Boots...not just any boots

M&S

This has to be one of the saddest posts ever to grace the pages of the forum :ph34r: but where else do you ask such a question...

I've been after some boots for driving/laning etc. I have wellington boots, hiking boots, safety boots, but none of them are great for driving in.

I was watching the Malaysian Camel Trophy (1992) last night and the guys were wearing a sand coloured boot. It looked really soft, perhaps a canvas type material? Any ideas where I can get some from? They don't have to be a stinky, well worn original pair :P just a similar designed boot.

Feel free to delete this thread if it is deemed to be too "Heat Magazine" :unsure:

I wear dewalt work boots. They have steel toe caps and soles, goretex, antibacterial insole and so on - and were very very comfy and flexible right from the beginning.

I think the protection and waterproofing is useful out on the lanes.

p4752185_x.jpg

£80 normally - but I think they might be on offer for just £35 at screwfix at the moment - bargain if its right.

jungle boots may have the grip but in good old britsh weather they are freezing and with the metal plate that runs the length of the sole they dont have much flex, i have driven in most milltery boots from the old desert to the new lowa and to be hounest i drive in trainers then change but if this isnt no good try a pair of magnums (desert of black) or swat boots there are loads of different types these are like trainers but boots on the link below there is a pair of pro tex 11 i use these there awsoe comfy and warm and the sole pattern is simlair to the jungle so gd grip too

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shop/bo...CFRMFZgodi3vRmA

I wear dewalt work boots. They have steel toe caps and soles, goretex, antibacterial insole and so on - and were very very comfy and flexible right from the beginning.

I think the protection and waterproofing is useful out on the lanes.

p4752185_x.jpg

£80 normally - but I think they might be on offer for just £35 at screwfix at the moment - bargain if its right.

i had these and they lasted 3 weeks before the soles peeled off them!

rockports are a bit chavvy but stay waterproof and comfy for ages!!

This has to be one of the saddest posts ever to grace the pages of the forum :ph34r: but where else do you ask such a question...

I've been after some boots for driving/laning etc. I have wellington boots, hiking boots, safety boots, but none of them are great for driving in.

I was watching the Malaysian Camel Trophy (1992) last night and the guys were wearing a sand coloured boot. It looked really soft, perhaps a canvas type material? Any ideas where I can get some from? They don't have to be a stinky, well worn original pair :P just a similar designed boot.

Feel free to delete this thread if it is deemed to be too "Heat Magazine" :unsure:

Hi

Try magnum boots owned by Hi-Tech used by speacial forces and and most police forces in the uk they come in a sand coloured version called the Magnum Elite Spider 8.

Now the worst bit they are about £50-120 depending on what you choose also you could try "Grafters" as used in Iraq and other places by the British forces that get fed up with desert boots not being heat proof!

Cheers

James

One of the best boots I've used are Danner. Got some Fort Lewis to try as they where cheap ($20 on ebay, nicely broken in) and they have been great. A lot lighter than you'd expect and very comfy, can wear them all day without any fatige. I'd probably go for the Recon boots if buying again as the Fort Lewis are a little high for general use, but great for wading through mud/streams/etc.

There's a huge difference between jungle boots and desert boots. It's a different tool for a different job.

For our hotter climate I use the suede & canvas US Desert Storm boots as used every day by the soldiers in Iraq and Afganistan (& other desert). These are well ventiated and have a high tongue that won't allow sand inside etc but being vented they arn't water proof like a leather boot.

For dirty work I use the Magnum Boots...but again these arn't fully water proof unless you treat them with after market products.

The biggest rip off to date had to be the Original Camel Trophy Hot climate Desert boots made from Nubuck leather. I thought they would be the answer to my prayers but after walking on hot tarmac for ten minutes the glue fixing the soles on melted and they turned into a 90 quid pair of flip flops.

My mate Mark had the exact same problem with his.....

I took them to a back street cobbler who sewed the soles on using a heavy twine....now they are worthy of being called a desert boot.

i've always been a big fan of Raichle boots.

they aint the cheapest footwear around - but imho you get what you pay for!

got 2 pairs,

one pair for mountaineering/walking (also allow the fitment of crampons and snow shoes) and are excellent all round heavy duty boot. Cant remember their name as i bought them a few years ago. They are a bit stiff for driving in. Not impossible, but i find that after a full days trialling or greenlaning i know about it!

Other pair is what i bought for general day to day stuff - Sierra GTX - bloomin awesome boot! Fully water proof and flexible enough for dancing in (if that floats yer boat) and yet still supports the ankle enough to prevent twisting and bones breaking when clambering about rocky rtv sections.

They`re actually just as comfy as my trainers and i always put these on first before getting my Nike cross trainers out......

boots clicky link

Thanks for looking everyone. I might try and take a photograph of the ones in the video. The closest match though are the army surplus desert boots, so I will have a look next time I'm passing.

As I say, I have good hiking boots already, I just find them difficult to drive in. Don't forget I'm in a D2 so the throttle response is perhaps a bit more delicate than in some other vehicles :ph34r:;)

The gortex jungle/army boots etc aren't really what I'm looking for.

To prove the point though, whilst opening a gate yesterday the grass "gave way" an I ended up with a shoe full of s**t :angry: And I had my wellies in the back :rolleyes:

Will try and grab some photos later.

These are the Camel Trophy Desert Boots that I referred to earlier. They are soft Nu-Buck leather with a heavy duty canvas upper ankle support.

I wouldn't say they were suited to wet conditions though.

post-264-1235999706_thumb.jpg