PayPal buyer protection

FridgeFreezer

In my quest for some in-cab heat, I recently bought a complete petrol-powered eberspacher (a rather rare beastie) from a chappy on eBay. When it turned up, it was minus the rather essential control unit <_< so I e-mailed him to ask if he could find it and send it on. Long story short, he didn't have it and didn't want to entertain the idea of a return/refund - in fact got rather arsey on e-mail. So, less than hopeful, I went through PayPal's dispute process (eBay have one but you have to wait a certain number of days, and I'm impatient :P ).

PayPal got in touch, said they agreed he listed it as complete and it wasn't, and to post it back with a tracking number. So, bundled it all up, sent it off, gave PayPal the tracking code and off we go. Obviously once PayPal get the code, they e-mailed the chap to say the thing was coming back and to expect a package. Next thing he e-mails me to say he'll refuse the package :rolleyes: and sue me if I leave -ve feedback (err, right!). He turns the postman round at the gate and a few days later I get the heater back. A week or so later, PayPal raid his account and give my money back as well :lol: probably not helped by the fact that ParcelForce's tracking thing shows the thing as "Delivered", even though it was delivered back to me :lol:

So - one upset muppet out of pocket, and one happy Fridge :P thought I'd share the love in case anyone was wondering about how safe it all is on eBlag.

In my quest for some in-cab heat, I recently bought a complete petrol-powered eberspacher (a rather rare beastie) from a chappy on eBay. When it turned up, it was minus the rather essential control unit <_< so I e-mailed him to ask if he could find it and send it on. Long story short, he didn't have it and didn't want to entertain the idea of a return/refund - in fact got rather arsey on e-mail. So, less than hopeful, I went through PayPal's dispute process (eBay have one but you have to wait a certain number of days, and I'm impatient :P ).

PayPal got in touch, said they agreed he listed it as complete and it wasn't, and to post it back with a tracking number. So, bundled it all up, sent it off, gave PayPal the tracking code and off we go. Obviously once PayPal get the code, they e-mailed the chap to say the thing was coming back and to expect a package. Next thing he e-mails me to say he'll refuse the package :rolleyes: and sue me if I leave -ve feedback (err, right!). He turns the postman round at the gate and a few days later I get the heater back. A week or so later, PayPal raid his account and give my money back as well :lol: probably not helped by the fact that ParcelForce's tracking thing shows the thing as "Delivered", even though it was delivered back to me :lol:

So - one upset muppet out of pocket, and one happy Fridge :P thought I'd share the love in case anyone was wondering about how safe it all is on eBlag.

Surely that is fraud. To recieve goods and return them for refund and then keep the goods? Not something I'd be shouting about on a public forum

Just to add to the good news, I had Paypal re-imburse me, by drawing funds from the Vendors account, for a Cellphone style battery that was DOA. The Vendor just didn't bother responding.

I've also just had a Vendor re-imburse me £3.00 because the postage wasn't as much as they quoted / charged in the advert. This was for a Laptop battery.

Good to hear good news!

Well done Fridge, he was pulling a fly one and being a pr*** about it as well. Its good to see PayPal being more assertive about its customers than ebay.

With regard to fraud as long you keep that parcel in its box ready for return (he will eventually ask for it back) and do the right thing and send it back when asked then you aren't doing anything wrong.

As long as you dont sell it or use it then your in the clear as far as I'm concerned.

And yes do shout about it on the forum as you have done nothing wrong!

Cheers

Grant

Surely that is fraud. To recieve goods and return them for refund and then keep the goods? Not something I'd be shouting about on a public forum

Why when he has the evidence he returned it (parcel force tracking info.).... also the seller stated in an email he was going to return it and he did.

Not the buyers problem I would say.

Guest diesel_jim

Lucky you got a reply from paypal.

I;m currently having discussions with them regarding a 20% voucher they sent me. i tried using it and it didn't work.

long story short, they "know" there's an issue and are "looking into it".... this was in September. useless to$$ers.

Anyone know who paypal/ebay's "governing body" is? (in the UK)??

In that case if you want to escalate things further the Small Claims Court is where you should head.

Not worth the cost in many cases. Small claims is around 60 pounds out of your pocket to start chasing the other person.

In my case why bother even to waste the time for less than 10 quid.

Fridge needs to keep the unit ready for return when asked ... but how long does he store it for, and at whose cost? I'd say you should write to the guy offering to store his Eberspacher at a cost of say, £5 a week. Then you can write it off over a period of time (you've got an agreed value because he sold it to you...) and flog it on at a defined future date. If he doesn't dispute your letter then he's entered a contract, in the same way that you immediately bin the new terms for your credit card but they're still binding.

Excellent news, i have been waiting several months for a clutch fork from Mr Henson. I followed the instructions and made a payment via pay pal incl. a donation to the forum. Fist time Les "forgot" then it got lost in the post and now my p.ms are ignored,i was going to put it down to experience but i`ll give that a go,thanks.

I've also just had a Vendor re-imburse me £3.00 because the postage wasn't as much as they quoted / charged in the advert. This was for a Laptop battery.

It's nice to hear of decent vendors - I have just received a refund of $10 from Autosport Labs (Megajolt suppliers) for the same reason - they had no need to do it but it gives me a warm feeling towards then that they did.

Also nice to hear that PP dispute resolution works - I do a fair amount through PP and never cease to worry when I pay for something I haven't seen.

If it were an item you found on the street and took to the police as lost property they would say you can hold it for 6 months and if not claimed in that time it becomes your property.

In your case I would write to the guy and say that as you have your money back he should send you both the cost of postage and packing for its return and the amount you have already spent sending it back once. You then state that if you do not receive it within 1 month you will consider it that the owner does not want it back and you will then regard it as your property to use or dispose of at your discretion.

Steve

Excellent news, i have been waiting several months for a clutch fork from Mr Henson. I followed the instructions and made a payment via pay pal incl. a donation to the forum. Fist time Les "forgot" then it got lost in the post and now my p.ms are ignored,i was going to put it down to experience but i`ll give that a go,thanks.

Hi Early,

That doesn't sound like Les to me at all. I understand it is very frustrating given all your circumstances but give him another PM, I would never recommend putting things down to experience if it doesn't feel right.

Cheers

Grant

In that case if you want to escalate things further the Small Claims Court is where you should head.

That is normally a waste of time as well,

Have a garage, down near Southampton that owes me £1500, Did all the forms on-line, paid the £80 court fee,, got judgement etc,, then another £70 for the bailiff to call, to be fobed off my the owner of the business saying,, " Oh, that's my Father, nothing to do with me,, and no idea where he is, " and the bailiff took him for his word, and left happy,,

Suppose he got his calling fee etc, so could not be arsed !!!

Also had a doggy sat nav disc from e-bay for the SL, when through the Paypal rigmarole etc, they wanted it sending back,, happened to mention, that its a counterfeit copy, and that trading standards would like to see it,, Refunded via Paypal in 24 hours !!

Well I got an e-mail this morning from him demanding the heater back and threatening to drive round to my house and "sort it out" :rolleyes: since he's refused it back once he's going to have to pay the postage this time, bet he'll love that :lol: he also says I'm the worst ebayer ever :hysterical:

Guest diesel_jim
Well I got an e-mail this morning from him demanding the heater back and threatening to drive round to my house and "sort it out" :rolleyes: since he's refused it back once he's going to have to pay the postage this time, bet he'll love that :lol: he also says I'm the worst ebayer ever :hysterical:

Well, at least if he drives round, he'll save the postage! :lol::lol:

Of you could say "sorry, i've just this minute got back from the post office, you now owe me £xx for the delivery!"