ADDITIONAL FUEL TANK(S)

Hello All,

I've been a LR junkie since my first 90 County tdi in the eighties, however, this is my first attempt at joining a forum. I 'm assuming it's not a 'gentlemen only' club.

Over the years, I've flirted with some series and lightweights and as I've also acquired four children along the way, I recently purchased my latest 'Nellie', a Defender 110 300 tdi 12 seater. With lots of seats for the kids, their chums, a few dogs, bags of shopping and a husband, I'm absolutely besotted with her. She's now a much loved member of the family and she is the preferred ride for the school run - "way cooler than the Merc."

Enough of the sentimental stuff........ We are seriously considering installing additional fuel tanks. It has been suggested that we opt for the 48L tanks in stainless steel to fit beneath the rear wheel arches. Isolating valves would be necessary to prevent fuel contamination. All advice would be appreciated - where to purchase the tanks from, any difficulties or problems we should be aware of, etc.

I've briefly introduced myself and would now like you to meet Nellie, the latest in a long line of 'Nellies' over the years.

post-4913-1208985378_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Marie

Guest WALFY

Welcome. Don't listen to Ralph, he's a moderator and thinks that gives him special powers that come with the position and exteded by his 110. What you need to do is bobtail it and make it a 90. :P:P .

If you look at the top right of the screen and find the search button, there should be lots of sensible information on this subject. Mo Murphy for 1 is sorting this. Worth a PM at least.

Welcome. Don't listen to Ralph, he's a moderator and thinks that gives him special powers that come with the position and exteded by his 110. What you need to do is bobtail it and make it a 90. :P:P .

If you look at the top right of the screen and find the search button, there should be lots of sensible information on this subject. Mo Murphy for 1 is sorting this. Worth a PM at least.

Thanks Walfy. PM sent to Mo.

Regards

Marie

Well I'm going to jump in here quick....! ;)

If it's any use to you, I have a long range fuel tank (of the type that sits in the rear wheel arch) for a 110 sitting in my shed gathering dust....

It's designed as a piggy-back tank - ie, it's permanently linked to the main tank and is filled via the original fuelling cap.

It's used, and will want some TLC (a repaint and a couple of pinholes sorted) but is otherwise solid.

post-86-1208987921_thumb.jpg

post-86-1208987975_thumb.jpg

For sale if you think you could make use of it.

Matt

If you are willing to spend some money I think it is longranger that offer tanks, australian company, but I am sure I have seen them mentioned in the UK. I can get an aussie contact info for you and possibly and idea of prices pretty easy.

I've been a LR junkie since my first 90 County tdi in the eighties,

Hello and welcome Marie.

Tdi engines were not available in Defenders untill 1991. ;) I suspect yours was a Diesel Turbo?

We are seriously considering installing additional fuel tanks. It has been suggested that we opt for the 48L tanks in stainless steel to fit beneath the rear wheel arches. Isolating valves would be necessary to prevent fuel contamination. All advice would be appreciated - where to purchase the tanks from, any difficulties or problems we should be aware of, etc.

Fuel contamination? Contamination by what? Surely when you fill it up with fuel it is all to be used before filling up again?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Marie,

Welcome to LR4x4 :)

I've replied to your pm but can't be much help I'm afraid :(

As I've said in the pm there are plenty of "expedition" people out there all of whom could help.

I think that if you need another filling point then it should be kept on the outside of the vehicle.

Mo

Guest diesel_jim

Allisport will make any tank of any size for you to fit as well.

and they do top quality stuff.

edit: I've also got an underseat tank that was fitted to a 110. a generous chap on the forum here let me have it. screw on top type thing.

similar looking to a 90 tank. if anyone's interested?

The one that pics on here that fit behind o/s rear wheel work very well as they just extend the capacity of your main tank , they fill at the same time and empty at the same time. The underseat tank , unless you use the military one , is a bit of a prob on a 110 wagon due to where to put filler. If you use the underseat military, you fill under driver seat cushion. You will need to fit a fuel pump to pump to main tank . This set up will bypass air lock ,and switchover tap problems and is simplest /cheapest to fit .

Are you expecting to have to travel long distances ? HTSH

ps. I run the above mentioned 3 tank setup in my 110 wagon , but its a V8 so gets thru the fuel a bit quicker. :lol:

Well I'm going to jump in here quick....! ;)

If it's any use to you, I have a long range fuel tank (of the type that sits in the rear wheel arch) for a 110 sitting in my shed gathering dust....

It's designed as a piggy-back tank - ie, it's permanently linked to the main tank and is filled via the original fuelling cap.

It's used, and will want some TLC (a repaint and a couple of pinholes sorted) but is otherwise solid.

post-86-1208987921_thumb.jpg

post-86-1208987975_thumb.jpg

For sale if you think you could make use of it.

Matt

Many thanks, Matt. Still mulling over which tank and where to place it but have decided on a totally separate tank. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Regards

Marie

Hello and welcome Marie.

Tdi engines were not available in Defenders untill 1991. ;) I suspect yours was a Diesel Turbo?

Fuel contamination? Contamination by what? Surely when you fill it up with fuel it is all to be used before filling up again?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I presently have a 110 Defender 300 tdi 1998.

Having driven from the UK to South Africa many years ago and more recently around India, I have first hand experience of being at the mercy of having to obtain any available fuel. This may include picking it up from farms and villages or people on bicycles along the way. You are not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to shiny clean petrol stations. Should the fuel be contaminated - and this could be with any type of liquid or gunk (use your imagination) the tank can be isolated until dealt with. At a different angle, a separate tank with a hidden filler could prevent the loss of the entire tank contents to thieves bold enough to syphon it out - and yes, it does happen - even in England these days.

Hope that answers your query. Now, can you help with the tank(s)?

Regards

Marie

Hello All,

I've been a LR junkie since my first 90 County tdi in the eighties, however, this is my first attempt at joining a forum. I 'm assuming it's not a 'gentlemen only' club.

Over the years, I've flirted with some series and lightweights and as I've also acquired four children along the way, I recently purchased my latest 'Nellie', a Defender 110 300 tdi 12 seater. With lots of seats for the kids, their chums, a few dogs, bags of shopping and a husband, I'm absolutely besotted with her. She's now a much loved member of the family and she is the preferred ride for the school run - "way cooler than the Merc."

Enough of the sentimental stuff........ We are seriously considering installing additional fuel tanks. It has been suggested that we opt for the 48L tanks in stainless steel to fit beneath the rear wheel arches. Isolating valves would be necessary to prevent fuel contamination. All advice would be appreciated - where to purchase the tanks from, any difficulties or problems we should be aware of, etc.

I've briefly introduced myself and would now like you to meet Nellie, the latest in a long line of 'Nellies' over the years.

post-4913-1208985378_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Marie

Just an idea but rimmer brothers might do one,they seem to have everything,and welcome,you get along great here the members are very welcoming and patient...as i found out!!! tris :rolleyes:

Have a look here. Available in black or stainless steel.

Various sizes and fitting options.

Many thanks for the link, q-rover. My husband had a long chat with them and they were most helpful. However, all their tanks are connected to the main tank, not totally independent as we require. They are happy to make one for us to our design which must state the positions and angles of the breathers and filler. So if you know of a budding young designer out there, please put them in touch.

Thanks again

Marie

Hi

Welcome to the forum! would you not be better off with jerry cans? then you'd only lose 20L at a time to contaminants/thieves? only downside is that you'd lose a bit of space in the cab or on the rack, having said that i saw a 110 that had extra cans fitted on the outside of the tub?

Mike

Jerry cans are a right pain on a long trip, you tend to want them down low inside the vehicle, which means having to empty everything out to fill them or use them, and it's almost impossible to avoid getting diesel dripping down the outside of the can which just gets on your gear and stinks.

A behind the rear wheel arch one is the way to go I reckon - maybe connected directly to the main tank to keep filling easy, but with an in line isolator so you could fill it up then seperate the tanks till you need the reserve and not lose so much it someone tried nickin it.

Why must you have a separate tank. I can't see any reason for that unless it's for another type of fuel.

Eightpot.

I use jerry cans. Four 10 litre ones on the roof. Not had a problem but there's always the first time.

I actually added a 20 litre diesel one and a 20 litre water one for the ten days in NW Namibia. Again no problems but well over the roof weight allowance.

mike

Why must you have a separate tank. I can't see any reason for that unless it's for another type of fuel.
Having driven from the UK to South Africa many years ago and more recently around India, I have first hand experience of being at the mercy of having to obtain any available fuel. This may include picking it up from farms and villages or people on bicycles along the way. You are not exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to shiny clean petrol stations. Should the fuel be contaminated - and this could be with any type of liquid or gunk (use your imagination) the tank can be isolated until dealt with. At a different angle, a separate tank with a hidden filler could prevent the loss of the entire tank contents to thieves bold enough to syphon it out - and yes, it does happen - even in England these days.

Allisport will make any tank of any size for you to fit as well.

and they do top quality stuff.

edit: I've also got an underseat tank that was fitted to a 110. a generous chap on the forum here let me have it. screw on top type thing.

similar looking to a 90 tank. if anyone's interested?

Do you know if it was removed from under the driver's seat? Is it complete and how much? Please PM me.

Thanks

Marie

I've used jerrys a few times and I'm adding another tank now instead - I just don't like the hassle of fishing them out, filling, wiping, loading them back up (I'm in a soft top so can't get em on the roof) and I've had a bag of clothes and my soft top damaged by diesel splashed cans.

But I've only got a small main tank on the 90, so jerrys were used more often for me, I was envious of my mates second tank in his 110 at fuel stops - nozzle in the main tank, fill her up and off, no messing.

Talking about long trips here though, for a holiday in France I would take a spare jerry can, my last outing needed six jerrys in the back though which was a joke, and I didn't feel particularly safe either!