Can I sue a car thief?

alan kemp

My car was knicked a while back and was chased by Police and stuffed into a hedge. New door, wing and complete re-spray. My insurance has doubled as it was a new policy with introductory no claims bonus, it has also affected my other indurance policies and will affect any new policies I want to take out.

The toe rag has been put away for this and a few other things. Can I get any compensation from him or other sources to cover my increase in insurances and excess, all totalling well over £1000 to date.

My car was knicked a while back and was chased by Police and stuffed into a hedge. New door, wing and complete re-spray. My insurance has doubled as it was a new policy with introductory no claims bonus, it has also affected my other indurance policies and will affect any new policies I want to take out.

The toe rag has been put away for this and a few other things. Can I get any compensation from him or other sources to cover my increase in insurances and excess, all totalling well over £1000 to date.

I woudl have thought if you had legal protection you could have made a claim against him as an individual, might be worth checking with your insurance company - but that would probably result in 2 parts of zilch - (get ready for some big broad brush strokes here) as you typically find the scum who do this havent got a proverbial pot to p*** in - so whilst you may get an award - he will probably have little or no assets and cash - so you will spend more money to get nothing :angry:

The other option is to find out when he's released and call the boys in when he gets out :ph34r: - doesnt fix the monetary side of things, but does warm the cockles of ones heart on a cold wintery night :lol:

A good friend of mine lives in a very shady part of Portsmouth and had a Quad nicked

a very long story short

and a long time latter the police visited my mate to tell him that they couldn't follow the case any longer due to lack of evidence against the guy who was court red handed.

but if it was any consolation the chap who stole its XR2 pride and joy car had been rammed and pushed through his porch by a very large vehicle and that that would never be traced as there were no witnesses or paint etc. what a pity that such a toerag got a taste of his own medicine. The two police officers then commented on how nice the bumper was on his 110 smiled and left.

I'm not going to name this chap but those who know him will laugh

Dunno if you could sue, but I like the idea of sending the lads round to visit!

Perhaps we could have a forum get together, and all take turns in putting his head through a brick wall?

I think we all have had some experience of theft in our times, and something as emotive as stealing a car, especially a marque such as ours where, by their very nature, we tend to be even more passionate about vehicles than your regular car lover; I believe revenge is a wonderful punishment.

£1000 in excess insurance premiums = 6 months in traction eating food through a straw.

Sounds bloody fair to me.

I have been the victim, several times, both in England & South Africa, of thefts, and will gladly help you spread a toe-rags teeth over the pavement with you!!

Mart

In theory you can sue for expences, damage trauma etc.

In practice as has been said the person responsible is unlikley to have any (thats traceable) money so even if you win you get a worthless court order against them but nothing else.

The same holds true for burgglery etc.

After the Tony Martin case the burggler he hit but survived tried to sue him for damages, one (of several) reasons this was dropped was that Tony Martind legal people contacted some of the toe rags previous victims and arranged for them to start damages cases against him. So even if he had won anything it would have been held whilst the other cases ran and since he had a LOT of other convictions he was unlikely to see any of it.

Thanks for the advice. As said, I would probably get no compensation from him, just a 19 year old with nothing, no job and no chance of getting one.

It was't my landrover that was nicked, it was a BMW, stole the key in a burglery. My Disco was attacked the other week and they stole my sat nav after breaking the window, cost £64, (no it wasnt on show nor were any of the bits that go with it). After the BMW was fixed, some tw*t thoght it would be funny to kick the wing mirror off along with 10 other cars in the street, some on driveways. That will cost £280 if my mate does it, god knows what a main dealer would charge.

Why do they do it. I saw them legging it after I heard the commotion and looked out of my window at 3.00am. They were 2 lads about 18 or 19 going home from a local night club.

my uncle shot two gypsys in the back of the legs (with a 12 bore) whilst they tried to nick a caravan off his caravan site.

they didnt come back.

his brother is in prison for hitting the guy who cheated with his wife over the head with the blunt side of an axe.

my familys got issuess...

i wonder what im going to be like when im older.

Guest diesel_jim
his brother is in prison for hitting the guy who cheated with his wife over the head with the blunt side of an axe.

Should have hit the wife.... she's the one that did the cheating. :rolleyes:

my uncle shot two gypsys in the back of the legs (with a 12 bore) whilst they tried to nick a caravan off his caravan site.

they didnt come back.

is this therefore your father? or another uncle?

why do bloke always smack the other bloke when it's the wife who's done the cheating?

I think we need Simon to come up with a variation of these for unattended cars !!!

Extreme Alarms

Cool! Long ago, when I lived in London, I built my own car alarm (as you do) based on a Z8 Microcontroller (Remember them?).

It, in response to a number of stimuli had an escelating sequence of responses which included:

120dBA 'Sound Bombs', Smoke grenade and a number of ground maroons (bangers used in stage & TV). The idea being to make it less and less comfortable to stay in the truck.

I tried a test detonation of one of the maroons to see how loud it was (from a safe distance). It blew out one of the windows and set fire to the carpet!

The only problem was the alarm drew nearly 8 Amps (no such thing as low power computers in those days) - so your battery was generally flat before it had a chance to detonate. Probably just as well!

Si

Cool! Long ago, when I lived in London, I built my own car alarm (as you do) based on a Z8 Microcontroller (Remember them?).

It, in response to a number of stimuli had an escelating sequence of responses which included:

120dBA 'Sound Bombs', Smoke grenade and a number of ground maroons (bangers used in stage & TV). The idea being to make it less and less comfortable to stay in the truck.

I tried a test detonation of one of the maroons to see how loud it was (from a safe distance). It blew out one of the windows and set fire to the carpet!

The only problem was the alarm drew nearly 8 Amps (no such thing as low power computers in those days) - so your battery was generally flat before it had a chance to detonate. Probably just as well!

Si

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Si

Brilliant !! :lol:

Any chance of an updated version? X-Alarm? :)

Something I have had in a sort of semi-condensed vapour form for a while now is most of an alarm with an SMS interface using a fairly chunky PIC. The idea was you would get an SMS when the alarm was activated complete with GPS co-ordinates. You then have the option of sending one back to disable the car. This had other spin-off uses for things to do via SMS....arm/disarm, start engine, squirt washers, but a smoke bomb/grenade was something I never considered.

Never got around to getting it to a stage when it could be fitted though...mostly just rather buggy code!

I thought of a tape recorder and a gas bottle. When the car is stolen a recorded voice says "Gas is being released, you will die" and then a valve opens to release the gas of your choice into the car.

I'd favour CO2, so if they tried to torch it, the fire would be put out.