Building a Mini 'Pressure' Washer

Retroanaconda

Unfortunately for me I am not able to trailer my Land Rover to and from play-days/events whatever, and as a result I have to drive it to and from the sites. Driving it to the sites is never an issue, but driving back can be a bit tricky. On one occasion I had to stop about 5 or 6 times on the way home until I reached a petrol station with a washer so I could wash out the radiator and re-gain my cooling.

Having seen the flash lads at various sites (most recently the Shires event at Hogmoor) with their massive jet washers hosing down their trucks it got me thinking on something along the same lines. Obviously not something quite so extravagant, but just enough to be able to wash out the radiator/intercooler, and hose down the outside of the truck, lights/plates/sills/handles/windows etc.

As far as I can see, my options are as such:

Number one:

An expensive (but I assume good) proper portable pressure washer like
. Costing £90 it's obviously last on my list of options...

Number two:

Possibly a home-made affair consisting of some kind of 12V water pump (caravan one perhaps, or windscreen washer one), a water container and a bit of tubing

Number three:

Forget about powered options all together and instead head to the local garden centre and get me one of
. My only concern with that is the possible pressure limits, don't know if it will be enough to clear a radiator. Capacity is low too, but it can be re-filled with relative ease.

Has anybody else got in place such a system already? What sort of thing did you use?

I think the first one is just for cleaning a pushbike and the second wont have enough power, the best and cheapest option is a small 240v one i have seen them from £25 upwards or ... i have a petrol powered one thats needs a engine going cheap...

Petrol option does look great, but would not be a realistic option until I can afford to trailer to and from the events. Could be carried in the towing vehicle then.

I like the sound of the wire mesh, that stuff looks pretty fine but I guess it's got to be to stop the mud etc? Currently I'm using a piece of pond liner, positioned in front of the plastic grille so that there's still an air gap between rad and sheet, but of course it's not permeated in any way.

I'll see if I can source some locally.

TBH while I have never used one, I suspect even the 100psi "expensive" option is going to be fairly sh&te compared to a 1000-1500psi mains or petrol unit.

Mains water pressure here is about 4 bar (60psi) with a lot more flow than a little pressure washer (about 30-40L a minute) and I know you won't shift dried on cack in a hurry with a hosepipe.

Mains pressure washers work with little flow (10-15L a minute mostly) because of the very high pressure, but with 100psi and probably <10L a minute I think it would be somewhat disappointing, if not as disappointing as a garden sprayer (try pointing a 1500psi pressure washer at your flowerbed or tomato plants at short range to see the difference).

A winch motor coupled to the pump out of a mains powered pressure washer might be an interesting mobile combination :)

be careful with a pressure washer and radiators because they can blow the fins out of them, out one certainly would but it is an industrial farm one, personally if i were you i would go for a fair decent one from an auction or farm sale austion, some thing like that, they are fairly common and will be less than £100 secound hand, i mean ours looks old crappy and rust but it alot better than the modern plastic one's,

ihave in the past used a fire extinguisher the h2o type you can remove the top fill up with water and re charge using some one elses conpressor.also fly screen mesh in front of the rad works well you can carry a few if you want taking up no space.if you havent got an electric rad fan you can turn off when in deep mud the belt driven fan will still drag alot of craaaaaap into the rad core.also the heater flat out really helps.

Good ideas chaps. Clearly there is potential for a lash-up here, with some kind of beefy 12V motor and a pressure washer with a duff mains motor.

However, in time for this Sunday I think I'm going to see if I can get some mesh for the radiator (B&Q do it, will pop in and check the spacing of it), and maybe get a cheap garden sprayer just so I can do the lights/plates etc.

Edit: Alfred, my electric fan is currently K.I.A. and may not be revived before the weekend, so my plan is heater on full bore and windows open if necessary!

Chris Watts saved me one time at Slindon by letting me clean my rad with his water fire extinguisher, simple but effective. :)

Oh yes, I had forgotten about them. :) Available for free in your local leisure centre scrap metal merchant, refillable water fire extinguishers. Will do about one radiator per fill but can be filled in the field with a tyre compressor and some water.

Good but not brilliant, needs a lot of air.

Personally I am one of those who has a petrol pressure washer, brilliant, leave all the mud behind and take home a nice clean car - or quad in my case. Get together with a few friends and buy one. All you need is a small trailer with a 45gallon plastic drum full of water and you can leave it all chained to a tree while you play then clean off and go home.

Chris

Well I have been using a Killaspray for basic before-drive-home clean ups for years. Good for lights and windows, not amazing for rads but better than nothing, and has got me out of a hot spot many times.

However I'm quite sure I wouldn't want to be blasting anywhere near 100PSI at my radiator. The killaspray is far more gentle

I have seen folks using the green mesh that is used on scaffolding to very good effect as a radiator screen. When the mud clogs the mesh, just remove it, give it a quick shake and back on it goes.

I have a range rover washer bottle mounted in the back of mine, and I use the headlamp washer pump for this purpose. Simply with a long bit of hose attached and a simple nozzle turned in the lathe in the end it has a powerful jet. The standard rangie headlamp washer pump is actually very powerfull! You need a nozzle, as with just a plain bit of hose attached it empties the tank in less than 10 seconds witha jet that probably goes 5 meters straight up in the air!

A nozzle with a hole in it of about 1.5 mm or so gives me about 2 minutes of use and its great for washing out radiators, cleaning off lights etc. Hve a look at mine at the next shires event if you want.

Jon

I have a range rover washer bottle mounted in the back of mine, and I use the headlamp washer pump for this purpose. Simply with a long bit of hose attached and a simple nozzle turned in the lathe in the end it has a powerful jet. The standard rangie headlamp washer pump is actually very powerfull! You need a nozzle, as with just a plain bit of hose attached it empties the tank in less than 10 seconds witha jet that probably goes 5 meters straight up in the air!

A nozzle with a hole in it of about 1.5 mm or so gives me about 2 minutes of use and its great for washing out radiators, cleaning off lights etc. Hve a look at mine at the next shires event if you want.

Jon

ive seen this done, and i have saved myself a rangie headlight washer for the job!

The wire mesh works well and allows cooling to.

I remenber seeing a picture years ago of a air cooled volkswagen off roader/racer, it had a grill or mesh in front of the engine cooling fan intake and in front of this was draped about 3 or 4 lengths of short chain, fastened top and bottom loosely. The idea was you couldn't stop the grill getting muddy but as the mud dries the chains would jangle the dried mud off.