The definitive Bobtail SVA thread

bishbosh

Right, zero hour has come!

Cover me, I'm going in!

Good luck!

and do tell all...

Also a couple of queries you or others may know the answer to:

1- I assume the DVLA gave you a new chassis ID and told you to get it stamped on the chassis - did you have to do this before the SVA?

2- When you present for the SVA if it doesn't pass what if anything is there to stop you from putting the 'old' number plates back on and driving it home? :ph34r:

Is this a DVLA inspection you are going for or an SVA test?

Even more interested if it is DVLA as they can make a local decision as the whether you have to have an SVA. A case of 'talk the talk' to try and convince them that cutting 18" of the end of the chassis is not "Modifying" it.

Best of luck either way.

Steve

Is this a DVLA inspection you are going for or an SVA test?

Even more interested if it is DVLA as they can make a local decision as the whether you have to have an SVA. A case of 'talk the talk' to try and convince them that cutting 18" of the end of the chassis is not "Modifying" it.

Best of luck either way.

Steve

Dont know if chopping 18inches off is 'ok', but seeing as you are in Waterloovile (Hants?), just go down to the DVLA in Portsmouth.

Take the details of what it was, what it is(pics help explain to the counter staff), explain what you have done, and see what they say. Receipts if its 'Kit based' etc etc.

That is what Dlander and miketomcat did with there vehicles, ( i believe) and they got the V5 amended.

It costs nothing, bar time, and the inspector was helpful, when i spoke to them, and they just amended my V5 from RRC to Land Rover pickup for my hybrid, DVLA inspector deemed that SVA was not required.

OK, OK, calm down you lot!

This is how today has gone..... so far.....

I have to say that everyone involved in this process from both the DVLA and VOSA have been extremely helpful, friendly and in some cases sympathetic!!

DVLA vehicle inspection at 9am. Inspector was only interested in recording engine number and chassis number. Was at a bit of a loss why I had bobtailled it but I soon explained!

Having heard my explanation of what bobtailing involves he went off to consult someone / something.

He came back brandishing SVA application forms :( . When he said it needed an SVA test as the chassis had been modified I queried if he would be classifying it as a radically altered vehicle. He said he would not so I left the inspection somewhat encouraged that I will have to submit the truck for a standard SVA.

From the DVLA, I popped down to the VOSA SVA station in Avonmouth to get a few pointers from the inspectors there on how to prepare for the test. They were a little curious as to why the DVLA wanted an SVA done, but as the DVLA had requested it, the truck would have to be tested. The next question they asked was what category would it be submitted under?

The categories on the form are:

Left Hand Drive? Nope

Personal Import? Nope

Armoured vehicle? Nope

Hearse? Nope

Amateur built? Nope*

Vehicle built by a person in the business of building vehicles using parts of a vehicle registered in Great Britain? Nope

Rebuilt vehicle? Nope

Low volume? Nope

Disabled person's vehicle? Nope

European single approval? Nope

So that leaves:

A vehicle that is not in any of the classes shown above. Yep.

This class is known as Category R the Enhanced SVA. More on this later.....

Anyhow, the chaps at the test station were unsure how things would turn out so suggested I spoke to their technical department in Swansea (0870 6060 440). So, I got on the phone and had another very candid chat with a technical advisor at VOSA. He was well versed in bobtails and said that:

1. The DVLA are correct that as the chassis is modified the vehicle requires SVA and
  2. It would fall into Category R and
  3. Categor R requires Type Approval documentation from the vehicle manufacturer!!

His frank opinion was that " You will find it practically impossible to get the vehicle re registered on the road"

So, the bottom line is the Bishtail is no more. :( I've got until I get the formal letter from the DVLA, during which time it is still legal, but that's it. Keep an eye on the classifieds for bits of it.......

My advice to anyone considering modifying their vehicle is to contact VOSA first. Pop down to an inspection station and have a chat. Bounce your ideas off them. You may have to hang around for a while but they are really friendly and willing to offer advice.

Anyone got a 90 looking for a good home? Uber cheap mind! ;)

* If you could demonstrate that you built a bobtail on a donor chassis from scratch then you could possibly get into this category....

Oh dear - I'm really sorry to hear that Bish. You're not going to try for the SVA at all then?

I've booked mine in for an SVA with the aim of trying to persuade them it is an amateur build - but as I bought it built I have no photos etc to back it up and fear I will be in a similar position to you very soon...

Jos

Sorry to hear that Charles but TBH I did fear the worst.................. :(

I guess that puts all the def challenge traybacks with shortened chassis's on real dodgy ground ?

BTW the out come of your investigation seems to be on par with the guy that modified the Grand Vit , so I guess they are being consistent i their approach.

:)

Ian

Don't give in yet Charles

pull it apart buy an altered chassis from

a chassis company

rebuild it on said chassis keeping reciepts and go again.

Or Buy the 90 chassis complete with all body work

needs running gear/engine etc from me

and Bish tail becomes 90 TDI for a reasonable fee

Sorry to hear the bad news bish as I am sorry for anyone else that falls into this category.

Is it not possible for you to completly strip the bishtail, get a donor chassis to chop up so you can class it as an amateur build?

I may have missed the point entirely but just an idea as a donor chassis would be uber uber cheap.

Andy

i'm new to this, but surely all it would take is whip us a new chassis (bobtailed), give it to a friend in the motor trade, who then 'sells' it back to you as a chassis for bobtailing your vehicle?

then you'd have the reciept for the chassis, and it would be different from the one that was on there before, therefore would become an amateur built vehicle?

from what i've read in this thread this would be a good way around it, or am i missing something?

Somehow this is daft since you can now take the body off you bob and build a hybrid 100" defender onto the same chassis with the same engine and same axles etc with even more chassis mods and gwet it through an SVA. You could go one better and make a truckcab 100" and get it onto a commercial SVA. Someone explain the logic in the system!

Guest WALFY

Why not remove the chassis number, say it's a kit you've built up from several donor veh, apply for a new chassis number and reg from DVLA, apply for a SVA. Bob's your uncle.

Or do what the rest of the population do and bury your head and carry on rather than make life difficult for yourself. There are more than a couple of ways to skin a cat. Just don't choose the hardest way, you get no extra browny points for it