You are NOT a God

GBMUD

I saw this this morning:

post-209-1233918729_thumb.jpg

Looking at the position, the Landrover had failed to stop in time for a T-junction and had gone right across the main road and into the pond beyond - only the edge gladly. :( A reminder that speed is easy to gain in a 4x4 but not so easy to loose.

Elsewhere driving conditions were dreadful, losts of lorrys and cars unable to get up hills on this road:

post-209-1233918777_thumb.jpg

Currently still snowing.

Chris

Mate of mine said many years ago, when i said i'd give him a lift in the snow because the Rangey would get through, that "4 wheel drive just helps you crash faster" which i guess your photo proves.

If you can't drive worth a sh*t and don't pay heed to the conditions, it doesn't matter what you're in.

Where was the second photo Chris? By you in Trowbridge?

There are indeed some idiots out.

I was up on dartmoor the other day in the snow, in my Audi A3 wiht the missus taking some photos. We were crawling up a long hill in 1st at tickover when a landcruiser came shooting down the hill at about 25-30mph (we were on icy/compacted snow with almost zero grip - single track road too)

He decided that he wasnt going to slow, or stop until about 5 car lengths away when he slammed on the brakes, skidded down the road and only stopped after mounting both banks just short of my bonnet. The worst bit was he then proceeded to hurl abuse at me as if it was my fault he was drving like a dick, far too fast, without any care or attention or courtesy for other road users who were coming up the hill.

No wonder us 4x4 users get a bad name with people like that about.

I think ABS and traction control cause problems in some ways.

People who are used to them and then drive a 4x4 without them - suddenly realise how much work they do without them necessarily being aware of it.

And some people who have them have no idea what it all does whatsoever! ('What is that juddering on the brake?"). So when they reach the limit of its ability its a HUGE suprise.

I guess both those types of people also at the same time find out just how much momentum a big 4x4 generates!

I followed someone up a single track twisty road with ice on a lot of the corners - I took it easy and had loads of under-steer as the front end slid into the corners. They just left me for dead with their wheels doing all sorts of clever things! I bet from having glimpsed their casual demeanour they had no idea what their car was having to do to cope with their driving.

@smo. Yeah classic example of people expecting 4 wheel drive to find traction. If there is no grip there is no grip.

I also always assumed that the uphill traffic had right of way becuase they don't have gravity to assist when start moving again.

I also always assumed that the uphill traffic had right of way becuase they don't have gravity to assist when start moving again.

Standard mountain rules of the road, but ignored (or more likely just unheard of) by most townies.

Yes, the Highway Code holds a similar opinion.

I'm guessing it's a 'should' not a 'must', though?

Either way, sounds like the driver in question was driving dangerously anyway :(

I remember a column (I think by Frank Elson) in a magazine many years ago about the joys of using a Land Rover in the snow, where he wrote something like "bang down the yellow knob, pull out and overtake slowly and carefully, because it doesn't make your brakes any better does it?"

You get the same thing here in winter time, next to the garage there is a fairly tight S bend which traffic comes round at doing about 20-25mph in normal conditions, water runs down the road and freezes in a slight dip and you can guarantee EVERY frosty morning in winter there's be a bunch of pillocks come whizzing along the road and then express complete surprise when their steering and brakes suddenly don't work and they end up bouncing off the opposite kerb. I've lost count of how many accidents there have been and last winter one idiot went right across the road, through a chainlink fence and nearly wrote off a brand new 90 sitting in the car park :angry:

Standard mountain rules of the road, but ignored (or more likely just unheard of) by most townies.

yep thats my understanding to, give way to someone coming up hill

unless your off road then give way to the guy coming down as they may not be able to stop!

It's just as bad the other way around. The inner-city super-mini brigade at work spent the last year having a go about my "Chelsea tractor" until Monday. Now all they moan about is being stuck behind some 4x4 that was ONLY doing 25mph.....

"..you people buy those 4x4's, drive them around all summer destroying the earth and then when you can use them properly you drive all slow, it's because you don't know how to drive them....." ......

:angry2: .........(Punch!)......

Final straw for me...... didn't like him or the job anyway! :lol:

been recovering van / lorrys all day today. I've seen a few others attempt it aswell. pulled a few of them out too.

interesting to have to relearn the old 4wd system of power on to turn rather than a lift in my gti. in my mate s field i've been pracicing feint motion or the scandinavian flick as its more populary know.

if suitable distances are left to turn,stop and manouvre then ther hould be no real problem

yep thats my understanding to, give way to someone coming up hill

unless your off road then give way to the guy coming down as they may not be able to stop!

It's my experience that many drivers of new Range Rovers are always actually off road, and hence have the right of way, apparently

I agree all of the above, I dont think people new to the game realise just what affect the extra weight in the 4x4's tends to have especially trying to stop in bad conditions or going down hills.

I think there are enough videos showing the similar pilllocks hammering their 4x4's to destruction off road and then blaming it on the vehicle for not being tough enough.

I suppose its just about education, hopefully without having to go through the likes of Photo number one first!

Cheers

G

Lots learning the hard way that ABS will not stop you on snow and ice, all it does is keeps the wheels turning, so 2 tonnes of metal needs a loooooong way to stop in!!!!

4 wheel drive is great for the going bit but doesn't help stopping much at all. Quickest way to stop is to deliberately spin the car, not advisable in a 90/110 but soemthing I have done way back in the past driving Cortina's and Anglia's.

i followed a pajero the other day on a road that was particularly bad, 4 prats in it saw me behind so decided to try and "show me up" and put their foot down :blink: only to completely lose it slamming on the brakes and hit the roundabout and ended up in the middle of it with 2 flat tyres :rolleyes:

needless to say i showed much consideration for their predicament and wound my window down so they could hear my laughter as i drove around the roundabout and carried on my way :lol::lol::lol: