Chrome Swivel Housing Balls (Series IIa)

TonkaIIa

Hi all,

I’m currently in the process of stripping down and rebuilding my front axle on the series IIa.

My idea was to renew all seals/gaskets and have a check over, replace the axle casing with the one I had plastic coated at work.

On inspecting the Chrome Swivel Housing Balls, I’ve noticed that some areas of the chrome are missing and slightly pitted, but with no real depth to the pitting. Is it just a case of renewing them.....!!

My question is it possible to have the balls grit blasted and re-coated with some other type of coating instead of replacing them?

I’m thinking of using the coating at work (Same on the axle) on the ball area, this is very smooth with roughly the same thickness of the chrome plating already on the balls. Another plus is that any damage to the plastic coating can be repaired by applying a repair patch on it and sanding down with wet & dry.

If I was to go down this path, would there be any problems from doing this?

post-8139-1244056257_thumb.jpgpost-8139-1244056277_thumb.jpg

post-8139-1244056320_thumb.jpgpost-8139-1244056337_thumb.jpg

Has anybody done this before?

Any thoughts or ideas!!

Cheers

Gary

The Americans have tried a similar approach, as new balls are noticably more expensive for them. If I recall correctly, one method was to grit blast all the chrome and rust off, apply epoxy adhesive to all the pits, sand smooth, then coat in POR 15, sanding down as required. The POR15 was used because (I understand) it is hard when dry.

So I'd say there is a precedent. Clearly you have to have the patience to sand the pits level, before or after the first coating. Using your coating to fill the pits may mean that you end up sanding most of the first coat away. But as you have the facility to apply multiple coats that doesn't seem much of a problem.

Damage to the chrome.

The suggestion is sometimes made that this is due to stone chips. I'm not 100% convinced, as if it's impact damage that starts the rot, how does the rear of the ball get damaged? Inspection will show that the rear of the ball can and does rust as easily as the front.

Note that some replacement balls have a black Teflon coating, looked on with suspicion by almost everybody just because it's different. The same people will also rubbish the quality of the chrome on modern replacements.

Shrug, there is an element of a gamble which ever way you jump, so you may as well do your own thing, and be master of your own destiny.

Good luck.

• Like 1

i'd definately give it a go, if its not too much bother then why not, rub it down and give it a good coat, the axle looks like a good coat thats very smooth don't know how hard it is?

You've got nothing to loose so why not, i'd be interested to hear how it turns out. im sure many 101 owners would too, as the swivels are an integral part of the axle casing so a pitted swivel is a much bigger issue.

Good luck anyway

Dave

OK, I've done a little research on the products we have at work.

One of the coatings looks the best to use on these.

Thickness between 0.152 - 0.305 millimeters (152-305 µm)

Roughness less then 0.005 millimeters (5 microns)

Good abrasion

High impact resistance

Temp to 203°F (95°C)

Colour "Brown"

A primer is used prior to the application of the coating, this should remove most of the pitted areas prior to the coating be applied.

My only concern is that the rubber seal will not move easily as the chrome :unsure:

Does anyone have a photo of a teflon coated ball (I'm getting the hang of using this word.....)

Cheers

Gary

Sounds like a really good idea to me. :)

You could blank off the bearing recesses with wooden plugs during blasting and coating so that the dimensions remain unaltered.

The baked on plastic coating isn't porus and can be sanded even smoother with wet and dry if necessary. I'd think it may be more resiliant than chrome and maybe just as slippery - why not rub a bit of oil on your finger and see how it feels on the axle?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just an update on how the coating looks on the Swivel Housings.

Damaged chrome was grit blasted off to clean white metal (SA2.5), a primer was sprayed on and baked to harden.

Once cooled coating was sprayed on and baked to harden, with the finished product below :i-m_so_happy:

post-8139-1248982369_thumb.jpgpost-8139-1248982415_thumb.jpg

post-8139-1248982463_thumb.jpgpost-8139-1248982478_thumb.jpg

post-8139-1248982496_thumb.jpgpost-8139-1248982513_thumb.jpg

Finish is really smooth, with just some small areas you can see were the pitting was but should be OK. Some coating has been applied into the bearing recesses but will be cleaned out prior to refitting the bearings etc.

Just a case then of fitting them onto the axle and see how long they last......

Will keep you all updated.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

Look good, and hopefully they will last longer than the chrome on the aftermarket balls.

I ususally spary chain grease on my swivels at irregular intervals in the winter, as I've seen new balls that have been left out and they just rusted up so fast!

If these work out then your work could start up a new product line!

Especially for Stage 1 V8 Swivels and 101 axles.

G.

If it works there is definite potential for a sideline, but BROWN!

I could live with brown.

Purple would be difficult, or pink, but brown is ok.

Dark silver would be most universal, or grey.

Black would be fine.

But Pink would be out.

G.

Brown....... :lol:

Well i've fitted the bearings today, whilst removing the slight over-spray in the recesses the coating is very very hard so can't see any problems with wear, but time will tell.

I just wished i'd had the chassis done like this as well :P

Cheers

Gary

Hi All,

Spent most of today fitting the front axle on with the new front RM springs/shocks received.

The coated swivel housings balls fitted really well, with the rear seal sitting perfect on the ball and moving easily when moved.

post-8139-1249322479_thumb.jpgpost-8139-1249322515_thumb.jpg

post-8139-1249322568_thumb.jpgpost-8139-1249322584_thumb.jpg

post-8139-1249322621_thumb.jpg

Really happy how they have come out, and look forward to trying them on the test run when the motor is complete.

Cheers

Gary

• Like 1

• 3 years later...