Advantages & disadvantages of Auto off road

M005

The underdrive is great and takes the strain out of the auto box (clutches/brakes) without the underdrive I have seen auto boxes die with the pressure of severe off roading. keep an eye on oil temp if you run without an underdrive or lower than std ratio diffs.

Or, get the best of both worlds with Auto + full manual valve body + deep gearing. As the meerkat says: simples smile.gif

They take some getting used to as I found out as the first few times I drove the racer in anger I kept putting it back into first and not third which is a little off putting at 60 odd on a muddy race stage.unsure.gif

it changes instantly no ifs or buts and leave nasty seat belt marks

ive been trialling a manual for over a year and when it comes round to building a new truck it'll get an auto (if i can fit it in)

manual is alright offroad and with a sensitive foot it will get good results but the shock loadings that can be put on the transmission kill diffs, halfshafts, and props so easily

Woke up this morning to find I'd won only my second ever ebay auction and am now the owner of a D1 300TDI Auto.

Assuming it's not a lemon, I'd better start making plans to get it off road ready and find the time to use it :unsure:

What happened to the 90 you where buying?

Ditto Mark ??? Though the 90 was bought and job done ??

As for man/auto,, all of above,,

Under 2.5 lts diesel = Manual

Proper offroad engine (V8)= Auto

The hybrid was bought, years ago, just because it was auto,, and the trayback, is currently undergoing a V8/auto/underdrive conversion,, as for me, a auto is a must,,

What happened to the 90 you where buying?

Delivery was dragging, giving me time to consider exactly how much use it will get with a 3.5yr old and a 3 month old taking up all of my free time, I concluded that I would get just as much fun out of a less than £1k LR as I would out of a £4.5k one.

Horses for courses, I've always had a soft spot for a well sorted Disco, and as this one isn't standing me at ~£9k like my last one, I can do what I want to it as it's disposable at this price.

And as Tim knows, the cash saved is going into another vehicle.

the shock loadings that can be put on the transmission kill diffs, halfshafts, and props so easily

While that might be true, the reliability (or lack off it) of the box itself does make up for this imo. Manual all the way for me, with a ratio low enough to give you all the control you would ever want.

Daan

Or, get the best of both worlds with Auto + full manual valve body + deep gearing. As the meerkat says: simples :)

Tell me of this wondrous device! Where does it come from, how hard is it to fit, and how much of my soul will I have to trade for it? The manual valve-pack that is, I'm not sure that I'd need the deep gearing.

This sounds like the thing that's haunted my dreams since the auto snuck into my truck. :rolleyes:

While that might be true, the reliability (or lack off it) of the box itself does make up for this imo. Manual all the way for me, with a ratio low enough to give you all the control you would ever want.

Daan

have thought about putting the series diffs back in to the rangerover axles i put on which would lower my gearing and give me the control back. but with the series gearbox i dont have much options for ratio changes so then end up with poor cruising gearing again.

a well set up manual and decent strength drivetrain is good (and the boxes are so simple that they cant really go wrong unless they're not strong enough) combined with a decent driver, but without using clutch you're never going to be able to get the slow crawl that you can get with an auto which i can see being a big bonus to me doing rtv trials.

i think the decision comes down to what sort of offroading you're doing

Tell me of this wondrous device! Where does it come from, how hard is it to fit, and how much of my soul will I have to trade for it? The manual valve-pack that is, I'm not sure that I'd need the deep gearing.

This sounds like the thing that's haunted my dreams since the auto snuck into my truck. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure you can get if for a ZF4 autobox - they are the stuff of racers/drag cars normally. You could try Ashcrofts as your first port of call. The thing is I'm not exactly using a gearbox from a Land Rover and it isn't terribly standard - it is rated to 900 bhp.....

I'm not sure you can get if for a ZF4 autobox - they are the stuff of racers/drag cars normally. You could try Ashcrofts as your first port of call. The thing is I'm not exactly using a gearbox from a Land Rover and it isn't terribly standard - it is rated to 900 bhp.....

... But how many lb/ft? The shaft in a turbocharger is delivering c.80 horsepower and they're quite spindly...

Daan

??? Spend more pennies on manuals, rebuilding/repairing/clutches/hydraulics etc,, never any bar oil changes on automatics,

Couldn't pay me to drive a antiquated manual

Having never driven one off road but hearing so many experienced people voicing their preference

it may well be the better choice but then I have no experience so would have to have a go in one in order to voice a valid opinion, but I would say having seen them in action it would also point to the need for a few more horses than a TDI offers

now I have read that on road in a TDI Auto is not a joy to behold, considering I use my 90 for tasks other than pure off road ventures, I would have to consider this in the first instance.

The power of a V8 in some form would seem to be the preferred choice or a decent TD5.

I guess like Tray backs they are the natural evolution of a dedicated event vehicle.

Previously I would have never wanted an Auto road car, now days I can't see the point of not having one.