Gresh

Mark Jenkins

So to drive a car with serious and what must be obvious faults - mismatched callipers, loose steering, spongy brakes, loose drivers seat (to site the ones listed in the report) surely either shows wilful neglect or incredible ignorance.

For me the idea that he has suffered loss brings no sympathy if he has had responsibility in taking the lives of four children who were in his charge.

Whether he accepts it now or not I think he must feel at some point that he has taken the futures of those children away.

How sure are we that some of the faults listed were not a result of the accident? (Calipers obviously not..)

How loose is the seat ? Half a turn on one bolt? Are the brakes spongy compared to a 58 plate or do they reflect the braking system of a vehicle that age? How spongy are your compared to mine.

My Defender is disks all round and not rock solid at first touch, but then neither is my 5 Series 08 plate... What are they describing as spongy? Never achieving lock up? Not holding pressure? 4mm of pedal depression? Will we wever know.

Your interpertation of the report will be different to mine or anyone else on here I'm sure.. We will all develop our own picture.

There is no way Gresh would have put those kids into that car if he believed it unsafe. No parent would knowingly do that. I know I wouldn't.

What ever the press report about his attitude or how he responded to a question it's only their view... The only person who really knows is going to jail. I doubt he'll ever have a restful nights sleep wondering what might have been.

Let the man deal with it and we can move on. Speculating will change nothing... Sentance passed, conviction made. Case closed.

Neil

Unless the discussing of it encourages all of us to be safer and more responsible for what we do and those we care for.

Now that I can relate to..

But lets not continue the endless speculation around the unknowns of the vehicle in the accident, none of us can change that.

Maybe we should look at this as an opportunity to do some self-help. How about we get together as a groups in local areas and look over each others trucks and share concerns. It'll be up to the individual to take on board any recommendations but it may help some to realise what they really do know and challenge the reality of their vehicles road safety.

Anyone up for it in the Hertfordshire / Cambridgeshire area?

Neil

The worry is that the Media seem to be emphasising the 'modded' side of the findings rather than poorly maintained. Hope it doesn't turn out to be an excuse to start legislating against what we do to our vehicles or even to us being allowed to servise them our selves!

But lets not continue the endless speculation around the unknowns of the vehicle in the accident, none of us can change that.

Maybe we should look at this as an opportunity to do some self-help. How about we get together as a groups in local areas and look over each others trucks and share concerns. It'll be up to the individual to take on board any recommendations but it may help some to realise what they really do know and challenge the reality of their vehicles road safety.

Neil

This is a good thing but if you tell someone that his truck is dangerous due to his incompetence then they may be very offended, constructive criticism don't always go down to well,

Carl.

IIRC NG claimed that the transit appeared about 20 feet in front of him. So if the road was that twisty anything over slow is/was too fast for that road.

Always expect the unexpected, so drive at an appropriate speed so that you can stop if nessesary. The claimed 50 to 60mph was obviously much too fast for the conditions. He has obviously got off very lightly as far as the law goes.

The broken bracket was probably down to the stress of hitting the verge too fast.

i think it is written somewhere "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

I think that to judge this man or his pain on an open forum is less than in good taste, even by my somewhat lowly standards. None of us can ever know what happened that day.

I would say it better to let this man and his family move on from the incident rather than have them read or hear anymore about it and peoples judgements online.

Neil

That's fine until something untoward happens and the defence used is 'that bunch off LR4x4 checked it over and said it was ok' :(

Leave the poor "Gresh" family alone and get back on track! there is alot of emotion here that has f*ck all to do with Land Rover's!

RIP

For anyone that wants to leave a clever response go and leave it on here instead - http://www.psychologicaladvice.com/pages/options/forum.html

PS - I have a 1959 Series II, has anyone got some spare door hinges

He was driving to fast, dangerosly fast for the road drove onto the verg at speed he said he passed the transit at 30mph. That would affect any car no matter how well maintained. the modifications and poor maintance had a lesser affect than the speed. the sentance recived was no where near long enough 2 years is a joke should have been 6-8 in my opinion

You mean apart from the fact that he was driving one, and the whole case concerns it? :blink:

Les.

I thought as much?

What about the footballer on the M6 (that drove a Range Rover) that inadvertently drove into a car killing a family of 5. Shall we start that debate aswell?

This is a very sad case. I don't know Gresh, I didn't witness the accident but it has certainly made me think. I'm normally a quite reserved kind of bloke but I think now I won't think twice about voicing my concerns if I see something I consider unsafe. If the guy concerned, and all his mates, thinks I'm a total arse then so be it. At least my concience is clear.

Now, I've just got to find the thread where the guy is repairing his chassis frame with 1.6 mm sheet :unsure:

What about the footballer

Problem wasn't the vehicle - just the driver (or the way he drove).

I'm sure there are plenty of accidents where an L/R owner/driver was at fault, but lets not saturate the website with them eh?

This thread is certainly on topic, but some comments may not be - due to common decency/forum rules.

Les.

This is indeed a very sad case - but as has been said none of us know what did or did not happen- relying on the press to provide the 'facts' is simply not going to give the full picture.

No, but his ex partner was there and she said on the news that she felt the sentence was too light.

I'm sorry but I think that this thread has no productive point to it and brings nothing to this forum, everyone is now aware of the case and can search for information about it on news sites. From that they can draw their own conclusions.

In my opinion I think it's time to close this thread.

Brookers

I'm with Bish, I'm also with CosZuki. The judgement has passed, it won't have been reached lightly in a case such as this, so let's stop bickering about something we know very little about and move on.

I also think that those who are questioning the verdict and the findings of the forensic vehicle examiners, who spend all day examining crashed vehicles to find the root cause, are displaying exactly the sort of arrogance that leads to this sort of situation. None of us knows it all, yet often the least qualified are the most confident in their ability. If this case doesn't make you think twice about the condition of your vehicle and your attitude towards it, then you're missing the only silver lining to this cloud.