Where Do You Buy Flap Wheels

Since I am a pretty sh*te welder (which I blame on having to do it all outside) I get through a lot of flap wheels/discs tidying the job up with the angle grinder. So where can I get good quality long lasting 115mm flap discs ?

All help gratefully received

Regards

Richard

As I'm pretty new to welding, am I missing something?

Currently using grinding discs for dressing and prepping. I recently learned about 1mm cutting discs and am well impressed, so are flappers something else I should be looking at?

What are the benefits and uses please?

Thanks, Martin (always happy to learn if it makes things quicker/cheaper/easier/all three!)

Flap wheels are usually used when you are going to weld the metal - you clean off with a grinding disc, then 'polish off' with a flap wheel. This makes the metal very smooth and shiny (almost like it's been polished). Flap wheels usually come in 3-grades (fine, medium, and coarse).

I bought some from MachineMart and they broke up very quickly (chunks of flaps came off, making the wheel unuseable). I get them in packs of 5 from Screwfix now and they seem to last very well.

Flap wheel (grinding disc)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/86054/Abrasives/Sanding-Discs/115mm-Alox-Discs/Zirconium-Grinding-Disc-80-Grit-115-x-22mm

Les.

Flap discs are superb for cleaning off after welding. You can grind most of the excess off with a normal disc if you like but the flap disc will help you achieve a really tidy seam as it'll remove the ridge without damaging the job itself. Well worth trying!

I only have one angle grinder, so I tend to do most metal removal with a flap disc as I find it gentler and there is then less wheel swapping.

When there is a lot to remove, or an awkward corner to get into (ie usually bad weld to grind out and do again !) I use the grinding disc.

I got the tip of using flapwheels from watching a couple of episodes of some people making fancy custom bikes in the US. I cannot remember the name, but I recall a father and son that argue a lot.

Regards

Richard

I practically never use a grinding disc - it is either super thin cutting discs from right lines or flap wheels from Propper Job.

A coarse flap wheel will take off material way quicker than a grinding disc will in my experience and you get much more control over the surface finish too.

I practically never use a grinding disc - it is either super thin cutting discs from right lines or flap wheels from Propper Job.

A coarse flap wheel will take off material way quicker than a grinding disc will in my experience and you get much more control over the surface finish too.

Agreed ^^^

• 2 weeks later...

BRILLIANT for dressing welds and prepping edges. Very fast and much nicer finish than with a grinding disc!

Thanks for the tip :D

A quick photo for others, like me, who were not sure...this was achieved in literraly seconds!

post-12723-127470966258_thumb.jpg

BRILLIANT for dressing welds and prepping edges. Very fast and much nicer finish than with a grinding disc!

Thanks for the tip biggrin.gif

A quick photo for others, like me, who were not sure...this was achieved in literraly seconds!

Martin, how did you think I got the welds on my trailer build so flush!!!!

Knowing how much of a perfectionist you are...

...Brasso tongue.gif

Glad I tried one - makes even my dodgy welding look good laugh.gif

Mmmmmmm Brasso, takes me back to my RAF days!!!! biggrin.gif