Fiting an electric Kenlowe fan

Hi all.

On my 200tdi in my 90-110 (Retro fit job) I have the viscous fan which I cut down so it didnt clout the steering box.

But regarding the Viscous fan.. I dont really like them as when bleeding the PAS pump or needing to access something on the engine I have to turn it off due to the fan and admiring the fact I have 10 finger nails to cut :D

I would like to bin the old fan and replace with a Kenlowe fan I already have. The kenlowe fan is fitted to a Series 3 2.25p, I cant remember if it has a thermostatic controller to turn it on and off.. But I will simply turn it on everytime I drive the 90 and manually turn it off when I park up.

Well the kenlowe is fitted to my S3 as mentioned but is on the outside of the radiator?. Now on my 90 whats the best option for me?, Outside or inside and sucking or blowing (Orr errr missus :P)

Also bit OT but as it is a Disco lump in a 90 I have left the original water temp sender in the 200tdi.. Is this okay or will it need to be swapped?. Also as it is will it over or under read?.

Many thanks.. Matt

temp guage under read IIRC - easy to change it then you know its right.

you can take the viscous off or stop it rotating when not locked up when you bleed the PS.

personally i would stick with the viscous - your reason for chaning seems to be so you can bleed the PAS which doesnt normally occur that often?

If you go and fit the electric one fit a thermostate - whats the point turning it on and off all the time? may as well have a viscous if your running it all the time. in fact the viscous would be better as it wouldnt over cool.

regards location depends what your doing, outside and pushing air through would be fine if you have the space, no winch and dont drive through stuff that could get caught in the fan. inside and sucking would be my preference.

Just to contradict JST - electric is a far better option for many reasons.

HOWEVER, before we re-start an old holy war, I'd point out that the fitment and pros/cons of electric fans has been covered hundreds of times before on this forum, so use the SEARCH button and have a read.

The short version is, buy an X-Eng fan switch.

FF - your not contradicting me, i merely stated that for the purpose of bleeding the PAS fluid or engine maintenance which appears to be the decision behind fitting the electric fan i wouldnt bother.

i agree that there are many others reasons why you would fit an electric fan but engine maint isin't a deciding one for me.

Yes - get an X-Switch much easier to plumb in than a kenlow one too.

My Kenlowe's funny little thermostat thing will be replaced with an X-Fan switch when I have the time/funds.

Suprisingly, the silly capillary tube thing hasn't actually leaked yet...but we shall see :)

Oh, and my fan is mounted on the inside and pulls air through the rad. I made up a quick-remove mount for it, utilising the mounts for the viscous cowling. This means that when the rad is full of mud etc the fan can very quickly and easily be removed for cleaning.

Hi all.

On my 200tdi in my 90-110 (Retro fit job) I have the viscous fan which I cut down so it didnt clout the steering box.

But regarding the Viscous fan.. I dont really like them as when bleeding the PAS pump or needing to access something on the engine I have to turn it off due to the fan and admiring the fact I have 10 finger nails to cut :D

I would like to bin the old fan and replace with a Kenlowe fan I already have. The kenlowe fan is fitted to a Series 3 2.25p, I cant remember if it has a thermostatic controller to turn it on and off.. But I will simply turn it on everytime I drive the 90 and manually turn it off when I park up.

Well the kenlowe is fitted to my S3 as mentioned but is on the outside of the radiator?. Now on my 90 whats the best option for me?, Outside or inside and sucking or blowing (Orr errr missus :P)

Also bit OT but as it is a Disco lump in a 90 I have left the original water temp sender in the 200tdi.. Is this okay or will it need to be swapped?. Also as it is will it over or under read?.

Many thanks.. Matt

Surely it depends which way the fan is designed to rotate?

I know you can reverse the direction of rotation by changing the negative and positive electrical connections but most fans are designed to run in a particular direction. Is there an arrow on the fan showing direction of rotation? If there is, it is easy to work out whether the fan will suck or blow when it is turning in the correct direction, by looking at the shape of the fan blades. That will then dictate whether you fit the fan in front of or behind the radiator.

I'm with Fridge on this one too, electric is better than viscous/mechanical for a variety of reasons.

HTH

Mark.

I have yet to take off the kenlowe on my 109.

The other reasons for fitting a Kenlowe are that I think it looks a neater installation than a chopped down viscous and apparently ditching the Viscous gives extra power an MPG?.

I just dont like big sharp bladed fans whizzing about when I need to access the engine bay!. Plus it means I can route one of my pipes (Turbo to air box) properly.

Progress report...

Just taken the fan off of my old series.. It is not a Kenlowe but a "Gates" and made in Italy. Anyway just tested it on a battery and it works fine and sucks and blows depending which way you wire it up..

I also have a "sleeve" which is a small copper tube (38mm bore) with a switch in it. This was fitted by chopping a section out the top hose and fitting this in its place.. I take it this is the temp switch?.

Wiring is not an issue as my Dad is really good at wiring!

But mounting the fan has many posibilities!. Not sure which side of the rad to mount it on though!. But instead of making huge brackets to mount it.. I have also seen on a 2.5td 90 I worked on at the garage I worked at where the owner fitted 2 small electric fans and mounted the fans to the rad. He used threaded bar and pushed them through the fins on the radiator and used big washers and nyloc nuts.. I was thinking about doing this but using big body washers with big rubber washers?. Is this a good idea or not? I cannot se it being good for the radiator but was assured this is how a lot of people do it?.

If not I'll just have to try making brackets?

I wouldnt mount anything through the cores. I know that its what quite a few people do, indeed my fan came with a fitting kit to do just that, however any movement of the fan will quite literally wear a hole in the rad. I made up two strips of stainless (it was free) slotted them into the base of the radiator frame at the bottom and secured them at the top with the redundant studs that used to hold on the fan cowling. The fan then mounts to the two strips. Dead easy, and has been like that for 2 if not 3 years.

I can take some piccies if it helps.

Rich.

It's a horrific idea.

It's a bodge, an easy way out, that is not good for the core at all. Imagine the vibration the core will be subjected to on an off-road vehicle.

I would hate to think I have bodged anything on my 90!!!!!!

In that case I'll need to look at making brackets!.

As promised, this is how my 14" Kenlowe is mounted. First I got some scrap aluminium sheet, a reasonably large gauge, and cut some strips.

One top:

DSC00693.JPG

And one bottom:

DSC00694.JPG

The bottom mount slots into the brackets that the viscous fan's cowling slotted into. I beat adjusted these with a hammer ever so slightly to make it grip the ally slightly more and stop it rattling:

DSC00695.JPG

Then the top mount lines up with the two studs, again once used by the old cowling:

DSC00698.JPG

Those of you who are more eagle-eyed may have spotted that my design puts my fan about an inch from the radiator, well you'd be right:

DSC00699.JPG

I have not found this to be a problem. The radiator cools very well on it's own (I'm no expert but I should think the 1" gap would help the ram-air cooling very slightly, due to a more free passage of air), and the fan never comes on except when bombing it on the motorway or when driving off-road. When it does come on it soon goes off again quickly, so it is still pulling air through the rad well despite the 1" gap.

Hope that helps someone

im doing the 200 tdi thing but have only got has far has taking the old td lump out im missing the high pressure pas hose and i belive the the other hose would fit but do you know if you can fit the td pump on the 200 or not did you put in a new clutch i will probably do this for the sake of doing it for peice of mind if any thing did you find it a easy job or not fitting the whole engine

• 5 months later...

hi all

this is my first post on here i looking to buy a lr 90 or 110 my frend has a 110 the one in the pick having a bath is the best way of putting it. I'm looking at doing a few upgrade to mine if i get one i want to put a new harness in as the old one is likely to be choped and shut in many places. Also an electric fan im a tranie mercanic and we have just done cooling and an upgrade on a fan sounds a good idea. Can you fit an electric fan to any model or age of 110 or 90.

many thanks.

boggy-uk

As long as you buy one that fits it shouldnt be a problem!

As stated above- DO NOT USE THE CABLE-TIE TYPE ARRANGEMENT THAT KENLOWE SUPPLY I did, "just to get the thing on" and before i knew it it had been on there 9 months and chewed through my rad! :ph34r: Big big puddles of water. Tears of anguish+ coolant :(

Luckily the v8 was due to go in shortly afterward, so i ordered a v8 rad and mounted it properly. new v8 rad+ 2.25 = very cool 2.25 :ph34r:

Hi,

Just to add another idea, here's what I did.

When changing from 2,5 NA to 200 TDI, I also used the TDI-radiator and fan cowl.

At the scrapyard I found the perfect Kenlow-look alike.....being an ex Chevrolet Corsica fan (sorry for that guys..)

I fitted the Chevy fan inside the TDI fan cowl and job done !!

I'm very happy with the end result.

Here's some pictures:

fan7.jpg

fan8.jpg

Let me fix that for you:

Expensive fans, mountings that eat your radiator and boiler thermostat switches which fail when damp... get yerself to a scrappy I say! :ph34r:

LOL- :D, having seen what other people have done, i would now have to agree.

My dad got a fan for free from a Volvo- a guy at the dump was about to chuck it and Dad happened to be there to say- "i'll have that" The fan works, so not sure why he was lobbing it anyway...

That and an x-fan jobby and his 110 will be sorted for muchos less pennies than mine was. :)

I have since ditched the Kenlowe leak maker switch as I got an x-fan for Christmas.

• 1 month later...

I am swapping my 2.5na with a Def 200tdi along with the 200tdi rad/intercooler. As in India its becomes very hot. I have been advised by Kenlowe to have a 14" electric fan plus the original viscious fan. Is it possible to have both. Also as I will be getting an A/c for the 110, is it better to mount the kenlowe inside (before the rad) or on the outside after the rad/intercooler and the A/c cooler.

Am also looking out for an extended grill as its there on the new defenders. Does anyone know where I can source that as then I will have enough place to put everything in.

I'd be surprised if you need both viscous and electric, as LR themselves test their vehicles in 50C+heat and are designed with this in mind... If your rad and viscous are in decent nick then you shouldn't have any problems really....

• 1 year later...

Just got a Kenlow fan made up some nice alloy brackets.

I've just hit one problem can't work out where to fix the wiring box. The sensor cable would be better longer at least then I could get it under the wing.

Anyone got any pictures on sitting it please?