snatch block

4x rated sackles (4.75t)

tow rope

3x tree strops varying in length and width

waffle boards

gloves

winch sail

standard LR jack with a waffle jack stand and a few bits of wood

I never go off-roading without my full kit. You can guarantee that you will need what you leave behind.

Most important thing to take with you is your common sense!!!

I don't have a winch fitted..

Four bow shackles

Four D shackles. Marked with a crows foot for some reason :rolleyes:

Two metre strop.

Five metre strap

Two three lifting straps, I use those for a straight tow.

A couple of lengths of thin rope, these are for my sacrificial safety ropes.

Hi-Lift

Hi-Lift Defender jacking piece.

Hi-lift winch kit.

Hi-Lift Jack Mate

Two jack base spreader plates made from the tops of the battery box, which has 1/2 inch ply bolted to the underside.

At least two pairs of gardening gloves.

I could have used a much longer recovery strap in Namibia recovering the Defender that was leading us.

The five and two three lengths were nowhere near long enough.

The Hi-lift is mounted across the front bumper.

The reat are in the box/locker under the drivers seat

mike

Mirror,mirror

On the wall

Make them beg

Make them crawl.

pretty much the same as the others really;

I don't have a winch so no winch sail or tree strops...

my disco has a steering guard with built-in recovery points on the front, and a discoparts heavy steel bumper fitted with a NATO hitch on the rear.

At least 4 good sized rated/ tested shackles (don't touch the cheap un-tested ones)

5m webbing strop

8m webbing strop

2.5m endless lifting sling (use as a bridle between front recovery points)

KERR recovery rope (don't want to start a debate about this, if you don't understand how to use them properly, then don't buy one :P )

if we are going somewhere really muddy I usually put in an extra 12T tow rope i have.

alos carry the following;

ex-army spade

Hi-lift

hi-lift base

waffles

torches

basic tool kit

heavy riggers gloves

fire extinguisher x2

spare light bulbs/ fuses

good first aid kit

waterproof clothing

hi-viz vests

spare food/ water

mobile phone/ CB

Maps/ GPS

heavy duty jump leads

I do tend to leave the high-lift/ waffles out if we go out in a group of 4-5 cars as the defender guys all carry hi-lifts and I don't see the need for one per car.

I try to keep at least one towrope and/or one KERR, along with at least 2 shackles in all my cars, even when roadgoing. You never know when you'll have an opportunity to help someone out or get a call to go and recover a mate. ;)

A torch is also standard equipment. I tried at one point to keep a toolkit in the car at all times as well, but can't be bothered to buy a full spare set so end up taking it out regularly and off coruse often forget to put it back in...

When planning more serious offroading I also take waffleboards, tree-strops, snatchblock, extra shackles, army spade, toolkit, multimeter and some spares.

yea like at 12:30am when you're happily tucked up in your girlfriend's bed....ey Tonka?! :glare:

I'll get you back! :P;)

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt! :lol:

Actually, it was 23.45h, and my mate had got his RRC stuck trying to recover another RRC in badly rutted tracks.

My Def 90 had no problems recovering both, fortunately. ;)

If you don't have a winch fitted then having a small hand worked winch can be useful. Not a lot of weight to carry and often a little pull is enough to get you out of trouble. I always carried a HiLift jack but never used it in anger whereas the little hand winch earned its keep with only 250kg lift capacity on a single line.

If you don't have a winch fitted then having a small hand worked winch can be useful. Not a lot of weight to carry and often a little pull is enough to get you out of trouble. I always carried a HiLift jack but never used it in anger whereas the little hand winch earned its keep with only 250kg lift capacity on a single line.

I have one of those somewhere in my garage.

Cost me all of fifteen quid many years ago.

More than paid for itsself with the number of engines I've changed using it.

Must do a search and find it to put into my Defender.

mike

Mirror,mirror

On the wall

Let them beg

Let them crawl.

A chainsaw can be very usefull too,.. and maybe a tent and some beer if its getting very serious and you dont make it in one day :D

Some food and a supply of water are always a good idea, even when just stuck in traffic. ;)

Some food and a supply of water are always a good idea, even when just stuck in traffic. ;)

Has anyone ever tried the 'can of beans tied to the exhaust manifold' idea for heating food?

I did try it once and forgot all about it being there, when I remembered a few days later and had a look it wasn't there anymore.

Has anyone ever tried the 'can of beans tied to the exhaust manifold' idea for heating food?

I did try it once and forgot all about it being there, when I remembered a few days later and had a look it wasn't there anymore.

When we go laning for the day I often wrap pasties and sausage rolls in tinfoil and stuff around the turbo and rocker cover. Leave it for about an hour, unwrap, eat!! NICE, use in conjunction with your mandatory Kelly (volcano) kettle with a nice cuppa, yer days sorted proper like!

I don't take anything. I just go out with messrs Honiton Hobbit & Matt Neale and that's every eventuality covered, including nuclear war survival, alien invasion, finding of Lord Lucan and the odd recovery and or breakdown. ;)

Too true Dave! It has to be said that the size of my tool box (oo -err missus) is a function of whether Mr Neale is attending the event or not!! :lol:

An afternoons gentle greenlane trip will see the 'recovery box' loaded ......... which contains 450ft of plasma extension ropes, 3 snatch blocks, 6 strops in lengths of 2m to 8m, 5m tow rope, 16 shackles - 3.75 to 6.25 ton, and plus a few other odd and ends.............. :P

Also we take the chain saw, a 21 inch bow saw, the emergency repair box, and a couple of tool rolls ............. :rolleyes:

:)

Ian

• 4 weeks later...