Greasable, slop free, rebuildable Defender hinges-10 minute mod

Let us know what the seller says re shank length, they'd finish the job off nicely!

OK, question asked. I presume I am wanting 50mm of Shank?

My finishing touch would be a small amount of Clear Silicon Rubber in the Hex to keep the crud out. There is nothing worse that spending ages trying to dig out that small stone thats wedged in the head.

Colin.

• 1 month later...
OK, question asked. I presume I am wanting 50mm of Shank?

My finishing touch would be a small amount of Clear Silicon Rubber in the Hex to keep the crud out. There is nothing worse that spending ages trying to dig out that small stone thats wedged in the head.

Colin.

I didn't get an answer to my question But I order a couple anyway as I wanted some other bolts he was selling.

Unfortunately they didn't have a shank on them :(

• 1 year later...

hope your door check bars are in fine order or a strong gust of wind will kill the grease nipple.

neat job though.

Why the notch? Wouldn't want to do that to my hinges.

Much easier to leave it as it is and plug the hole and only fit the grease nipple as you want to grease.

True, but the same is true of the standard setup anyway. If the thief can get the four hinge-to-bulkhead screws out then it's doors away :)

Might look into drilling the inside of some hinges and tapping for a grease nipple. Hole could easily be filled with a grub screw or very small cap-headed setscrew, and it's out of site that way.

top job, about what i got mine for, just need a nice sunny dry day to fit them now :D

I bought a set of 3 for the rear door at peterborough show last year, fitted in an hour - with lots of chatting and tea drinking. I can still shut the door with one finger with the spare on it.

• 4 weeks later...

Depending on what tools you have available you could drill a small hole down the centre of the bolt from the threaded end to just past the middle, then another small hole across the bolt to meet it. If you were then to chop some more of the threaded bolt off you could add an 8mm threaded nipple in from the bottom of the hinge and avoid having the nipple on the side and having to grind the clearance groove.

Hey peeps Just carried out this mod last week and WOW, the Hinges on my LR90 were shot big style, Got a set of hinges of fleabay and they turned out to be Brit Parts and felt as if they had almost as much slop as my current ones so was glad i was doing the mod,

Any hows i punched out the pins then drilled out the door hinge NO PROBLEM,

To get everything aligned i pushed the spline end of the hinge pin back in the top of the body hinge and put it in my pillar drill so i could get the vice to align easier, then drilled out the top part, This is where i came across the only problem of the whole operation. the two holes are not inline. once drilled all four hinges showed that the top hinge hole is offset by about 2mm to the lower hinge hole.

To get round this i did not cut my new bolts to length. Instead i ground the bolts to a round point, what this did was when i assembled the hinge it alloud me to use a hex wrench and gently tap it with a hammer and that pushed the bolt into the thread, Once it was started it was all ok.

So really good mod and now i have no door related problems and some nice hinges. :D Just thought i would let you know what i found encase its not a Brit part design and just a general design

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a great idea! I'd like to do this to my old Series 3 hinges as the new ones I bought have more play than some of the old ones! So I'm sending those back...

Is it possible for you to reload the pictures as the links in the original post are broken.

Thanks,

Jase

Maybe I'm just a muppet but I failed on this one. <_<

I couldn't quite get the 2 holes in the bulkhead part to line up exactly despite using a pillar drill and drill press and if the hole through the other part is just a smidgen oversize you're back at square one.

The idea's great, it's just not quite that easy as everything has to be in a perfect line and to exact size.

Gave up and bought a new set of o.e. ones from a site that had them for about £20 - job done.

Malcolm

I couldn't quite get the 2 holes in the bulkhead part to line up exactly despite using a pillar drill and drill press and if the hole through the other part is just a smidgen oversize you're back at square one.

The idea's great, it's just not quite that easy as everything has to be in a perfect line and to exact size.

Gave up and bought a new set of o.e. ones from a site that had them for about £20 - job done.

Malcolm

Please could you provide the link to that site. I have some friends coming to South Africa from London so I may be able to organise some. Were you happy with the quality? Either way I'll still attempt the fix on the old hinges first.

Sorry I dont have the pics on my PC, I'll have to take some new ones but the hinges are on my 110 in pretty much the same state as pics above-they're still working well!

Any luck with getting those pics. I'd still like to give this a try.

Thanks,

Jase

Malcolm

I just did them with a battery drill and each half stuck in a vice-they were worn out so it was worth tinkering with them before they went in the bin, they turned out well enough to put back on and use since.

I did run a countersinking bit into the top of the bulkhead half just to help the drill bit centre itself, I might have drilled progressively bigger holes-I cant remember, but it was easy enough to do.

The door hinges are actually quite complex angular items-I drew one up in autocad for machining some up but with a spherical bearing as the rotating member;

http://www.medwaypt.co.uk/MPT_Spherical.pdf

but it was getting quite expensive so never went any further.

i'l hopefully take some more pics tomoz.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Well just like RNP, I had a knackered door hinge that I thought I'd experiment with prior to binning it.

Since the original photos have disappeared from this post I've taken plenty ;)

In principle I have done just the same, but looked at the greasing slightly differently.

The socket head cap screws I bought were M8 x 80 long 12.9 grade, so unlikely to wear any time soon. I drilled the holes out, taping the lower part M8, then drilling the middle and top to Ø7.9. In reality the centre part was worn so oval that it only just cleaned up. The original hinge pin I drifted out was not worn much at all, and I suspect future wear will again manifest itself in this hole, thus limiting further rebuild options, but this should last quite a while I hope.

I also had a lot of vertical slack to take up, just over 1mm it turned out after I filed the surfaces to tidy them up.

I turned up some plastic washers from black Acetal, O.D.14.0 and I.D.8.0, and 1.0 thick.

Screw with 10mm chopped off its length and the plastic washer

post-7124-0-85966000-1404985996_thumb.jpg

My take on lubrication was inspired by the grease gun used for sprocket tip chain saw bars. There is a 3mm hole each side of the bar, and you use a pointy nosed grease gun.

post-7124-0-12964600-1404986188_thumb.jpg post-7124-0-04195500-1404986195_thumb.jpg

I drilled the back of the hinge Ø3mm to break into the hinge pin hole. This location should be quite well shielded from the elements, and the jet wash.

post-7124-0-88892700-1404986143_thumb.jpg post-7124-0-84096400-1404986214_thumb.jpg

A mistake I learned here. I should have drilled the hole perpendicular to the surface. The oval hole doesn't seal at all well on the grease gun tip. I now know for the next one.

The top of the hinge is not flat, so needed filing down so the cap screw sits against a level surface. This picture shows a little more filing needed.

post-7124-0-40489600-1404986441_thumb.jpg

The almost finished assembly.

When assembled, there is insufficient clearance to squirt grease in. I think either a wee bit more clearance is required, or maybe some small flats on the screw diameter. I shall experiment further...

post-7124-0-01871700-1404986506_thumb.jpg

• Like 1