Bio-Coffee-Diesel

FridgeFreezer

on the bio-diesel note - has anyone had any experience with bio-diesel?

e.g. mixing it with good old mineral D.O or using straight bio-diesel??

the guy next door used to run his transit on a 50/50 mix of mineral and bio, but i cant remember where he got his bio-diesel from! before anyone says - he has since moved! :huh:

im running a 200tdi in my 110, just for reference.

I believe, in a classic Green-bobble-hatted style, the greens are now up in arms about biofuels because increased demand for plant oils means vast swathes of rainforest being cleared to grow palms. :rolleyes:

I do wish sometimes they'd do a bit of thinking before shouting at everyone <_< I'm waiting for them to cotton on to just how bad for the environment the Toyota Prius is, that should be a fun one to watch.

I'm doing a lot of looking at this for work - it's what I do. First-gen biodiesel isn't necessarily what it's cracked up to be for three reasons:

1) it needs land, and it's easier to chop down forest than seek out reuse of land

2) where they do use existing land, it's generally instead of food and we need to feed Africa before we drive our SUVs around Europe and America

3) it doesn't burn as well as mineral diesel (higher viscosity, lower calorific content, poorer cold-weather properties) so you lose your MPG.

It seems to have passed by the populace but the diesel you buy at the pumps is 5% biodiesel, and has been since April 2008. Some fuel suppliers have an ethical sourcing policy so they know that they're not driving land use change - have a look at Greenergy's biodiesel sourcing page.

Personally, I've run 50/50 veg oil/diesel in my LandRover in the past because I feel I understand the risks involved, and the costs added up at the time to pay back for any damage it caused to the engine. Now, prices have changed so they don't, I'm back on diesel.

Err... no. LPG can give better power, because of a high resistance to knock. Biodiesel has lower calorific value, higher viscosity, poorer cetane value, high oxidation rate... oh, and it magnifies any water-in-fuel problems you've had but never suffered from before because it supports microbial bacteria, which form a paste to block filters and they turn the fuel acidic when they die.

As you can probably tell, I'm a fan... :)

iv'e been runing my 200tdi 90 & my 300tdi disco on 100% bio made from fish oil for the last year and cooking oil befor that for 3 yrs , both run smooth with plenty of grunt,

and the neighborhood cats love the smell, i'm like the piped piper for cats :D

... and there are plenty of people who have done likewise. Firstly, there's a big difference between veg oil and transesterified biodiesel from organic sources, and second, a lot of the issues with using bio are 'big risk' rather than 'continuous penalty'. The consumption will likely be 1-3% greater, which takes 30mpg down to 29.1mpg, which most people won't really notice, so beyond that there is just a risk of greater problems. This can be issues with starting or filter plugging in cold winters, biological problems with water content as microbes eat the oil or just a corrosion problem from rubber compatibility which means you eventually have big problems with gummed rings or siezed injector pumps.

I'm not saying it's not an option (and waste fish oil has to be a viable source for sustainable oils) but just that there are more to bear in mind than just tipping it in the tank and forgetting about it. For me, the price has to be worth the extra maintenance checks, reduction in performance and potential for big bills.

I suspect that so long as its in a liquid form and mixes with diesel (rules out pee) then it will work. all these bio (except chipshop veg oil) options are usually only diluting the diesel at 5% so add what you like (subject to above mixing criteria) Its a hot potato at the moment what with credit crunch hence the thriving 'water injection' option fad and money being made from it by the promoters.

all a bit of harmless fun i suppose

I suspect it won't be long before all new cars have to able to handle the more challenging non-mineral fuels, in the meantime we're stuck with a list of issues depending on engine choice and fuel choice.

Biofuels from waste have got to be greener than specially grown fuel crops, that's for sure.

same here alex,

used to run 50/50 until about a month ago. Worked out that the cost of driving to makro/costco and buying 50l of veg oil was only saving me about 7p per litre over dino diesel.

then there`s the hassle of storing it in my woefully overfull garage and tanking up on my drive blahblahblah... just not worth it.

Now that diesel is 98ppl - veg oil can get lost.

I suspect that so long as its in a liquid form and mixes with diesel (rules out pee) then it will work. all these bio (except chipshop veg oil) options are usually only diluting the diesel at 5% so add what you like (subject to above mixing criteria) Its a hot potato at the moment what with credit crunch hence the thriving 'water injection' option fad and money being made from it by the promoters.

all a bit of harmless fun i suppose

Wrong :lol::lol:

Look up "add blue" in google :P

Lara

iv'e been runing my 200tdi 90 & my 300tdi disco on 100% bio made from fish oil for the last year and cooking oil befor that for 3 yrs , both run smooth with plenty of grunt,

and the neighborhood cats love the smell, i'm like the piped piper for cats :D

:o:o:o:rofl: Is that why my neighbour has all the cats on his bonnet and the dogs underneath the Landy anytime he parks? I was tempted to think he ate fish-n-chips daily... :blink: B)

I ran my Patrol on 50-60% veg, but when the price went from £1.50 for a 3 litre bottle all the way up to £3.45 for the same bottle over about a year, I bailed out . Can't help thinking the supermarkets all thought 'ooh this is selling far too well, we keep selling out of it, lets put the price up' bet nobody buys it at all now!