12v impact wrench

Steve Warman

Looks like one to definitely avoid then.

I'll stick to my long bar and socket

thanks for all your replies

Just for reference, from the WSM:

Alloy wheels - 130 Nm (96 lbf/ft)

Steel wheels - 100 Nm (80 lbf/ft)

Heavy Duty wheels (Wolf) - 170 Nm (125 lbf/ft)

The quoted peak torque for the wrench is 170Nm!

So you think it couldn't tighten a wheel nut then?

Never rely on anything battery powered (deWalt or not) to tighten your wheel nuts fully. Always go around afterwards with a wheel brace / breaker bar and check they are tight. (I know you do Tony ;) )

I will never forget the poor chap on a trip to wales who offered to tighten everybody's nuts on the morning of a laning trip with his new wizzy battery rattle gun and and did his own car last only to loose a front wheel whilst on the road later in the day!laugh.giflaugh.gifph34r.gif

Never rely on anything battery powered (deWalt or not) to tighten your wheel nuts fully. Always go around afterwards with a wheel brace / breaker bar and check they are tight. (I know you do Tony ;) )

I will never forget the poor chap on a trip to wales who offered to tighten everybody's nuts on the morning of a laning trip with his new wizzy battery rattle gun and and did his own car last only to loose a front wheel whilst on the road later in the day!laugh.giflaugh.gifph34r.gif

Agree with you on chek them but you would be supprised how powerfull the top end guns are, i have a snap on 1/2 inch 18volt and is one of the best i have used but very spendy,

Carl.

I avoid Clarke products widely , They are cheap and nasty, But you get exactly what you pay for .

And I think alot of you are missing the point here , Wheels are to be tightend with a torque wrench , Using an impact gun will only either over tighten and stretch the studs or make a great tightening type of noise and they will still be loose .

we have one of the clarke cir24 cordless impact wrenches i think it was about 85 quid does the job not the best but i think it was worth the money,chris.

Brought a snap-on one, fantasic bit of kit to keep in the back of the disco, well worth the money.

andy

Would I buy a Machine Mart/Clarke power tool? No.

Either save up and spend the extra on decent kit, or save your money and don't buy it at all.

We learnt the expensive way that Machine Mart is junk. Expensive in being that if we took something back broken as a warranty claim, it was always our fault it broke. Or it would break just out of warranty. Either way their stuff doesn't last long when used regulary.

Another vote for the Sealey for whizzing nuts on/off. But I always check wheel nuts by hand afterwards. Pretty expensive, battery does not last that long, spare battery is ridiculous price even on eB*y.

Would I buy one, or the air powered version again ? Probably not. I'd save my money for a decent torque wrench set (1/2" and 3/8"), 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets and long/short metric and imperial sockets + 3 different length wobble extension bars. My Teng stuff has lasted well.

Regards

Richard

Another vote for the Sealey for whizzing nuts on/off. But I always check wheel nuts by hand afterwards. Pretty expensive, battery does not last that long, spare battery is ridiculous price even on eB*y.

Would I buy one, or the air powered version again ? Probably not. I'd save my money for a decent torque wrench set (1/2" and 3/8"), 1/2" and 3/8" ratchets and long/short metric and imperial sockets + 3 different length wobble extension bars. My Teng stuff has lasted well.

Regards

Richard

Bought a 1/2" square drive 3ft long breaker bar and 27mm impact socket from Drifield on the last day for £10. Due to the lack of security in Discos this is cheaper to loose than anything fancy. Also any tools broken at work the firm will replace. :rolleyes: