Hi all Im new to the forum......

Garymv

Hi all Im new to the forum and as Purchasing Manager at Allmakes I am interested in comments made about components in the marketplace .

I can also help if you have questions regarding quality and issues of any parts from ourselves here at Allmakes or from our competitors.

cheers

Gary

Hi Gary and Welcome.

Personally, I think it's great to have representitves of parts suppliers on here. If we can have some input into the parts supplied, then that can only be a good thing.

There was a thread on here recently about cheap and rover parts vs parts for other marques, which should give you the general opinion of most LR owners on OEM/genuine parts. I can't find it at the moment.

Was it Si that said "if it moves, seals or is safety critical - use genuine, otherwise use OEM". I think this typifies the general consensus to parts in blue boxes. Maybe you could change that Garry? :)

Cheers,

Thanks for the welcome all...........Ive done 8 years parts counter 5 years Britpart and four years Bearmach prior to my two years up to now here at Allmakes.

I hope this will help anyone who may have issues with certain items they wish to buy.........I'll be as honest as I can and try to advise on whether its better to spend that little bit extra on certain parts ;)

Anything I cant answer regarding fit I'll ask Dan over at Frogs Island for you.

cheers again

Gary

Hi all Im new to the forum and as Purchasing Manager at Allmakes I am interested in comments made about components in the marketplace .

I can also help if you have questions regarding quality and issues of any parts from ourselves here at Allmakes or from our competitors.

cheers

Gary

Hi Gary and welcome

A good place to start would be who within Allmakes made the decision to rip off Gwyn Lewis's shock mount designs and produce them under you own brand??

Cheers

Steve

Hi Gary and welcome

A good place to start would be who within Allmakes made the decision to rip off Gwyn Lewis's shock mount designs and produce them under you own brand??

Guess that's the end of your probation there, Gary!

Welcome, O brave one ... ;)

Hi Gary and welcome

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve

cheers for the welcome...........

Im presuming the items you are referring to are under the Terrafirma brand, unfortunately I have no say in what has been designed and used under this brand name.

If you give me the part numbers I can look into it for you and hopefully satisfy your question.

In defence though, although a weak one ,if a design is a good one and not protected then why not mimic a good design, most aftermarket parts have been ripped off on occasions.

cheers

Gary

Anyway, point made, Welcome Gary :)

Regarding Quality, Gary, you'll find Britpart generally referred to as ****part here as people discover how good some of their parts are.

Be nice if we could find more OEM parts so that we can get the quality without having to pay Land Rovers extortionate mark up.

Mo

some britpart items are actually very good. or at least acceptable within landrovers horrific tolerances :ph34r:

but other items are truly appalling. Water pump with more play in the spindle than the knackered one i took off, stub axle that allowed the bearings to physically rattle on them - never mind being a nice tight snug fit....... those are 2 examples from personal experience, but the examples from others on here are endless i'm afraid.

I know britpart are also doing spares for other makes like Jaguar now, i would be extremely interested to know if the quality control and consistency is the same for their parts as for landrover parts. I think not, i unfortunately think aftermarket parts manufacturers think they can get away with poor quality for us lot as "we're used to it".

Well copying an idea and then improving on it isn't generally a problem in my view, after all that's how Land Rovers came to be in the first place!

We were taught at Uni (for the media world) that "it's not plagiarism if you do it better" which seems to be very true as people tend not to have an issue with it in that case.

I would rather nail my ear to a tyre than buy anything Britpart,

everything parts wise I have in the past ended up either binned

or being thrown at the dealer who sold it me if it involved them :angry:

Bearmach stuff can be pretty good to superb, timken bearings and decent parts, some are iffy, but good in the main

Allmakes, well the springs I bought less than 3 months ago sagged and were binned, and fitted genuine

they were complete junk IMHO bought from Keith Gotts, just binned them ansd cursed myself for

not buying genuines, they weren't even the same height when I bought 2 of them (red & Whites) FFS

But at the time I was desperate so risked it - my mistake :(

All in all I view pattern stuff with huge mistrust, some stuff is good majority is a steaming heap of poorly made

junk that dealers should actually be ashamed to sell anyone, even their worst enemy

Oh, and welcome BTW :rofl:

Nige

Well I have some experience of the various aftermarket parts suppliers. All my experiences with Britpart have been bad, and I mean bad. For that reason I never will supply them except at the customers risk - that is - no extended parts guarantee (fitment skill only). I would never recommend Britpart components to anybody, and I wouldn't deal with a company that supplies their parts - so I don't use Paddocks or Craddocks for that sole reason. I currently use Bearmach, and have done for a few years now because their parts are good quality (and that is the most important thing, both to me and my customers). Here in Swindon, Allmakes seems pretty-much not available from where I usually source my L/R parts, so I have little experience of them. I currently have an issue with Bearmach's faulty parts return policy, so am not currently using them until the matter is resolved. I have a parts order for almost £900 at present, and Bearmach aren't getting my business.

In my opinion - Paddocks and Craddocks have damaged their otherwise good reputation by selling rubbish Britpart items, and Bearmach's returns policy is both very inconvenient, awkward, expensive, difficult to resolve, and just a huge pain in the ass.

Les.

Anyway, point made, Welcome Gary :)

Regarding Quality, Gary, you'll find Britpart generally referred to as ****part here as people discover how good some of their parts are.

Be nice if we could find more OEM parts so that we can get the quality without having to pay Land Rovers extortionate mark up.

Mo

Hi Mo

I can address each enquiry if you give me part numbers.............

I can give you an answer on where each item has come from and my personal honest opinion on the application 1.e. whether I would use that part myself or maybe give an alternative idea.

I try where I can to source from the OE suppliers to add an OE version to our range, although we have a Land Rover account , Land Rover do try to stop us when they can.

I personally welcome criticism and hope I can help where I can but I will have trouble righting wrongs from the past.

cheers

Gary

Bearmach's returns policy is both very inconvenient, awkward, expensive, difficult to resolve, and just a huge pain in the ass.

is that an agent or a main depot? we use the main depot here (the one in Caerphilly) and they give a superb service.

anyway, welcome to the forum Gary, not many suppliers are brave enough to show their faces on forums because of some of the issues that you have been told about.

but, at the end of the day, if people are only willing to vent their spleens on forums (and this is not aimed at anyone one here, but in the land of forums in general) then how are the suppliers supposed to rectify problems? let's hope that we can all benefit from the comments you will be given on here, and that it gives allmakes a better name and a higher quality of service/parts.

but, at the end of the day, if people are only willing to vent their spleens on forums (and this is not aimed at anyone one here, but in the land of forums in general) then how are the suppliers supposed to rectify problems? let's hope that we can all benefit from the comments you will be given on here, and that it gives allmakes a better name and a higher quality of service/parts.

I think the trouble is that many have tried venting at the suppliers. General consensus is that Britpart dont listen or take comlaints seriously, hence why many vent on here about their stuff. However, its good to find someone who is willing to listen and hopefully improve the service/quality of one of the suppliers of parts for our vehicles! - welcome to the forum Gary!

Thanks Gary.

How about we kick off with hub seals then, 90/110/disco 1 :) Can't tell you the part nos. off the top of my head but these are items that I have trouble with :( Cost a quid or so from Paddocks for ones made of chocolate or £5/6/7 from a stealer for genuine which are good and last well. Is there an OEM part available that's priced half way ?

Cheers

Mo