Hi all Im new to the forum......

Garymv

last item i got with a problem was a front stub axle for a 24 spline 300tdi 90 - surface was very rough and the bearings were a very loose fit on the stub axle. so loose in fact that it was completely junk and i had to send it back.

:blink:

I think that Allmakes reputation could be enhanced significantly by sorting out the whole Gwyn Lewis thing.

I agree that if you use someone else's design as a basis for yours, but make an improvement to it, that's fair - but a straight copy is not. Exactly the same holds for patented designs - it's not an infringement if there is a tangible improvement to the design.

I speak to a lot of people who are very vective about this issue, and it's starting to rub off on the Terrafirma brand as a whole by word of mouth. I can't help thinking that the reputational damage costs more than the saving in hard, fiscal terms. Difficult to quantify I know.

Most Britpart and Bearmach patterned parts are coming form the same suppliers. After all there can only be so many companies in the world who make a "Third Sproklegrommet link pin" for example?

There appears however to be a difference in the perceived quality from the two. That can only be down to image and customer service.

Regards,

Si

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gary.

How about we kick off with hub seals then, 90/110/disco 1 :) Can't tell you the part nos. off the top of my head but these are items that I have trouble with :( Cost a quid or so from Paddocks for ones made of chocolate or £5/6/7 from a stealer for genuine which are good and last well. Is there an OEM part available that's priced half way ?

Cheers

Mo

to be sure can you please give me the part numbers and I will give you the versions available in the marketplace, whether it be Corteco or Indian versions

• 3 weeks later...

There is a reason that things are sold cheaper......

They are made cheaper....

Sorry but i try to stick to main dealer where possible as experience tells me "you get what you pay for"

I see your point but a bit of flexibility will save you a lot of money , take your injectors for instance , its a Bosch item in a genuine box and youre paying at least 30% more for it.

I see your point but a bit of flexibility will save you a lot of money , take your injectors for instance , its a Bosch item in a genuine box and youre paying at least 30% more for it.

The trouble is, it's difficult to know! Under my bench I have a UJ supplied as OEM as well as one purchased from a Main Dealer. Both are made by the same company - but the construction is somewhat different. In particular, the seal retainers and the size of the rollers used. It was cheaper - but it was not the same. I think the description 'OEM' means nothing. It's similar to 'Reconditioned' where a Reconditioned part may just have been jet washed and re-painted.

I think, very often you take a bigger risk with OEM than patterned. Patterned, you pay a low price and get low quality. OEM you pay a high price and gamble whether you get a high or low quality part!

Si

Well I have some experience of the various aftermarket parts suppliers. All my experiences with Britpart have been bad, and I mean bad. For that reason I never will supply them except at the customers risk - that is - no extended parts guarantee (fitment skill only). I would never recommend Britpart components to anybody, and I wouldn't deal with a company that supplies their parts - so I don't use Paddocks or Craddocks for that sole reason. I currently use Bearmach, and have done for a few years now because their parts are good quality (and that is the most important thing, both to me and my customers). Here in Swindon, Allmakes seems pretty-much not available from where I usually source my L/R parts, so I have little experience of them. I currently have an issue with Bearmach's faulty parts return policy, so am not currently using them until the matter is resolved. I have a parts order for almost £900 at present, and Bearmach aren't getting my business.

In my opinion - Paddocks and Craddocks have damaged their otherwise good reputation by selling rubbish Britpart items, and Bearmach's returns policy is both very inconvenient, awkward, expensive, difficult to resolve, and just a huge pain in the ass.

Les.

Hi Les , give me a shout and I will put you in touch with our sales director who will be glad to help.

regards

Gary

Allmakes

Sorry but i try to stick to main dealer where possible as experience tells me "you get what you pay for"

I have to agree.

Having seen quality of parts regularly discussed, I go to the Land Rover parts counter at my local dealer for most things.

Yes, it may cost more. But it'll fit and do the job. Which means a whole lot less time messing about, which is also time and money wasted in the long run. And that's without the frustration of being sold utter cr*p which would spoil my enjoyment of the vehicle.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Gary.

I admire you for registering here and asking for feedback. More companies should do the same.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to agree.

Having seen quality of parts regularly discussed, I go to the Land Rover parts counter at my local dealer for most things.

Yes, it may cost more. But it'll fit and do the job. Which means a whole lot less time messing about, which is also time and money wasted in the long run. And that's without the frustration of being sold utter cr*p which would spoil my enjoyment of the vehicle.

Oh, and welcome to the forum Gary.

I admire you for registering here and asking for feedback. More companies should do the same.

Hiya Top

thanks for the welcome.

any help you might need with "dubious" parts give me a shout and Ill help were I can

cheers

Gary

Gary? I don't suppose we could perhaps deal direct with your company and also get a discount for forum members could we? through some way-perhaps doing it online?

John

What about setting up part of the companies website so that we as a forum can use a discount number so to speak to get a discount that way? It'd either be a personal discount number for the individual or something similar

And I can see why the mod's don't want advertising on here, as it's great not having to wait for a page to download and wade through the adverts like on other forums

John

Also, imagine if, say, Britpart sponsored the forum, do you think they would continue to sponsor it with the degree of bad feeling on here?! Much better to keep it independant, thats why we make contributions (however big or small) to the forum coffers....

Also, imagine if, say, Britpart sponsored the forum, do you think they would continue to sponsor it with the degree of bad feeling on here?! Much better to keep it independant, thats why we make contributions (however big or small) to the forum coffers....

I can't begin to imagine ***tpart's response to that invitation!

I think the various companies represented on here get quite enough advertising, for free, with the blessing of the rest of the membership :P

No problem if companies and traders want to offer discounts to their friends from the forum (you could view it as pay-back for the help and encouragement we give :rolleyes: ) but I'm with the concensus - we are beholden to no-one and that means freedom to get on with being the No.1 friendly and balanced source of LR related wisdom (other makes of 4x4 are available) on the web.

</twopenneth>

• 2 months later...

I can't begin to imagine ***tpart's response to that invitation!

I think the various companies represented on here get quite enough advertising, for free, with the blessing of the rest of the membership :P

No problem if companies and traders want to offer discounts to their friends from the forum (you could view it as pay-back for the help and encouragement we give :rolleyes: ) but I'm with the concensus - we are beholden to no-one and that means freedom to get on with being the No.1 friendly and balanced source of LR related wisdom (other makes of 4x4 are available) on the web.

</twopenneth>

Just to clarify I was only kidding! :lol:

But the offer is still open for any help with parts, where they come from etc.

cheers

Gary

Why can't (if Allmakes quality and prices are competitive) we purchase through our website, automatically giving us a forum discount.

Anything purchased through LR4x4 would receive some sort of commission which could be paid into the kitty. LR4x4 acting as an agent for Allmakes.

If Allmakes are confident about quality etc then shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure a businessman will be along shortly to tell me why we can't :)

This the international forum and although most contributors are UK based, I too am interested in this subject as I have had some ****part stuff that I have not wanted to ship back to UK as the shipping is very high.

I would like to know where Allmakes parts are marketed where shipping outside of Europe is also offered. I have a 300tdi Disco so I cant get parts from the dealer.

Is it possible to know if Allmakes parts are marketed in USA for instance?

Thanks for the help.