Scrap Iron racing.....Gone under!!

Soliholic

I have met Colin several times, when we marshalled the old Scrapiron challenge series,

I told him once or twice I would not spend money with him and why, (ethics) he countered with an offer for rear springs at basically cost, I still didnt buy any :lol:

as he says there is no such thing as bad advertising, if someone slags him off, someone else will look them up, and probably spend money with him.

what will the chequebook offroaders do now?

Never ever dealt with them, never needed to just yet, but IF all the stuff on here about interlectual property theft and the like is true (and I honestly don't or do know that it is) I can't think of anything much worse than ripping off anothers ideas and selling them as your own.

Yes business can be a dog eat dog world but there is a place for ethics too. Perhaps this companies downfall is indicative of a lack of those, perhaps the companies that will survive the current situation will be those with sound business ethics, though of course good customer service will see some through too.

It sounds as if Scorpian had niether.

a couple of years ago, ORRP members were asked to leave his billing stand, as a couple of coded welders were pointing out how shoddy/dangerous the welding was on his stuff. :lol:

Blimey no one likes this company do they, I have purchased quite a bit from them. Colin was always polite to me, got a coffee for me and never arrogant. However buying the smallest thing just took so long, the phones were always ringing and nothing was ever priced in the showroom. When asked why, there answer was, that Tesco's stipulated that they couldn't as they were there as a wholesaler ?. WTF has that got to do with it ?. As for the polish, never come across a rude one yet, maybe they have taken over SR. I found the showroom nicely stocked, and the workshop was always busy, but it was a bloody nightmare parking there. They will most likely purchase the stock at a reduced rate and pay the administrators a small good will fee, and leave the creditors with a heavy loss. Bad buisness ethics however you look at it.

After Team Xtremelandy setup and put on a cracking Tailend Challenge the other week with Colin all i can say is i'm looking forward to laying on some more cracking events next year with the new Scorpion management !!!!!!! ;)

What do you want - a medal??

;) ;) ;)

However buying the smallest thing just took so long, the phones were always ringing and nothing was ever priced in the showroom. When asked why, there answer was, that Tesco's stipulated that they couldn't as they were there as a wholesaler ?. WTF has that got to do with it ?.

Ummm, I used to be the GM at the Colney Hatch Tesco and Scorpions contract does not say anything about not being able to show prices?

As for the business, whilst I feel for the staff and suppliers. Quite frankly the dwarf with clowns hair can go back to Lilliput and and take an NVQ in customer liason!

...so we're not having a whip round then? :ph34r:

Hopefully this will mean a return to journalism for LRO if they have a few blank pages to fill. Actually they'll have half a magazine to fill if they don't have any cheque book offroaders to feature - only the Cobleys to go and there could be a whole magazine to fill with something more interesting... :rolleyes:

If indeed that was the case it could have been a planning covenant , Business development as opposed to retail development.

That doesn't stop you from showing prices, although there is something in law about retailers having to show VAT whereas wholesalers don't, and businesses that serve the trade (for example, RS Trade Counters) have certain ways of operating to comply with the regulations of their premises such that they only sell to other traders (often "account holders") etc. rather than J.Random who walks in off the street.

However, Scrapiron never put prices anywhere - mags, show stands, leaflets, etc. which always just seems shady to me. Everyone else in the world seems to manage to publish prices.

There is an old saying

If you have to ask the price then you can't afford it

Fridge

The one place I have seen them put a price was on the friday night specials, however I did check the price against other leading brands and the waffle boards on offer were no cheaper than the d44 ones that weren't on special offer.

whats the link between www.scorpionracing.com and www.scorprionracing.co.uk? (apart from a scorpion thats done a u-turn and a slightly differnt font and the .com hasnt been updated since 2005...). Are they linked - or is it another immitation?