Restoring alloy engine components.

Les Henson

When rebuilding/restoring an engine, cleaning the individual components is a very necessary part of the work. Not only does it prevent dirt from getting inside the engine - it also makes it look 100% better.

Tools required -

Petrol

Cellulose thinners/brake cleaner

Heat resistant paint of your choice (I have used '5-wheel silver' in this thread)

Variety of wire brushes that fit in an electric drill - including a small pointed one to get in all the little recesses

'Tooth brush' type wire brushes.

The alloy will not only be muddy/oily, but will also have oxidised (alloy version of rust). The white scale comes off with a bit of patience, but usually leaves pitting in the alloy, which I have just painted over (filling it is a bit too much on the sad side :) )

Typical example of old alloy (timing cover on a 300TDi engine)

med_gallery_2_416_536203.jpg

After cleaning with petrol and hand hand held wire brushes it looks a lot better already

med_gallery_2_416_1282449.jpg

Then 30-minutes or so with various wire brushes in an electric drill to remove heavy dirt and oxidisation

med_gallery_2_416_978363.jpg

Rinse off with cellulose thinners or brake cleaner to remove any traces of grease etc, allow to dry, and then 3 or 4 light coats of paint.

med_gallery_2_416_494779.jpg

All components can be restored in this way and the difference this makes is remarkable.

med_gallery_2_416_970692.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_482699.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_813577.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_577096.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1154393.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_814042.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1525496.jpg

Yes I know the engine is upside down :rtfm:

med_gallery_2_416_959805.jpg

med_gallery_2_416_1412341.jpg

Couple of things- don't press too hard with a wire brush in an electric drill - it's 'picks up' the alloy and leaves a permanent mark and be very careful on gasket faces or where oil seals/O-rings will be fitted.

Les. :)

Les - Looking superb and you are right it makes a big difference. :)

On my current job, I'm stripping to component parts and ensuring every thread is good etc etc. Previously, I've assembled then painted but this time, I'm enjoying painting each part kinda like a giant airfix model.

Prior to petrol / solvent washing, it is worth spending time with a paint scraper to remove the worst of the carp so that the parts washer / solvent bath doesn't turn to soup too quickly.

Careful use of a stanley knife scraper is also useful for gasket faces and fine steel wool works wonders on rotating seal faces. I tend not to use the wire brush / drill on these areas because of the pick-up you mention which I guess is a form of galling.

Very nice Les, you have taken a lot of trouble over this!

We have some special 'alloy cleaner' in the workshop, similar to the caustic stuff they use on alloy wheels, but MUCH cheaper especially as we bought 20l of it. You mustn't leave it on too long, because it turns the alloy black if you don't watch it carefully. I presume it is caustic (alkaline) rather than acidic as the container doesn't say.

It does avoid the need to actually paint the alloy though.

I used a stanley blade to clean gasket faces etc and 1200-grit wet/dry for seal lands and similar surfaces.

I don't have a parts washer - I use a B&Q wheelbarrow to clean large parts in, and a turkey roasting dish or big old saucepan for smaller stuff. None of your hi-tech stuff round here :D

Jim - I've used old battery acid to clean alloy parts before, although this is very risky and is fraught with danger.

Les.

Les, here's a silly story:

Many moons ago I had a book on how to decoke your motor-bike engine. Pre-war (second, that is). I had a Villiers 2-stroke engine and decided to follow their advice to soak the head in stong caustic soda solution. Looked the next day and all the fins had gone! At least that mistake only cost me 2s 6d for another head at the scrap yard. :)

Nice job! A good first step to save some time is to give the local engine builder/recon place a ring, my local one is more than happy to run the bits through their industrial parts washer for me, a whole stripped rover v8 and bell housing cost a tenner and got it much better than i ever could. It will still need wire brushing etc as above though to get that level of bling B)

Mike

At Billing a few years ago there was a guy selling Alloy cleaner. He cleaned a dirty old pair of SU's in about 2 mins with the mystery solution. Anyway, it was phosphoric acid. I've used it myself a few times, but you've got to make sure not to overdo it or it'll dissolve the aluminium.

Les, that engine is too beautiful to start up again!

Yep,

And a waste being a deep fat fryer that will leak the devils fluid everywhere :P

But seriously spot on, cleaning things takes ages, but makes a HUGE diiference to the quality of the rebuild / repair,

Nice touch to see Les has even colour coded the block and sump to match the leaks :lol:

Oh my coat :huh:

Any chance of a small Cod n chips before I g.......... . Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Nige

Yep,

And a waste being a deep fat fryer that will leak the devils fluid everywhere :P

But seriously spot on, cleaning things takes ages, but makes a HUGE diiference to the quality of the rebuild / repair,

Nice touch to see Les has even colour coded the block and sump to match the leaks :lol:

Oh my coat :huh:

Any chance of a small Cod n chips before I g.......... . Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek

Nige

Your fighting a loosing battle in many ways nigel.

Daan