop when you release the switch so the technology is already there but they seem to be the only people using it as far as I know.

I think as an aftermarket idea for all the winches that are out there it's well worth doing.

I know I for one would like to be safe when using my winch & I'm sure there are other people who would.

In fact if you do go ahead please PM me as I may be interested in reselling the product or becoming a dealer.

Thanks,

Pete

Without wanting to give other manufacturers ideas, a burst of full -ve voltage is not the same as controlled regenerative braking. Then again. if the gearset is badly designed so it f***s the internals up under braking there's not much you can do about that.

Mind you, most winch manufacturers seem to have little or no grasp of electronics anyway :rolleyes:

it's been used in industry for many many years for braking both DC and AC motors

That is true, but in the case of winches, as other people have said, it can damage the gears and the motor mounting.

All mine does is a controlled EMF Brake (similar to regen braking, but without the regen). EMF Braking isn't simple on a series wound motor as there are no perm magnets to make it act as a generator to generate the EMF.

Si

That is true, but in the case of winches, as other people have said, it can damage the gears and the motor mounting.

All mine does is a controlled EMF Brake (similar to regen braking, but without the regen). EMF Braking isn't simple on a series wound motor as there are no perm magnets to make it act as a generator to generate the EMF.

Si

Shorting the motor is self-regulating, there's a highish intial current which reduces as the motor slows. Also there is no risk of the motor reversing as there might be if a more sophisticated circuit fails. I would have thought there would be enough residual magnetism for this method to work.

We played with this about 18months ago, but decided not to produce it as at the time it would have been cost prohibative, plus the twins do not suffer with the overrun troubles of the single motor winch.

Thus it was decided that people would not want more electrics.........?

It did work very well once it was sorted. Still got a motor kicking around here that was used for testing it..........Somewhere :lol:

If you can do it cheap enough, go for it :D

We would try them.

Jim

Shorting the motor is self-regulating, there's a highish intial current which reduces as the motor slows. Also there is no risk of the motor reversing as there might be if a more sophisticated circuit fails. I would have thought there would be enough residual magnetism for this method to work.

Not particularly clued up on sparking in general, however shorting does happen for this reason on most windscreenwipermotors to make sure they park at the right position.

Daan

I like this idea a lot!!

I suppose it will depend on how easy it is to fit as well as price.

I have seen loads of damaged winches, lines & fingers due to just this sort of accident.

Take your eye off the winch for just a moment and watch the loonies try and stop a winch spooling in by trying to hold with their hands, almost as much fun as trying to stop your pride & joy rolling down a hill by standing in front of it - seen that too!!

Now if you have a device for this as well.................................

I would support their use in competitions.

Andy-T.

I like this idea a lot!!

I suppose it will depend on how easy it is to fit as well as price.

Guess I'd better build a prototype!

The design just has five connections. F1 F2 A Batt+ and Batt- and is connected in parallel with the solenoid connections to same - so should be easy to wire up. Price is harder to guess - but even the more complicated version of the design only has five components.

I had always appreciated that it was going to over run and made an allowance for it - but this year had a close call with my fingers & hawse! I guess that's the point that when it happens it is an accident and no amount of prior appreciation of the risk can stop that one fluke set of circumstances!

Si