Legalities of using a lightbar / lamp

winton

As many of you will have defenders with lightbars or flashing lamps on the roof, I wondered what the legalities of these were? Obviously those blue in color are a no go. I have an ex-national grid defender that I'd like to give back it's flashing lights - can I use these while greenlaning? Use on road I understand is illegal.

can be used if your vehicle is towing a brokendown vehicle [not on a trailer] or parked & possibly causing a temporary obstruction, at the scene of a accident [if you are 1st or 2nd on the scene] to warn other road users, don't drive with it illuminated if you are not doing any of the previously mentioned.

Thank you sir!

That's quite all-right, it's one of those questions that has arisen before in the past along with such things as..

Who's the best insurance company.

What's the best rust-proofer and exactly what bits need squirting with it.

Does my rear crossmember need replacing.

How do I get the SWR down on my CB.

Will these tyres destroy my wheel-arches.

I wanna lift my motor 6 inches, how do I do it for £15.

What's making my steering all wobbly.

What colour is it.

How do I stop the water getting in.

How do I stop the water getting out.

;)

That's quite all-right, it's one of those questions that has arisen before in the past along with such things as..

Who's the best insurance company.

What's the best rust-proofer and exactly what bits need squirting with it.

Does my rear crossmember need replacing.

How do I get the SWR down on my CB.

Will these tyres destroy my wheel-arches.

I wanna lift my motor 6 inches, how do I do it for £15.

What's making my steering all wobbly.

What colour is it.

How do I stop the water getting in.

How do I stop the water getting out.

;)

Now that you mention it, I'm not sure what color white my 90 is..... :lol: :lol: ;)

What the fork is this (random lump of corrosion)?

It won't start

My nodular flange widget is stuck - how do I remove it using basic tools?

I've let all the smoke out of the electrics, and now I've run out of paper clips

Can I fit (random but obscure LR part) to a (random vehicle)?

I've just bought a ton and half of corrosion on wheels, what do you think?

Should there be water in this bit?

I've built this (thing) out of (random parts), how do get it registered?

Perhaps some re-titling in the Tech Archive might lighten the day :D

And my personal favourite

My Engine / MS / V8 / won't run right and I have tried everything what could it be ?

<answer>

99.99% sure you will find its the X that wrong

<answer back>

"No, Even tho I have NFI what is stopping it working,.. its not that as I have checked it 10x"

Five pages later X is found to be wrong :(

Nige

Another thing that may be worth considering is this.A few years ago we had a 110 that we used for roadside breakdowns,when it retired my mate bought it and removed the light bar and the mpg increased by about 10% :blink: .Another thing to consider is that if your greenlanes have overhanging trees/branches it may get expensive??

Just a thought?

Paul :)

I may well be wrong but perhaps what David meant is why would you specifically want / need a lightbar specifically for greenlane use?

You were correct, it was greenlane use I was thinking of, but I deliberately left the question as open as possible.

The reply "Because it undeniably looks cool?" said everything I needed to know, so no response was necessary.

The fact that I don't share the same logic is not the issue.

Cheers.

I've decided against fitting one, it seems that I'd never be able to use them and the whole Land Rover community is united in thinking if you have no legal use and still fit one, your a Burke.

Point taken :)

My No.1 useless accessory for land rovers -an amber beacon, or two, or five.

Why do Land rover owners have this urge to fit them?

Less than 1% of LR owners would have a legitimate need for them. The others are just misguided / deranged / twerps.

All the above is of course my personal opinion and may not necessarily represent the views or opinions of the management. (Although I am fairly sure Nige will agree with me!! :D :D)

My No.1 useless accessory for land rovers -an amber beacon, or two, or five.

Agree. Only once in my 20 years of "normal" landrover ownership have I ever legitimately needed one, towing a large demo unit around town at 10mph.

I see a lot of situations where they would be preferable to Hazard lights - mainly where you can only see one flashing indicator. Is he signaling to pull out or just causing an obstruction?

Sometimes it would be nice to indicate that there is a hazard AND I'm about to turn right.

I saw a nice light bar on a road maintenance van. It only stood about 1cm proud of the roof and used coloured LED's to repeat all the rear lights plus double-flashing warning lights.

Si

I had 2 amber LED warning lights on my old 110.

The main reason for them was that I had found myself stopped or traveling slowly a few times in dangerous places.

One particular situation was coming across a guy who had run out of petrol in the centre lane of the motorway at rush-hour. He was particularly clueless and didn't even have his lights on. Having seen rear-end collisions all the time on this particular stretch, I'm pretty sure he would not have lasted long if I hadn't stopped.

The last trip my 110 made was when my mum was driving it. She lost drive and ended up stationary in the fast lane of the motorway, in the dark. It was her 2nd time driving the truck. Despite having been briefed on how and when to use the ambers, she didn't find the switch and was rear-ended at about 50mph. I'm convinced the accident wouldn't have happened if the ambers had been switched on.

They will be going on my new 110.

I wanted better rear lights, but didn't want to look like the 'letsoffroad!' brigade, so I added 300-series Disco rear lights to my hardtop, to very good effect. With LED bulbs in they were very effective in the dark, and I got as far as thinking about how to make them strobe - and then fitted a soft top and ruined the whole thing.

post-277-128138095875_thumb.jpg

Click on this to see a very crude animation of hazard lights...

post-277-128138095693_thumb.gif